View Single Post
Old 28-05-2011, 04:35 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, it has been a while, but it @ last moves from its resting place for the last 30 years.

I have managed to get some photos of the actual state of the car, some bits are better than excpected, a couple, including the roof itself, are in slightly worse condition.

To give you all an idea....

Outside

Inside
Wiring --

Floor --

Trim --

Dash and gauges --

Accessory wiper motor --

Aux air vent control --

Main beam switch --

Fog and spot lamp switches --

Brightwork
Radiator grille trims

Old and new "Popular" badges for bootlid --

Bootlid lock cover --

Bonnet rear retaining clip --

Original radiator grille emblem --

Brand new emblem to go in its place --

New inserts to go between wings and body --

Spare wheel with brand new tyre

Old wheel with knackered tyre

Spare gearbox

Ash roof bracing bars (impossible to find nowadays)

I have already purchased a new roof material and fixing kit for the outside, but have not taken any photos of these items yet.

Heater system and 100E carb and airbox

Radiator was filled with 50/50 antifreeze and water when it was put into storage. There does not appear to have been any leaks, and there is still traces of water in the radiator, so possibly looking good for salvaging the cooling system

Jacking holes in the floor

And unfortunately, the roof

Fortunately, the rust is all just below the surface, as in, if you dig it with a screwdriver or similar, it does pretty much scratch off to good metal underneath. So, next time I go round to it (hopefully to take the engine out) I can put some rust treatments on the areas affected and it should stop any further rust.

The rest of the car is spot-on as far as corrosion goes. The roof needs repainting now due to scratches, etc... and the drivers wing needs paint due to things having been rubbed against it during its years, but not visible whilst in the garage. The rest of the body just really needs a good t-cut and wax and it should be good to go.

The list of things to get is not that long, mainly silly things like wheel brace, jack, starting handle, some assorted clips, etc... to get the ball rolling.

The wheels in the pics above are to go away for shot-blasting and will be going back on the car in their original colours with new tyres. The "new" tyre in the picture will be used for the spare.

What is more amazing is that, although it has sat for over 30 years without moving, and on flat tyres, they all pumped up to 30psi and the car simply rolled out of the garage.

All the interior door cards, etc.. will be getting replaced with new board and most likely, a velour finish. Eventually, the seats will be going from blue to red and a carpet will be installled.

The car has now been turned round in the garage and is ready to have its engine removed. More to follow......