Old 24-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ECU Monitor Enthusiast
In the early days of my mapping, I learned the hard way and melted 3 YB's ..LOL
What did you actually do to melt them?
run them too lean?

Anyway, once you have mastered the principles, using differnt ecu types is just a matter of getting around how the mapping software works as some are brilliant to use and some really dont help at all and then others like Emarald should stick to N/A cars mapping 1 byte a day
Agreed, mapping cars is about knowing what an engine requires, the ecu / carbs / dizzy / or even emerald are there just to allow you to try and give it what it wants.

People who are computer experts and have no experience of engines make lousy mappers IME, they think cause the mapping screen looks like Excel that they know what they are doing, but they often dont realise how much different just a small change can make.
Im not down on IT people, in fact I have actually got a software engineering degree myself but it doesnt help me at all when it comes to mapping cars and lots of IT peopel think it will.
The reason that I was able to map cars very easily when I first tried was that for years before that I had been altering fuelling on carbs and altering timing curves on dizzys etc so already knew what an engine wanted fuelling and timing wise before I ever even saw an ECU.
There is a lot of good info out there now that there wasnt back when I started though so Im sure that these days you can pick it up without needing so much prior experience.