View Single Post
Old 23-10-2010, 06:50 PM
janvanv
www.rallyanarchy.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey madmen, I'm the guy that is doing the Supra diff kit.
The idea was that I wanted to do several things at once since our US market cars never had the option of a LSD and Cossie diffs are still only 2 pinion design and no easy method here in the US to up-rate the VC like you can there.
So I wanted:
a) Easy availability
b) big increase in strength with 4 pinion LSD
c) wide choice of ratios
d) easy install

The MkIII, MA70 Supra diff meets all these demands with a wide margin.
Those Supras, while not my cuppa tea stress the diff two ways: big 3,0 liter turbo does make some poop, that's stress, plus it is a real pig weighing in at maybe 3500lbs, and weight is stress also.
Drift-looonies claim they make 700bhp in those motors easily and report no problem with the unit, sounds good to me.
Granted it weighs about 17 lbs more than US market Xratty (Xr4ti) open 7.5 diff but anything bigger and stronger is going to weigh more.

It's 40mm narrower than a Ford 7.5" diff and its inner CV bolt up is BIG making the adaptor rings easyand as Kevin "the Bronze" mentioned I make the adaptors ready for 2wd M10 bolts or the US (and 4x4) so called 100mm CVs with the M8 bolts as well.

Toyota trucks are extreeeeeemly popular here for playing in the deserts or as rock-crawlers in the mountains with big tires so there is an enormous range of alternate ratios if the standard ratios don't suit you.
Guys I know in the diff business say the bearings are the size of US Ford 8.8" diffs and very strong.
Standard ratios HERE are:
Early turbo manual box: 3,9:1
Later turbo manual box: 3.73:1
All years turbo autotragic box: 4,3:1
All years non turbo with "touring package"...4.3:1

But there are endless choices since Toyota used the 8" in a lot of vehicles including some of their vans in 3.73 or 4.3, in pick-ups at 3,9 and 4,1 and 4.56
And the prices for new range from 155-225 USD for new crown wheel and pinion sets.
Crazy!
Hooking up the propshaft is easy enough with weld in yokes and a nice flange for the companion flange that use a BIG Spicer 1310 u-joint.

The kit is USD300 and the propshaft parts are about another 100 US.

I've seen MkIII Supra diffs go for 50 squids there in UK.

If you're interested, the e-mail above does work or better is the same janvanvurpa but at gmail dot com rather than the old F4.ca addy.
There is the phone too but you guys better not call at 0430 like one guy did.
We're 9 hours behind you guys so 7PM would be NOON here.

NOTE: If you find yourself at the breakers with tools in hand to pull one, save the 12 nuts for the Supra inner CVs, they're some reduced hex fine thread Japanese thread ( I believe it's M10 x 1.25 with 14mm hex, you'll have no joy searching for the 14 hex.)
Also save the propshaft to companion flange bolts, this time they're nice shouldered M10x 1, nice fasteners so save them.

You high HP boys that want to really launch hard would be well advised to consider doing as Ford did in Motorsport as carefully described in the old "How to Prepare the Sierra for Motorsport" book regarding using a solid spacer between the pinion bearings rather than the OEM collapsible spacer. The pinion tends to "screw in" when you pound the pedal down and "un-screw' when you let off, and repeated heavy applications of the "full wellie" tends to pound the collapsible spacer and it shortens and you loose the correct pre-load for the pinion's taper roller bearings---and failure is the end result.
Pretty damn hard to collapse a solid steel sleeve.
Kits are available for the Toyota 8" unit for $18-25....but anybody with a lathe could make a spacer in a few minutes....
That's the only complaint I've been able to find on the Toyota diff but in truth it applies to all pinion set ups with the bulgie type collapsible spacer (as we see, Ford says do it on their own units)

Note! 4x4 boys can find 3,9 front diffs easy enough, now you can have an unbreakable rear diff with same ratio...