View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 07:06 AM
hineho87
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hogdog
The deal breaker is the IB5, it's not even strong enough for a very mild conversion.
cheers for the info m8, will give it a miss in that case.

Originally Posted by Davemurphy007
There's no way in hell you are going to be able to achieve this with the 1.8's chocolate pistons, shitty clutch and fragile gearbox.

Either start a build with a 2.0 litre blacktop engine which has Mahle pistons as standard and under piston oil squirters (just be aware the rods and rod bolts are the weak link) or drop in a Focus RS engine (buy a written off one and swap everything over).

Now that that bit's out of the way.

My questions are:
- is it worth doing using the ERST manifold/turbo? Focus RS exhaust manifold will be a much better yet still fairly cheap option
- will i need aftermarket management or can i just map my std ecu? You will need an aftermarket ECU - you CANNOT convert to forced induction with just a remap
- is std inlet manifold ok? Will i need uprated injectors? Uprated injectors for definite. Pass on the standard inlet manifold (though bear in mind it's plastic!)
- any other parts need uprating? (iv currently got full exhaust/induction/cam mods) Throw out the cams you have, if they are aftermarket jobbies for an NA engine then they will be no good for a turbo engine
- will my gearbox be ok running that power? if not wot other options are there? Already made my point on that one. You'll blow it apart without much effort, assuming you can stop the clutch slipping
- what sort of costs would the parts cost and rough idea on fittin costs/time? A decent, reliable turbo conversion starts at around 5k using decent spec parts, aftermarket parts and a decent mapping session

There's no such thing as a 'cheap' turbo conversion - you either pay for it upfront to be done properly or you do it on the cheap to begin with then spend a fortune over the long run fixing all the things that break.
cheers for the info m8, glad thats all cleared up. I av bin gettin various different people and tuners givin me different info so its gud to know its not worth doing to a 1.8. Iv seen one company who had a 1.8 turbo with 230/240 bhp with std internals but didnt think that wud be safe lol.

Will keep me eye out for an st focus and buy one instead as i cant fix my car or build the car myself so cud end up spending loads!!

Least i know now and im not one of those people who bodges it cheap first time and spends more sorting it out, but just wondered if there was a cheap reliable alternative to an rs transplant

Originally Posted by focusrrx87
mine is at enhanched performance being finished and mapped,

2.1 zetec, forged pistons/rods p.e.c bearings, arp bolts, gt25 with thrust bearing (for now) mtx75 with lsd, 6 paddle clutch, plus a massive list of other parts injectors, fuel pump, swirl pot ect ect

on the plus side of 5k already, going gt28 and racing concept manifold next year thats another 2k!!

cheapest option for you is focus rs engine.
cheers m8, ur car sounds gud, bet it will go well. I dont really want be spending that sort of money plus i wud be paying someone to this for me, so finding someone who knows what there doing it hard as well.