View Single Post
Old 27-08-2010, 09:38 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the love of god do NOT remove the cam pulleys!!!

1. theres no need to, the timing of the cams is kept by the locking bar in the back of the cams.

2. its a cheap desgn where there are no flats or woodruff keys the cams and pulleys are just tapered and if not torqued up properly they will spin fucking your valves and needing a replacement engine. best to just leave them, when these engines were first built if they spin during testing the engine is just binned at the factory!

one thing you may find when locking the crank (i did on my 2l) is that you can still turn the crank one way so make sure its turned back to the pin (acts as a stop when you turn the crank back). its not difficult just something i noiced and to be aware of.

one last thing you may or may not know. dont use the crank locking pin and cam locking bar to lock the engine to undo the crank pulley bolt, it wont work and you may damage something. i've always had an assistant (mum, dad or brother) to stick the car in gear and stand bum off seat on the brakes while i attack the bolt with my breaker bar....its quite tight

Ps. get a cam bet kit with the pulleys and do the water pump while your there!