Old 27-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Jim S
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Location: Yarm (Teesside) previously from Fyvie (Aberdeenshire)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stu21t
update,
and for some reason i had 2 3mm plates between the engine and gearbox, to give the release bearing a bit of space to release, but i will be removing them to bring the box closer to the engine. this will help with disengagement and also give me more spline contact.
You need 5mm of clearance between the release bearing and the pressure plate (on a new pressure plate), this is to allow for the weakening of the pressure plate i.e. as it gets weaker it moves closer to the bearing.

Mine was too close and I ended up with a slipping clutch and thought I needed a new one and it turned out it was just set up too close.

With a central hydraulic slave cylinder it only moves back so just to clear the pressure plate so as not to give too much delay in the clutch working when you next press the pedal. Then as the pressure plate weakens the slave cylinder moves further back.

Do you have two plates, if so did you have them back to back, I had a similar problem with my input shaft and I turned one of my plates to face the same way (the one nearest the engine), had to skim the spline part down a touch to clear the other plate but it ensured full contact with the spline.

Last edited by Jim S; 27-04-2010 at 07:45 PM.