Old 16-02-2010, 07:55 AM
mozzy
Ford for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twoblacklines
Im thinking of mufflerectormy, this is where you weld straight 2.5 - 3" pipe from the exhaust manifold all the way to the back of the car. This gets rid of alot of turbo lag, and you get to hear the turbo aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUew...eature=related

Now this is good but its loud and ofcourse lots of smoke is produced.

So i have a question : do exhaust silencers (like a middle box) and diesel particulate filters (that get rid of smoke) affect performance and turbo lag ? This way i could make a smoke-free quiet exhaust system, but retain the less-lag performance. Im doing all this before i chip the car, i have a BMC CDA kit to go on aswell.

This is for my daily, a passat PD130.

thankyou.

a friend did this to his golf and it was gutless as hell, something to do with turbo diesels needing back pressure (he4 removed every box inc cat and had a straight through pipe), it was a golf gt tdi 150.

my citroen c4 vts 2.0 hdi i used to have had been remapped and within a month the dpf needed replacing, one morning the obc said dpf fluid low (still had 3/4 of a bottle of fluid left), next morning it would not start, the dpf had melted and the dpf ecu was fubbered, not sure if the remap caused it or not though but i know £780 later it was ok again but occasionly when driving at one set speed on the motorway for a prolonged time it would start feeling a bit lifeless (had 169 bhp and 262 lb/ft) then when you dropped a gear and floored it ridicolous amounts of soot and smoke would pourfrom the back then it would be ok again, the dpf was clogging so i was told, again not sure if this was due to the remap but before that it was fine, could maybe just be down to the fact it was a citroen lol

Last edited by mozzy; 16-02-2010 at 08:05 AM.