Old 12-01-2010, 11:35 AM
NomadPaul
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 w reg Ford Focus 1.8 zetec petrol won't start

1999 w reg Ford Focus 1.8 zetec petrol

Hi all , i'm hoping that someone can give me some advice on my focus thats having starting probs.
The car refused to start on new years day - It will turn over nicely but just doesn't start. I was recovered by GreenFlag after he spent an hour trying to start it unsuccessfully. We narrowed it down to lack of fuel coming into the engine. He checked fuses , sparking and relays and they all seemed ok.
Anyways , on getting it home , we tried it again and the bloomin' thing fired up and ran for about 5mins. 'Oh Happy days' i thought. The GF mech thought there might have been some crap either in the fuel pump or on the Crank Positioning sensor that prob got dislodged during recovery.
Unfortunately , when i went out the next day , it wouldn't start again . The symptons were the same , turns over but not firing up. I have ordered a crankshaft positioning sensor , which arrived today but i have yet to fit. Of course , we've had the bad weather since NY day so my batteries dead too now but that i can deal with.

Am i on the right path with the Crankshaft pos sensor ? If this doesn't work , i guess i'll be looking at the fuel pump which i believe is built into the fuel tank itself .

....my only other worry is that the sensor i ordered looks a little 'fatter' than the ones i've seen elsewhere and it came labelled as Cam/crankshaft positioning sensor. Are they the same beast ?

Many thanks with your help in advance

Paul