View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldo
The reason it surprises me is that in the gym i use there are very few people who can press 100kg for reps, literally only 4/5 that i know of. On the smith though, i see people with 2 plates a side a bit more often but in reality - depending on smith machine - its only maybe 90-95kg give or take a bit.
I would say that in the gym I use over 50% of the members do 100Kgs & over. Then again its a small private gym (25 ish members) and its purely a weight lifting gym, no thrills, old machines, spit and sawdust kinda place.

I remember when I first started out @ 16 odd the chap that used to own the gym I went to always said 100Kgs was the benchmark (excuse the pun) and that he was going to have a plaque on the wall with peoples names on that could press 100Kgs convincingly for atleast one rep. At the time I thought that I would never get there and that only one or two people would get their names on it. If doing that now I think it needs to be set at 150 or 200Kgs in my gym. My old training partner used to do over 200Kgs for 3-4 reps. Mind you he is 20+ stone of animal.

Originally Posted by dp1958
think you have to include the bar though,20kg...has to be included i know i do.....
The trick is to get strong enough that you don't need to count the bar. Next you'll be adding the weight of your gloves and watch. Only joking, with an Olympic bar its worth including as its 20Kgs odd but for a normal bar without the sleeves on the end I wouldn't bother.

Originally Posted by dave cos4x4
i was thinking that too.

i'm out of shape a bit, been working away and just getting back into it and tbh i'm struggling lifting 120kg x 8-10 reps. i'm 85 kg in weight and reading the replies on here , you lads are doing really well, are most of you on steds or something as thats a lot of weight to bench a good few times.

there are a few lads that lift a good bit of weight in our gym but they are BIG lads, a lot more body weight than me lol.

well done if its just down to pure strength.
Mine is natural, have been for 2 and a half years odd now. Although my weight fluctuates between 235 + 245lbs depending on training and how much protein I take so I am relatively heavy. I think my body is naturally at its limited and I grow when feeding it but it all drops straight back off when I don't so for me to get bigger means living the full on bodybuilders lifestyle. Something I dont have the time, money or willpower to do.