View Single Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 AM
jamiepeers
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default puma/fiesta/ka rear shock fitting issues

Hi chaps.

I originallyposted in the tech section but i'm not sure if thats right as everyone else seems to be posting in their relevant car section so here goes

I have a late 1999 puma 1.7, and have just changed the rear shocks for new ford items. They are the "eye" type not the "fork" type, although i don't think that makes a difference to what the problem is as they were changed like for like.

When i slid on the new top mounts, fed the shock into the rear of the car, then bolted the top "cup" on, after letting the weight back on the car, there is a small gap between the cup and the body of around 8mm.

However, when i take the shock off the car and bolt it up complete, the gap is still apparent and couldn't possibly be taken up as the thickness of the bodywork is around 1-2mm.

The top mount is tight to the bodywork and the locating lug is in the cutout in the shock tower on the body of the car. I can't see how the top "cup" bolts on any tighter to take up the gap

Has anyone had this before, is it normal? And if not can anyone help.

Everythings tight, and it doesn't rattle over bumps but i've a feeling somethings not quite right

Cheers