View Single Post
Old 26-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Hillhill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fiesta Heater Circuit Component

Hi
I'm new here and have searched here and everywhere as deep as I could to find an answer, but to no avail so I'm gonna start a new thread.
I own a lovely 99 Fiesta Zetec and know that they suffer from a recurrent heater problem.
The first time it failed the heater wouldn't warm and I froze in winter up so I changed the control solenoid valves (lots of posts on that) and that cured it fine.
The second time the heater wouldn't turn off and I was roasted continuously - traced it to the heater control printed circuit board (having smelt burning electronic component smell), got a secondhand one, swapped it in and that cured it.
The old board definitely had a burnt component on it. Some kind of surface mount transistor/thyristor (controls the valve using pulse width modulation I believe).
Now again I am being roasted so as I have a spare board and I want to replace the burnt-out component first but I cannot find a replacement or even any spec on the part - I suspect the number on it is a Ford part number.
It says PH89 52-10A and it probably costs less than a pound compared to the £40 quoted for a whole spare panel (they won't separate the board from the whole unit for me!).
Can anyone suggest a replacement component I could use here? It doesn't have to be a surface mount - I could wire in anything provided I know what the pinout is of the old one and the replacement.
Sorry to post such a long first post and that it's a bit electronical (I'm an electronic engineer by trade), but if we could get a fix for this I'd happily share what it is in more layman's terms and I know from my searches that it would save a lot of people a lot of money if they can wield a soldering iron!
Thank you!

Last edited by Hillhill; 26-07-2009 at 07:04 PM.