View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Robbietutt
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiesta broken seat lifter - FIXED

Hi - Just wanted to post a reply to this thread as it helped me.

I have the same problem with the broken seat lifter handle. And Ronine's about right - it took about 30 mins to fix. Wanted to post how i fixed it as I couldn't find anywhere on the net that did.

I have a 2005 Fiesta and I think the broken handle is pretty common.

I picked up a replacement part online for about £25 with VAT and delivery

To remove old one:

There's two clips that need to be squeezed in to take out the old one. A spare pair of hands will help for this too but I did manage it on my own.
  1. Get a pair of pliers and pull the cable out a bit via the nipple at the top
  2. Tie a piece of sting round the nipple - you should be able to pull this so you can lift the seat. (it's handy while waiting for the part to arrive!)
  3. The seat needs to be in a forward position so the cable is a bit loose.
  4. TAKE OFF THE HEAD REST! - took me ages to work out that was the angle I needed for the step 6!
  5. Get your fingers underneath the edge and apply some pressure as if you're trying to pull it out
  6. With a flat head screw driver or similar gently (don't rip the cloth) push the screw driver between the cloth and the plastic - first from the top (where the headrest used to be) - with a bit of fiddling you should feel the first half pop out a little.
  7. The clip on the bottom is reached from directly above (where the handle used to be) - Pop the screw driver in and twist it to remove the clip.
  8. If you have a look at the new part you should see the clips and be able to work it out.
  9. With a little fiddling - it should pop out!
Putting in the new one.

It's a bit of a funny set up - i expected it to be like a brake cable on a bike but the nipple of the cable doesn't have a specific clip to go in - it just sits in a kinda cup!
The below may not be the perfect way - but it worked for me...
  1. Carefully remove the new handle from the surround it sits in - i fitted the surround first then the actual handle. Watch out for the spring - you're going to need that!
  2. Slot the surround in to place making sure you can still see the nipple on the cable and that the string you tied to it in the first bit is not caught.
  3. Pull the string that is tied to the cable toward the back of the seat so it get's the nipple clear of the bottom and puts it in the right place to be picked up by the cup.
  4. Now clip the handle back in making sure the spring is 'sprung' - this bit was a bit fiddly but I got there in the end.
Once it's all clipped in - you should be there!!

Hope this helps someone! Like i said the forums really helped me actuall think i could fix it but there was no difinitive answer on how to fix it.

Good luck!