Thread: Engine rebuild
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:02 PM
fish99
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to Tim at SCS today (cheers Beanhead) and he has said a ball park figure of about 3-3.5k depending on whether my Turbo needs sorting etc.The compression will be lowered etc (cant remember the reason for that) and the car to be run on light blues, and every nut and bolt replaced with the cam cover / block repainted.. all in all i thought that was a good price.

Basically I havent had any problems with the block side of the engine but I had the cam belt slip on me about 5 years ago which bent all 16 valves and left valve score marks in 2 pistons. I had the head rebuilt by some mechanic chap my bro knows who replaced the valves with all new ford valves, lifters and alledgedly guides. Me and my brother put the car back together in order for me to drive it to the bodyshop where I have had a full repaint minus engine bay. The thing is I now have the bug again for the car and I want to restore the car underneath and I thought the last thing I want to do is do all that and for some reason it goes bang. I just feel if I get it fully rebuilt (why the missus is giving me the go ahead) then I should have some time happy motoring...and that way I can get engine bay repainted

The thing is there has always been something wrong with the car ie knocking or vibrating so I thought right lets getting it running and built right once and for all

Ill even have to check the transmission parts as when I got it recovered when it broke down the numpty recovery bloke recovered it as a front lift strapping the front wheels up. He then proceeded to drive at 30mph for about 300yards down the hard should before I could stop him...I dont know if that will damage diffs or gearbox etc.

Cheers for the input everyone, it really is appreciated. I will have loads more questions for you all soon and hope to put it up in a resto thread.

Neil