View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys

And Gareth - you seem to be pretty useful in this subject to me .

Right - lets move on.

I want to very briefly revisit the so called 'myth' on modern ECUs and their ability to overcome the above.

As I understand it, the argument is as follows - the more modern ECUs have more memory, and are faster. This in simple terms means that the car can store more points in a map. Effectively this leads to more accurate mapping, as there are less 'grey' areas between points.

the theory goes that the above goes that because of the above, you can more accurately plot the advance, and thereby avoid the detonation.

Having reviewed the posts on the previous pages, as well as discussing the subject a little further, it would seem to me that the problem is that the improved mapping does not allow the engine to break the rules of physics.

Effectively, whilst the modern maps may allow you to tune closer to the point of det (but not at the point of det), you will still inevitably reach a point when you can no longer advance the engine enough to compensate. At this point, it wont matter how good the ECU is.

Does this sound correct? If so, this will lead me to the next point - fuelling.

JJ