View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 05:25 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bosch Dealer
...you want a high lift cam in....and a std (secret ) cam out ..then timed to perfection....also you want bigger inlet ports than exhaust ports
Hi Phil - Yes I had heard that this was the correct combination of cams, and clearly the std setup of inlet being bigger than exh is as you suggest, so one would assume that you would increase this kinda proportionally, if at all.

there is a fine balance between valve duration, go too much and you'll be pumping nice air straight into the exhaust because your valve overlap has increased! (both valves open at the same time) of cause you can increase cam seperation angle, but this also has downfalls, (moving peak power up higher)

cams are a twat in a 4 stroke engine
Hi Gareth

So if the cam separation angle is increased, this leads to the peak power moving higher up the rev range. I guess this is why people then need to prep the engines to be able to rev higher to allow a more useable power band. So what sets the width of the power band out of curiosity?

I guess that the reason the inlet has to be bigger is that it does not benefit from the combustion to assist with the movement of the air and fuel into the cylinder? Would this be accurate?

JJ