View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Avinitlarge
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neilm
Originally Posted by Avinitlarge
You dont need to pay someone to do it, You need time, patience and huge balls, I did mine all one my own upto 18psi in 2 weeks, Not setup 100% but it runs and drives nearly spot on but the mapping is that out on the top end its very retarded and rich, Its the fine tuning that takes the time, Some sort of knock sensing equipment is needed along with a wideband lambda

A chap who uses this forum and mine has tried this approach on his Anglia Van, but a recent visit to the rolling road told him a different story.

If you have an 1800 Zetec on Throttle Bodies and you get an OMEX / Emerald / Weber Alpha out the box with a base map it will normally see up around 150bhp

This van on self tuned Megasquirt was 106bhp.

Somethings are best left to professionals as not everyone is a 'Gangsta Mappa'
I know, I spoke to him, He was only using a narrowband lambda which makes tuning very tricky, Since well lane he has or is buying a wideband.

I only got 230bhp @ 18psi, I know the tuning was out but I also think other things were amiss too. There is a lad who comes on here ever blue moon who has a zetec with TB's and he set his up on his own quite easily.

Once you get the hang of it, its not that hard