Thread: GTR32 rebuild
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 09:56 AM
TFS
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you drop the engine down onto the subframe you can get those bolts with a normal 14mm spanner from the bonnet side

the driveshafts are held in by circlips and in theory they just need a jolt and they will come free if you have removed the hub to allow movement, i couldnt do this on the driver side though even after about an hour of abuse, tried to release it from inside the diff housing to no avail so i split the shaft fromm the engine side joint, it didnt make engine removal any harder with it still attached

the passenger side has a very long driveshaft and it also needs to be unbolted from the engine before removal, the driveshaft castlenuts are a 36mm BTW

i left it to almost last to remove the power steering hoses..

the engine should come free as soon as you try to "wiggle" it off the input shaft, i didnt put a jack under the gearbox as it seemed very secuore by itself

once thats all done just lift the engine as much as you can whilst keeping an eye on any wires still attached, the higher the engine is at this point the easier it is to remove the knock sensors etc

sounds straightforward but that took me the best part of 20 hours in a typical english febuary 5 degree wether

hopefully i can have this stripped and rebuilt within a month!?