View Single Post
Old 23-04-2006, 07:55 PM
KillBill
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sexr3i
problem is, you never know how the previous owner treated it. I made sure that i had a full/decent service record and tons of receipts with my donor car, even tho it was just 300 quid cos the body was shot. drove it home 40 miles to make sure it was sweet.

my neighbour has a mondeo that i service for him, 170k miles and no signs of burning oil, he treats it well. we change the oil regularly, and he always lets it tickover for a minute before he drives off. Things I always do is get in the car, start the engine and then put seatbelt on and radion n that so the ol gets a few seconds to get up the head.
I do the same, in fact I try and never rev it above 2kish until it's warmed up too. In the mornings I normally start the car, then take off the anti theft device, throw my coat in the back, connect my MP3 player, etc. I never just drive off.
I'm well used to waiting a minute anyway, as I normally drive old Citroens, and give the suspension a good while to rise before moving.

Pity it seems too late for this car .
I've been looking into the possibility of a second hand engine today, but I really don't know where to get one thats not trashed. Was talking to the local scrapper, and he said £150 for one, but thats with totally unknown history and no guarentee whatsoever.... I found about 15 Mondeos in the yard, mostly diesel, but a few 1.8 and 2.0 petrols... most had mileage similar to, or higher than mine. I found one in an estate that had only done 80k, but someone had removed the leads and plugs, and left the bonnet lying open

I did find a nice 2.5 Duratec V6 too, but it was in a Mk2 that someone had removed the bonnet of, so it was lying there exposed...

Mind you, an engine would be much easier to rebuild if it wasn't in the car....