View Single Post
Old 22-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Moondust_crust
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sexr3i
out of interest why are you re-building it if it's only done 60k? I've seen zetecs hammered every day and are still going strong at over 100k. Things to look out for may be different depending on the circumstances before the rebuild. I'd just whip the sump off, check the bearings and replace if necessary, rocker cover off and check cams and tappets and note the condition of the oil. Should all give you a good clue to the health of the lump. But like I say, if the engine has had problems, then I wouldn't bother rebuilding it as a 1.8 from an xr3i or Si etc is cheaper to buy than all the rebuild parts and will drop straight in with an ecu swap.

the big hole on the block is an oil breather, the pulleys, 1 is a waterpump (you need that), one is a tensioner (you need that), one is PAS pump, you could do without that but it'll be harder to turn the wheel, or if you're putting the lump in a non PAS car then get rid of the pump and you need a shorter belt. you've got the alternator yeah, and the other is an idle pulley to get the belt going where it needs to go whilst getting plenty of surface area on the other pulleys.
to be honest im not wanting to do a complete rebuild i juat want to make sure its all ok before i slot it in place, its had no problems in the past its a good runner, when i drained the oil it came out clean to looks like its been looked after (or just had a change) can i block the hole is the block off and just use the breather off the rocker cover?

so basically with the pulleys i can just junk the pas pump at the top and run the bottom the way they are (with a shorter belt), is it true the belt can catch on the inside wing?

engine mounts im ok with and inlet side of things cus im using the inlet off a xr3i cvh with one of jano's plates, exhaust im a bit worried about, someone said a st170 one will fit but im not sure about that,

and what about clutch and flywheel, i take it i need a mk4 clutch, but can use the zetec flywheel as it has the cutouts for the sensor?

cheers in advance your a star!