Thread: body mass index
View Single Post
Old 13-01-2006, 06:13 PM
bigwelshlad
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body mass index

just how representative is BMI of a person who is into lifting/gaining/bodybuilding? i am always being told to cutback but i think those people who tell me this need to understand a few things.

at 21stone and 5ft5 myself, and a bmi of 50+, i am told by my GP that i am super obese according to the charts!! (have to say i was very chuffed at being told this !!!!) also my family are unhappy about my weight, and are always saying I need to lose weight, cut down etc . i am bulky, and into lifting and bodybuilding and dont wanna reduce my size.

ok, could do with losing a stone or three, reducing my beer intake etc but i think that people do hold and present their weight in various different ways. for example, i am very muscular in my lower body, quite muscular in the upper body but admit to having a thickish layer of fat on my upper body.

however in terms of fitness, even at my weight, i feel i am just as healthy as i'd be if i was 14stone. i cycle 40-60 miles a week, walk up to 5 miles a week, get into the gym to lift when I can (OK, only small stuff at the mo) and my job means i dont even sit down for 40 hours per week.

I am trying to convince all the people who are having a go at me cause of my weight that all these scales, measurements, normals do not always apply, and surely only apply to mr average. Even tho i am am probably 10stone heavier some of my mates, i am just as fit as them.

How do I convince people that as I am bigger than mr average due to my interest in lifting/gaining/bodybuilding that the "rules/norms" should not apply ?!