View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 09:25 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amal Valve Operation and Adjustment

ok lets see if we can get some info on this for the techie room or Q&A Room or essay room etc

the only post i could find on the BB about drilling out restrictors etc was this one

http://passionford.webheberg.com/for...ic.php?t=19287

and i thought that mark was slightly wrong on what he was saying (ie run the car with no actuator pipe connected) seemed a little weird to me...

ok so on an amal valve you have 3 pipes right...

C which is your input
W which is your output
R which is your bleed

the way i understand it when the valve is in position 0 then C goes straight to W therefore it works as if there is no amal there and bleeds nothing so you will hit the boost that your actuator is set to

when the valve is in position 1 it will open the valve so that some of the air is bled via port R so as an example half of the air might be released via port R and so only half will leave by port W so your actuator will only see half the boost (in this example i'm assuming you have the restrictor on port R drilled out to bleed half the boost)

am i right sofar?

ok so then you need to go fiddling with your restrictors as you want to bleed more/less air out of the amal valve and also affect the way the boost comes in...

as i understand it if you increase the hole in port R you get more boost (in high mode) if you decrease the hole you get less boost

ok, so what about restrictions elsewhere. the valve i have has no restriction in port W but has a restrictor with a TINY hole in port C

from what i rememebr on threads from ages ago (ie not much!) this restrictor affects the reaction time. therefore a smaller restriction will mean the wastegate stays stuf for longer which will make the boost come in with more of a bang. it would also make the boost peak to a high figure and then drop right down to your decent held figure... right? (hence the peak n held boost a lot of people refer to)

so if you were to remove this restrictor completely it would make little or no difference to your overall held boost reading, but it would mean that you do not peak n then drop back... right?

so this is what you would want to do on a car that you intend to run boost very close to the Chip's Overboost function (ie if the overboost kicks in at 10psi you want it to peak 9 and hold 9 rather than peak 12 and hold 9 or peak 9 and hold 6)

are you following me sofar?

the amal valve i have here at the moment has NO restrictor in port W, a restrictor with a TINY hole in port C and a restrictor with a medium sized hole in port R.

since my car is one of those mentioned above with the overboost functionality, that would mean i want to remove the restrictor in port C does it not? and then adjust the size of port R untill i hit my desired boost setting... right?

ok, if i'm right (unlikely) this would be a good essay, but just needs all the questions removed from it so it looks like i know what i'm talking about... lol