View Single Post
Old 13-07-2004, 10:49 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default cossie hydraulic tappets

whilst rebuilding my head, the box that i'd neatly arranged my tappets into was knocked over so i lost the order of where they should go. i also forgot to fill them with oil as they had sat out of the engine for 3 or 4 weeks and the oil had drained.

anyway, i've rebuilt the engine, putting the tappets just back in any order and they are now noisy as hell. before the rebuild, they were quiet as you like. the engine has now ran for over an hour at various speeds and they're still noisy. i can't see how putting them back in a different place should make a big difference

surely they should have filled with oil by now again? i don't understand why they should be noisy. could they have air trapped in them or something?

should i take them all out again and fill them with oil?

do i have to buy a new set now? if so, i have read various different stories regarding the vw ones. are they the same, cos if so i'm sure that they are cheaper than cossie ones.

how about the ones that you see regularly on ebay? has anyone bought a set and checked if they're any good.

please help, this is really getting me down after i had just wanted a simple repair to a broken head gasket.

i've got stg 3 bits waiting to go on, but won't do that until the tappets are sorted.