Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Will someone listen to my turbo, please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 02:20 PM
oto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will someone listen to my turbo, please?

Hi all,

As far as I can remember, after converting my Sapphire to 350hp spec back in 1997 @ 42k miles, the turbo when under load has always whistled then howled (although 'howl' maybe a bit strong). The turbo is a Turbo Technics stage 1 hybrid that's been on it from new (TT 285hp conversion) and it'll still happily peak at about 22psi falling back to 20psi. But the memory plays tricks and whilst prepping the car after a period of 5 years in storage I began to wonder if the whistles and howls had actually got louder over the years since the conversion and I'd not noticed until now and it was time to fit a rebuilt turbo (or a more appropriate turbo) ....... or not.

I've only had one Cosworth and I've little practical experience of performance turbos and how they sound in various conditions through their lives. I've also only trusted one company to be fair to me and give me a truthful opinion without 'personal' interest but they're long gone now and I've not built up a relationship with any other due to the car being in storage for so long. Very recently I did talk to one company but they were more interested in who would get the work should it need it. Suffice to say, I didn't take it to them.

So, I'm after a fellow gearhead who has turbo experience who could sit in the passenger seat, have a listen and give me his/her opinion. I live in Stone, Staffordshire. Can anyone local help me? Failing that, can anyone recommend where to take it for an honest, unbiased opinion?

Cheers
Old 04-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Take your intake hose off the front of the turbo and see if the turbine shaft has much in and out movement, that's is a tell tale sign of a turbo needing rebuilt.

Mines is a noisy turbo I.e you hear it spool up but it's in perfect condition, all other turbo cars I've been in are quiet but cossies like to shout.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:52 PM
oto

Hi Adam,

'Cossies like to shout'! I like that description.

With the turbo completely cold (it's been parked up for a few weeks) there's a little axial movement but not much. I had to use pliers on the compressor nut to determine that. When just using my fingers to try to pull it in and out I couldn't detect anything. There is lateral movement which posts and videos on the web suggest is normal. It certainly is less than one video I saw of a new turbo. I can move it laterally using finger pressure. I cannot detect any blades touching the housings either.

All opinions welcome.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:53 PM
oto

Posted twice somehow!

Last edited by oto; 05-10-2016 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Posted twice!