Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

abs sensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:02 PM
lleewar
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs sensors

Hi My '95 scorpio has abs sensors but trying to remove them is nye on impossible . Can someone out there give me a hint on how to move them. I assume that they are just pushed in but I do not want to damage them getting them out. Also, does anyone know where I can get a cheaper than Ford(86.00) speed sensor. My speedo is playing up(staying at around 30 while doing 70) as the gearbox is having difficulties in changing gear. Many thanks in advance
Old 05-07-2009, 08:21 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The abs sensors are indeedy a pain in the rear, but just patience I'm afraid, and a good soaking in diesel fuel will help.
I assume your car is auto, the box uses more than just the speed reading, you may have a prob with the speedo itself as if it is registering speed can't see how it can be faulty at some speeds due to the way it works, a faulty turbine speed reading will also cause bad shifts, scorpios were horrendous for wiring probs related to boxes as well.
tabetha
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

During a recent conversion I had problems getting an sensor our .. I had to inflict alot of pain on the hub to remove it.

In the end I made a puller and pushed it out.

Like said tabetha ... Plenty of lube ... Soak it in Vinigar .. Try everything to remove intact.

Once out check resistance with a Mulit-Meter .. Bound to find resistance Values on the internet.

Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 AM
lleewar
Virgin

Hi Tabetha, speedo works OK on local runs/short journeys but stick it on a motorway and the speedo starts to play up. ie satnav says 70 and speedo says 40. Could oil and filter change(slightly brown,bought it like it) help the situation as well as cleaning the vss? Thanks Lee
Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would change it anyway as it is old fluid, but more likely to be electrical prob with speed issue.
tabetha
Old 25-07-2009, 01:45 PM
lleewar
Virgin

Default vss

Have replaced the vss with a secondhand one. Now the cruise control seems to work but the speedo has gone the other way in so much that it now reads about 10 miles over actual speed. Checked with ford dealership and he confirmed the vss is one for my car and other vehicles like sierra, transit etc. The vss is different in body style, would this make a difference to its performance????