Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

CVH wide cam belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
javierant3
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVH wide cam belt

Hello and good night. I have to change my cam timing belt, and I have seen that in CVH engines from 1992 the belt is 21.6mm wide.
My car is 1988 and I have de 19.8 mm wide belt, can I use the more modern belt that is 21.6mm or I have to change some other bits, like crankshaft pinion?

I suppose the wider belt is better, because probably it is more resistant. Also what manufacturer do you recomend for the belt. I have seen Dayco and Gates belts.

Thanks for the attention.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gates would be my first choice, I would use the correct belt, it is more than strong enough to do it's job, there will be guides to keep belt in alignment that are set to this width of belt, most likley on crank pulley with dished washer and somewhere else.
It really isn't an issue with strength of the belt so will be fine.
Just in case you are wondering DAYCO, are made by gates!!
tabetha
Old 10-01-2009, 08:28 PM
javierant3
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been investigating , and found that the wider timing belt is mounted in the cvh engines to 04/1992 on.
Found that the tensioner pulley and the other bits are the same, being the change only the crankshaft pinion.

Also the wider belt is mounted with a bit more tension, maybe to elliminate some vibrations that appeared in the older engines at idle.