General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Logbook dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 24-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Orion_Gav
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Logbook dilemma

Looking for a bit of advice here,long story short I'm buying a car for me brother which is a bit of a secret at the mo and will be for a few months.

He doesn't live with me so what can I do as the car is a one owner from new so rather than put my name on the book would I be able to put his name on it but under my address so nothing gets sent to him until he has the car?
Cheers
Old 24-01-2017, 10:42 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

My mate
Bought an old fiesta for his mother in laws xmas present xmas just gone. He bought it and sent the log book off in his mother in laws name but to his address. Once she had it he sent it off and changed address. Obviously it's illegal to send documents off in someone else's name and to sign it but I doubt anyone would know
Old 25-01-2017, 03:44 PM
nick46
VR46 The G.O.A.T

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Do it all online and you don't even have to sign or send any documents off. Just bought a car for the mrs and she wasn't present when I got it, but the seller and I sorted it all online with my Mrs being the registered keeper. Did it there and then, only took a few minutes.
Old 25-01-2017, 03:48 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

I didn't know you could change keepers online. Yes just fill it in in his name and your address, then just change the address when he comes to have it.
Old 25-01-2017, 04:15 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieST
I didn't know you could change keepers online. Yes just fill it in in his name and your address, then just change the address when he comes to have it.
Yeah I didn't realise that either, it's a new one on me!
Old 27-01-2017, 08:35 AM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Doing the change of keeper online also makes the log book come through quicker, I've had log books come through within the same week from doing it online.

recently bought a car for the misses and did the same as gfcos, it's much easier, especially for me as my hand writing is like a 5 year olds so I know someone at the other end will understand what I've written if it's done electronically