Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Powerflex Black - Upper Strut Bushings Question

Search this Thread

Old 24-03-2014, 12:38 AM
hEaT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Powerflex Black - Upper Strut Bushings Question

Hey guys,

Just replaced my Powerflex yellow bushings with their black series on my XR4Ti and ran into a small concern with the upper strut bushing.

I have a lot less thread showing through the top hat which results in an increase in ride height without increasing travel. I've got 2-3 threads in car above the nut after it's on the ground and fully tightened. I triple checked the strut and bearing are together the right way. I've always run that 2nd cone above the strut bearing. I guess I could replace with a flat washer instead between that and the nut but unsure of any other issues that would cause.

Comparison of the two:

How it looks with the yellow bushings in place:

Replaced with the black bushings: Zero change when the car is on the ground in the amount of threads showing. I've got 2-3 threads above the nut when fully tightened.

Thoughts? Should I ditch that cone above the strut bearing and run a big flat washer instead above the bearing? I've had them set up this way for years without issue.

Cheers!

- Joe
Old 24-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Personally I'd have jsut used the Ford 'Group N' bushings. I've tried fitting poly bushes to a few car's strut tops and they never seem to be 100%.
Old 25-03-2014, 11:19 PM
matthewpickup
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's quite a difference , but could it not be as simple as new to old?
I have poly bushed this part too and its the same as your yellow bush , but mines were not brand new so maybe that's why its the same ( wouldn't have thought it would clamp down that much , if it has )
Old 26-03-2014, 04:26 PM
hEaT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers, appreciate the responses.

I also reached out to the XR crowd state-side who've run these bushings. They agree with you Matthew, it's due to the new bushings not being fitted around the cone and also the higher durometer. These won't compress like the yellows or Ford OEM.

Also a note, most of the decrease in threads is due to the top half of the bushing not compressing. While that limits the threads available on the strut shaft, it doesn't increase ride height since it's on the top side of the strut tower.

Paul, what material are the Group N bushings? It's tough to gather anything state-side like that unfortunately.