Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo mk 3 Transmission noise?

Search this Thread

Old 20-12-2014, 09:39 PM
yorkie66
Mondonewbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo mk 3 Transmission noise?

Hi everyone, I have just bought a 2ltr petrol mondeo mk3 a couple of weeks ago from a dealer on a trade sale no warranty with new mot.
I Just replaced all the discs and pads especially as the front ones were very badly worn down (Advisories on mot)
Now,3 days after, i am slowing down for a roundabout and i hear a noise which i have read about on another forum described as a "Distant Helicopter" which sounds to me like BRRRRR noise if you know what i mean, it is coming from the right hand side of the passenger footwell under the floor, it happens only when you ease off the gas.
If you just touch the throttle it goes away, but leave gas off and it gets a bit louder, when not accelerating.
It also does it both in gear and out of gear.
clutch in or out and in neutral it still does it.
I held onto the drivers side driveshaft while the passenger wheel was spinning and you can feel and hear it through the drivetrain.
The front bearings are all fine and run nice and smooth.
I had it up on axle stands today and the box sounds terrible when running with no load on it, but when driving in normal conditions it is smooth and quiet and changes gear nicely.
The clutch ws replaced very recently within the last 300 miles and new gear oil by the dealer i just bought it from.
I have just bought a second hand gearbox to replace it with just in case it is knackered.
Has anyone else experienced this problem.
I don't have any cash left to throw at it as i spent all i had and px my last car a kia sportage (which i spent £700 on in a couple of months with problems it had)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
glen

Last edited by yorkie66; 20-12-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 21-12-2014, 05:42 PM
3i Jim
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts

Could it be the duel mass flywheel? They don't often go on the petrol engines but still possible. Maybe the new clutch has finished it off? Should always change the DMF when changing a clutch.
The following users liked this post:
yorkie66 (21-12-2014)
Old 21-12-2014, 06:19 PM
yorkie66
Mondonewbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks for your reply 3i Jim I am not sure if the DMF was changed or if it has had a standard clutch fitted as the dealer told me when i bought it that the clutch had just been replaced.
I shall ring him for the details of who replaced it and where so i can hopefully find out.
Regards
Glen