Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Knock heard when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2011, 04:43 PM
alanhancox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock heard when reversing

Hi,
When I select Reverse and start reversing, while in the process of going backwards there is a sound of a sharp knock. It appears to be coming from the front of the car....it seems to be clutch related as if I raise my foot off quickly... and more so when reversing up a hill this knock will happen. If I gently raise my foot off the clutch on a flat road, then nothing happens or.. once it has knocked once it won't happen again unless I drive forward and then reverse. It is intermittent as it will not always happen, never in forward gears or motion. I have been told that it could be the brake pads catching on the disks...but its difficult to say exactly where the noise is comming from Gearbox, Pads etc. but seems central most of the time. The gearbox works fine and so does everything else except for this knock.. must mention that new CV joint fitted on the passenger side recently.
Car is a Focus estate 1.6 Ti vct 55 plate.

Any Ideas....Cheers
Old 20-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

can be a lot of things box mounts pads as stated maybe the other cv? try with someone outside the car .
Old 20-02-2011, 08:14 PM
alanhancox

Cheers for that, the CV was changed because the garage broke something when they changed a wheel bearing that was attached to the the CV (some sort of rod) but I know the CV's have been looked at and are fine and no sound when turning corners..will get a garage to look at the mounts, I assume they are the engine mounts (lower) as the engine feels quite sturdy in the bay with no lumpiness when accelerating. The knock sounds like a light knock but very much metal to metal....Thanks again
Old 21-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by alanhancox
Cheers for that, the CV was changed because the garage broke something when they changed a wheel bearing that was attached to the the CV (some sort of rod) but I know the CV's have been looked at and are fine and no sound when turning corners..will get a garage to look at the mounts, I assume they are the engine mounts (lower) as the engine feels quite sturdy in the bay with no lumpiness when accelerating. The knock sounds like a light knock but very much metal to metal....Thanks again
just a hint dont use that garage the bearings are in the hub the cv gos through the hub thay brake a rod? what rod ? then change the cv why?
Old 21-02-2011, 04:43 AM
carlfiesta999
BANNED
BANNED

dual mass flywheel about to go bollocks? diesel?
Old 21-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gearbox mount, they knock when they have gone, very cheap and easy fix if it is, buy the poweflex polybushes for the mount, think they are Ł27 burn the old ones out, push new ones in and you will have a lovely feel to the gear change and the bush will last the life of the car.
Old 21-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carlfiesta999
dual mass flywheel about to go bollocks? diesel?
For his wallets sake i hope not