Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus mk2 2.0 tdci poor MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:21 PM
James Brunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Focus mk2 2.0 tdci poor MPG

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2009 Focus mk2.5 2.0 tdci titanium X earlier this year with 67,000 miles on the clock. I upgraded from a 2002 mk1.5 1.8 tdci Ghia X and I am really disappointed with the MPG.

My old focus used to give me mid to high 50's mpg with my highest 62.8mpg driving through France. Even if I had a heavy right foot for the whole tank it would always give more then 45mpg. (This is all calculated mpg from litres used and distance driven)

My new focus is in my opinion really poor when it comes to mpg. If i put my foot down it will give me way less then 40mpg which is understandable as it's a bigger more powerful engine. My issue is when I drive economically it only gives me about 50mpg.

I just drove 550 miles on a tank and I averaged 49.49mpg (car read 51.4mpg). I am driving as economically as I can. This includes.

Motorway driving probably 70% of the tank with cruise control on at exactly 70mph + 50mph (M3 roadworks)
Accelerating gently and changing at approx 1600-1700 rpm
Using cruise control on most straight roads when conditions allow for it.
Trying not to use the brakes, engine braking if required.
Airconditioning off.
Driving long drives so the engine gets up to temperature

Car had a major service and mot in September.
All tyre pressures are good.
Ford eco mode gives me 5* for everything
Car has empty boot and it's usually just me driving
Car has been remapped which should give me better mpg
EGR has been blanked which should give me better mpg
Car never came with DPF so should give me better mpg

I don't know what is causing the such poor mpg. I thought I would be getting a lot closer to 60mpg. My friend has a Mondeo which is the same age as my Focus with the same 2 litre diesel engine and he gets close to 60mpg.

The only thing that is wrong with my car is the clutch is slipping when i boot it in higher gears. This doesn't effect low rev driving hence eco driving until I get the time to change the clutch and dmf.

Anyone got any ideas. I have no fault codes or any other known issues apart from the clutch.

Thanks,

James

Last edited by James Brunt; 11-11-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I can get way better mpg than the cruise on every car I've ever had, also the slipping clutch and blanked EGR suggest the car is both modded and 'well used', hardly a recipie for delivering factory MPG
Old 11-11-2016, 02:03 PM
James Brunt

I blanked the EGR and Remapped the car. The clutch started slipping a little while after the remap so I think it was on it's way out anyway. It has a full ford service history with all receipts too.

I not very good at maintaining a constant speed. I've always maintained really good MPG with cruise control on with previous cars.

Last edited by James Brunt; 11-11-2016 at 02:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:29 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Do you possibly think the remap may have something to do with the mpg you are seeing?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:31 PM
James Brunt

I remapped my old focus and it gave it much better mpg. On my current focus it's mpg has gotten better since the remap but it still isn't brilliant. The increased torque should allow me to shift up earlier and improve the mpg.