Old 20-01-2014, 09:03 PM
BigPeBe
PassionFord Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally have been active with the engine build.
The specs are now actually considerably bigger than originally was planned as seen in the posts above.

-std. 205 bottom end
-ported and lowered injection head
-Piper Cams BP300 cam (292 degrees and 12.57 mm lift)
-long pad followers
-stiffer valve springs
-adjustable cam gear
-lightened flywheel
-2x 45 DCOE carbs (36 chokes) "chinese Webers" (FAJS 45 DCOE)
-75 mm intake manifold
-Martelius 4-2-1 header

We started with the bottom end. I found an std. 205 bottom end in good nick for a cheap price and even new bearings came with it.
There is barely any noticeable wear on the bores.

We checked the bearing clearances with Plastigauge and they were all good.
Name:  atmoohc2.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  111.5 KB

Assembled it back together.
Name:  atmoohc.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  96.2 KB

Next up was the head. This is a ported/skimmed head that have been lying around for few years waiting for a bottom end to go on top of.
Lapped the valves:
Name:  atmoohc5.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  80.7 KB

Next up cam in and checking the rocker geometry:
Name:  atmoohc6.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  108.2 KB

Near percect geometry:
Name:  atmoohc14.jpg
Size:  93.6 KB

New valve stem seals in:
Name:  atmoohc15.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  109.2 KB

Bolting stuff together:
Name:  atmoohc17.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  106.2 KB

Next up was removing the old Emax 1.6 engine. I originally planned to put the whole engine together and then just do the swap at one go, but decided to do this after all. Easier to swap all the necessary parts from the old engine to the new when they both are out.

Emax:
Name:  atmoohc19.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  109.0 KB

Away it goes:
Name:  atmoohc20.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  113.6 KB

Installed an electric fan:
Name:  atmoohc23.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  81.8 KB

Then back on working with the "new" engine. Checking the correct TDC point:
Name:  atmoohc27.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  95.3 KB

Fitted the head next, with Felpro gasket. The head is lowered 1mm, so I wanted to use Felpro, because it's ~0.5mm lower than std gasket, so it gives me a total of 1.5mm lower head without a visit to a machine shop.
Name:  atmoohc30.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  95.8 KB

Cam timing. Made few different timing marks, so it's easy to adjust the timing afterwards if necessary.
Name:  atmoohc32.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  102.4 KB

Bolting some random stuff on:
Name:  atmoohc41.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  108.2 KB

Lovely looking carbs:
Name:  atmoohc42.jpg
Views: 1026
Size:  116.9 KB

Header making a visit too:
Name:  atmoohc45.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  86.1 KB

Intake manifold and double carbs on:
Name:  atmoohc54.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  108.5 KB

At this point I checked the carb balance somewhat together from the progression holes.
Lovely looking engine in my eyes, so next up few atmospheric pictures:
Name:  atmoohc55.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  atmoohc56.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  atmoohc59.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  119.2 KB

At this point we poured oil in to the engine and runned the oil pump with drilling machine to see that each cam gets it's oil squirt.

Next we installed the lightened flywheel (with ARPs) and clutch package to the back end of the engine. A bit of a nasty surprise was that one of the bolt holes in the flywheel for the clutch assembly had a worn out thread. After some thinking we thought about replacing all of the clutch assembly bolts with longer ones and using nuts on the other side. Couldn't find any reason against so bolted it on with them + Loctite.

Engine ready for lifting:
Name:  atmoohc64.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  119.1 KB

Sinked in:
Name:  atmoohc66.jpg
Size:  108.1 KB

Rest of stuff back together and coolant in too:
Name:  atmoohc67.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  103.9 KB

Finally we were at the point where first start and cam brake-in procedure were next on to-do list.

Since then few little problems. First we flooded the carbs with too much fuel pressure and after figuring that out we still couldn't get it idle properly. Noticed that the other carb is constantly leaking fluid from the accelerator pump circuit.

Well no other choice than to remove the leaking carb and start figuring out the problem. As it turns out I got myself a bad chinese product (). The little "bearing" ball on the accelerator circuit should seal up to the cone shape on the bottom, but the machining was poor so it leaks out fuel constantly. Not the best picture but the markings on the seal surface are visible:
Name:  kartio2.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  603.3 KB

Good thing is that even if I opted for a chinese product, I bought them from a Finnish firm, so there should be not too much hassle getting a replacement against warranty. I'm going the make a call tomorrow and hopefully get a new carb this week so we can start with getting this running properly!

Last edited by BigPeBe; 20-01-2014 at 09:04 PM.