Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Supercharging sierra 2.9 v6 12v

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2005, 12:26 PM
kalvin_uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging sierra 2.9 v6 12v

Saw Rob's XR yesterday and interested in possibly doing something similar myself
What would be a rough DIY build cost ?
What power gains can be achieved ?
Anyother useful info / opinions ?

Tar,
Kalv
Old 26-08-2005, 11:56 AM
sparkplug

Default Re: Supercharging sierra 2.9 v6 12v

Originally Posted by kalvin_uk
Saw Rob's XR yesterday and interested in possibly doing something similar myself

Tar,
Kalv
You will need:

Ebay special supercharger from a jag for £200 - £750
Extra injectors and seperate controller box like the turboed 2.9 cars have
Solid brackets to mount the supercharger
Pulley £200 - £300
Pipework £100 - £200

After that you might want to look at intercooler and even more pipes, different breathing system and then a after market ECU to control it. Power wise its very hard to say and its torque you want from such an engine and you will gets lots of that and at a very low RPM. Mine for example produces 300lb/ft of torque at 1800RPM (Standard 2.9 gives 172 max torque) then rises to 350lb/ft of torque at 3000RPM. Fitting a supercharger can cost a bit but the car is so smooth and will pull very hard at very low RPM in high gears so its great when driving down motorways etc.

Dave
Old 28-08-2005, 07:34 PM
tonyturbo
Advanced PassionFord User

my mates supercharged 4i

Old 29-08-2005, 08:20 AM
kalvin_uk

Originally Posted by sparkplug
Originally Posted by kalvin_uk

Tar,
Kalv
You will need:

Ebay special supercharger from a jag for £200 - £750
Extra injectors and seperate controller box like the turboed 2.9 cars have
Solid brackets to mount the supercharger
Pulley £200 - £300
Pipework £100 - £200

After that you might want to look at intercooler and even more pipes, different breathing system and then a after market ECU to control it. Power wise its very hard to say and its torque you want from such an engine and you will gets lots of that and at a very low RPM. Mine for example produces 300lb/ft of torque at 1800RPM (Standard 2.9 gives 172 max torque) then rises to 350lb/ft of torque at 3000RPM. Fitting a supercharger can cost a bit but the car is so smooth and will pull very hard at very low RPM in high gears so its great when driving down motorways etc.

Dave
Cheers Dave,
I just loved that sound..
can it be done on a budget though ? not that I'm tight or anything but I currently already have all the bits to turbo mine but think I might be left wanting more power after it all.
Is the after market ECU essential or can it be run just with standard management in the early stages ?
Old 01-09-2005, 05:51 PM
sparkplug

Cheers Dave,
I just loved that sound..
can it be done on a budget though ? not that I'm tight or anything but I currently already have all the bits to turbo mine but think I might be left wanting more power after it all.
Is the after market ECU essential or can it be run just with standard management in the early stages ?
I do not think a supercharger will give more power then a twin turbo system, it does however give instant power at any rpm. As for as ECU you will have more power so you will need some way of adding more fuel. You would only want to add more fuel when you come on boost so you need a way to monitor the boost level and add a defined amount of fuel dependant on boost and rpm. You could use a MF2 controller, with you existing ford ECU, to drive extra injectors mounted in the throttle bodies which only get activated on boost. You would have to do something simular if you turboed your car aswell as you would need extra fuel otherwise you would get det.

A full after market ECU system like Omex or MDE will give you toys like full throttle gear change, traction control, sequentual injection and water injection control aswell as moany more features.

tonyturbo I've seen that car a many shows and its a vey nice rotrex install.

Dave
Old 06-01-2012, 08:12 PM
V8monster
Grease Monkey

i have a 2.8 capri running just a dgas carb as i hate the ugly k-jet system, has anyone ever seen a 2.8 blown with a carb? i guess wouldnt be any more than 200bhp without a big 4-barrel carb or efi, but i think could be a nice simple poky set-up can anyone think of a suitable blower to mount a carb and give the right sort of boost?
Old 22-05-2013, 06:26 PM
ginger1979
Virgin

How much was the ecu where did it come from?
Old 21-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Marc Bourton

Originally Posted by tonyturbo
my mates supercharged 4i

Can't see the images mate
Old 21-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Marc Bourton

Originally Posted by sparkplug
I do not think a supercharger will give more power then a twin turbo system, it does however give instant power at any rpm. As for as ECU you will have more power so you will need some way of adding more fuel. You would only want to add more fuel when you come on boost so you need a way to monitor the boost level and add a defined amount of fuel dependant on boost and rpm. You could use a MF2 controller, with you existing ford ECU, to drive extra injectors mounted in the throttle bodies which only get activated on boost. You would have to do something simular if you turboed your car aswell as you would need extra fuel otherwise you would get det.

A full after market ECU system like Omex or MDE will give you toys like full throttle gear change, traction control, sequentual injection and water injection control aswell as moany more features.

tonyturbo I've seen that car a many shows and its a vey nice rotrex install.

Dave
Would just fitting big injector sort the need for more fuel? where can I get a MF2 controller?
Old 21-09-2013, 01:42 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Bigger injectors will just flood the engine when idling and cruising off boost.
And maybe even on low boost.
It does nothing with the ignition moment which should be retarded when on boost.

Get a decent after-market ecu.
Old 18-11-2015, 09:59 PM
dms04
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

hi!!
I know, is an old topic, but the question remains..

i'me going to eaton supercharger in my cologne, is a 2.8 EFI 12v, the late version.

Its running LGP and the ecu is fully adjustable, i can set up the turbo set up and it will suply more fuel on high range. and the question is:

Is it dangerous to do that or possible?