Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mk6 zetec-s power steering whine and groan.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:13 PM
thebigbowler
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk6 zetec-s power steering whine and groan.

Evening.

I have a 2008 fiesta zetec s 1.6 petrol. A pal of mine who owns and runs a very good garage changed my cambelt and water pump and showed me the high pressure line for the power steering was weeping. At this point there had been no noise coming from the steering. He replaced the offending line (which costs an arm and a leg from ford!) Replaced the fluid with new correct atf fluid and made sure there were no leaks. The fluid has never dropped below the correct level, but the steering whines and groans a lot from even the slightest turn of the wheels. I removed the cap and turned the wheels several times to see if any air was trapped, which there isn't.

The noise is fairly significant inside the cabin, but you can't really hear it from outside or under the bonnet. He said the pump looked to be fairly recent, does this sound like the pump is buggered? Or could it go on like this for a long time to come?

Cheers,