Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Sierra cosworth oil pipe ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Siggi_Sierra
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra cosworth oil pipe ??

Hey guys.
Im not sure of the english name of this but im having problem with this oil pipe on the picture below, it always pops up and oil goes everywhere. No wonder its metal to metal, nothing holding it down.
So thats why i am making this thread, do you have any ideas to change this or hold this down someway?

Thanks.

Sierra cosworth oil pipe ??-gn5l4ti.jpg

Last edited by Siggi_Sierra; 12-08-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 13-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Captain Cotswold
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be wrong pal, but that looks to be your (aftermarket) crank case breather pipe.
The standard equipment has a little kidney box.....
(not sure if the kidney box has packing inside to catch oil vapour, or I have even heard it referred to as a flame retarder??)
.....with the lower port being a 22mm diameter push/interference fit into the block, down there below the inlet manifold. It could be that the metal collar on the end of the pipe you have circled is undersized (not quite 22mm) so the crankcase pressure finds it easier to just pressure the pipe out than it does to vent into your breather can. This then means it can vent oil out into the engine bay. I'd check that none of these pipes are clogged, check that your catch can isn't clogged up, and then if you find nothing untoward, see about replacing that pipe with one with a 22mm push fit collar on the end, or if you have a friendly engineer pal, get them to knock you up a wafer thin shim to put over your existing pipe so that it makes a tighter fit into your block. What sort of boost are you running just out of interest?
J
Old 13-08-2014, 08:45 AM
tony66
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default breather

as above the breather pipe has to locate in the block properly-you should also make sure the breather/breather catch can itself is clear and big enough for the job,ie well vented no restrictions-dunno if its just the pics yours looks small