Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

2000 Mk1 Focus 1.6 - no cooling fans or aircon

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:34 PM
RedReddington
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Mk1 Focus 1.6 - no cooling fans or aircon

Hi guys,

I used to be registered here years ago when I had a few Mondeos but I can't remember the fecking username now

Anyway, I was hoping someone could please help with an issue with the father in laws 2000 Focus 1.6 petrol.

He bought it a week ago, and since, I haven't heard the cooling fans run once. The other night I done an oil and coolant change on it, and in he course of refilling the system, ran the engine at fast idle for maybe 15-20 minutes, the thermostat opens and the rad gets hot as you'd expect, but the fans never came on. The temperature gauge works and rises from cold then stays slap bang in the middle in the Normal range, never going to the red and there are no signs of overheating, but I just couldn't get the fans to start. I thought maybe the cooling system was just so efficient that it wasn't getting hot enough to kick them in, so I left it.

The next day I realised that the aircon should cause the fans to kick in irrespective of temperature, but even with the AC on, no fans. The blower works fine all 4 positions with no issues and thankfully the resistor pack is fine with a freely rotating motor and no water ingress as I read in this thread.

The clutch on the aircon compressor doesn't engage, even if it was low on gas I thought it should engage for a second or so then stop, it does nothing.

I've checked all the fuses and relays in the engine bay fusebox for cooling fans and aircon and they're all intact.

The diagnostic menu on the speedo reports no codes stored.

I also notice the heater seems permanently directed to the windscreen no matter which position on the dial is selected, but that's maybe a problem for another thread!

Any ideas? lol

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by RedReddington; 08-06-2014 at 05:30 PM.