Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

1.6 TDCI hesitation at 1800RPM

Search this Thread

Old 13-06-2012, 02:08 PM
mr_veedubberman
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 1.6 TDCI hesitation at 1800RPM

Hi All,

I have 2 problems with my 2005 1.6 TDCI focus estate which I believe maybe linked.

First a little history on the car.

1.6 TDCI with DPF, 125K miles (forst 85K mainly motorways, 85-125K in my possession a mixture of motorways and A roads). DPF replaced at 100K and fluid topped up due to fault code of "DPF end of life reached". Recent repairs/servicing have included:

New intake manifold (120K) due to it splitting on seam, diesel injector pipes replaced at same time due to persistant diesel leak (not 100% cleared up as still get a bit on top of the block).
Cambelt done at 110K.
Oil + filter last changed at 112K (due to change this weekend)
Drivers side driveshaft changed at 118K
DPF changed at 100K Fluid topped up.
Injectors removed and carbon gunk removed from head approx 95K

Problem 1 - I am experiencing a "surging" when cruising at around 1800RPM, i.e 40mph in 4th gear. It is like the accelerator is peing pressed and released - the car feels like it surges but the speed and revs do not increase. If you accelerate normally through 1800rpm i.e. under normal driving conditions such as pulling away from standstill or if you increase the rev's from say 1500 to 2200+ you do not feel this surging/hesitation.

Problem 2 - This has happened twice to me both under similar conditions. I have been driving the car for approximatly and hour at a constant speed and a lowish RPM (5th gear, 70-75mph, approx 2200rpm (probably just under where the turbo kicks in)). I have gone to overtake something and have tried to accelerate and the car has "surged" for want of a better word, whilst trying to speed up. It feels like the turbo is kicking in and then cutting out almost like it is on boost then loosing all boost. It is like it is bunny hopping down the motorway.

I have checked all the rubber pipes (admitidly whilst the car is not running and colds) for splits as I thought initially that one of the turbo pipes may have a split in it or had come loose but can't see anything.

I never get any warning lights up when either of these issues occur - I have yet to check if i get any error codes but I assume that they are being wiped from the ecu when the engine is switched off.

Any help on these 2 issues would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
Old 13-06-2012, 02:12 PM
mr_veedubberman
Virgin

Extra bit of info relating to problem 2.

The surging/bunny hopping is constant for about 10 min every time you try and accelerate and then it goes. The only change I could see is that the engine temperature dropped very slightly from the needle being pointing at 11 oclock on the gauge to between 10 and 11 (sorry not the best description) - probably a 5 degree drop.

After 10 min it sorts itself out and doesn't do it, accelerated fine.

Hope this extra info helps one of you knowledgeable chaps/chapesses suggest a solution!!!

Ta

Tony
Old 13-06-2012, 02:30 PM
mr_veedubberman
Virgin

Oooh a bit more info that has poped into the dusty repository that is my brain!

Car is 110BHP Zetec model with Air Con. Euro??

Air filter changed at 120K, ERG valve cleaned when intake manifold was changed.

Tony
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Greg Arding
Virgin

Default Same thing! Did you ever find the solution to this

I am experiencing this exact thing dude. What was it, do you know?

Thanks
​​​​​​​
Greg