Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Sierra injector size and fitment. N/A and Cosworth...

Search this Thread

Old 31-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Brycey
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sierra injector size and fitment. N/A and Cosworth...

I have a friend with a 2.0 TwinCam Sierra and he is wondering whether Cosworth yellows will fit his head and does anyone have the cc/min of the yellows over the standard injectors?

Thanks,

Bryce.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yellow injectors are 270cc per minute.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 AM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I thought they were 310 cc/min?
Old 01-01-2010, 09:35 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Brycey
I have a friend with a 2.0 TwinCam Sierra and he is wondering whether Cosworth yellows will fit his head and does anyone have the cc/min of the yellows over the standard injectors?

Thanks,

Bryce.
If he gets them to fit (and assume they are the right impedance) then it probably won't even start. He'll just fill the bores with fuel.

As standard, 2.0 DOHC injectors are 170cc, you can upgrade to Mondeo 190cc ones using standard EFI without a lambda sensor, and can use Vauxhall 2.5 V6 injectors which are 210cc ONLY if using lambda control (or else even they will flood the engine). That is the highest you can go without remapping the ECU which would be pointless due to the lack of extra power you would get.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:44 PM
bellturbo
Virgin

Cheers for the replys guys, was me asking through Brycey as I wasnt a member.
I have found out that the standard fuel pressure regulater has a bung in it so i shall try removing this first as i do feel with a 4 branch and a few other bits its going to run seriously lean. The reason I am using a 2.0 twincam is so far its been a pretty strong engine and trust me it has had some abuse as its my 'driftcar', she just majorly lacks in power. The only reason I dont want to chuck a pinto or a zetec in it is down to funds so i am meerly trying to see what it will do with a bit of home brew tuning.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

I am not sure the injectors would work anyway as they are probably diffrent, I.E you can't use Escos BT injectors on a ST and vice versa as the ECU can't operate them.

As to your question just go down the usual N/A route so induction kit and exhaust etc unfortunatly these engines are not that easy to get power from.

Martin

Last edited by martysmartie; 02-01-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Leave the fuel pressure regulator alone unless you have a proper vacuum gauge. Even then, I wouldn't mess with it. It won't do what you want it to do.

You want more power, change the engine. If you want to smooth out the flat-spot around 3k, then increase the injector size to as I put in my previous post.

K&N panel filter is only worth fitting if you change normal ones often enough to make it cost effective. Any other reasons are a waste as they do not do anything extra in power worth having.

A cone filter is a waste of time on these as well. If a standard panel filter is good enough for a YB up to nearly 400bhp, a big cone filter ain't gonna do squat to a 130bhp twincam.

A "good" 4-branch manifold won't fit without mods as they were designed for LHD cars, not RHD so will foul the starter motor/gearbox. Bad ones are a waste of time fitting in the first place.

A "freeflow" exhaust system on one of these don't do much. If yours is a late one with lambda control, the catalytic converter will put paid to any real extra power anyway.

If you really want to stay twincam, rip the engine out, modify a 2.3 16V bottom end to fit (cut the fins back on the sump where it hits the steering rack), bolt an 8V cylinder head on, a set of Piper Cams and some aftermarket management with lambda control. That, combined with a set of Vauxhall 2.5 V6 injectors will see you on the good side of around 170bhp.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM
bellturbo
Virgin

top man seems good advice, thankyou in due course. im not really worried about spending thousands which seems the obvious with the latter half of your post(2.3 conversions or engine swaps)
seems an ashley 4 branch and an exhaust is about as far as i can go very frustrating from a tuning point of view as its a great little car and catalytic converter whats is one of those thankfully it doesnt need one being of g reg origin. ow well shall just put it on a biggg diet and get it to handle better hopefully this will compensate for my lack of skill and lack of power haha.

Last edited by bellturbo; 02-01-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 AM
snoopaloopa
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Be careful of the impedance as mentioned as well mate as the cossie yellows are low impedance, not sure about the twinks. I had to use a ballast pack to run them on my v6