Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

how do u use the zetec camshaft timing locking kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
john_d
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do u use the zetec camshaft timing locking kit?

zetec silvertop

ive bought this but how do u use it?

i know the bar goes into the cams, but how do u lock the crankshaft, im guessing u use 1 of the pins?

TIA
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by mondeo_st24_v6
zetec silvertop

ive bought this but how do u use it?

i know the bar goes into the cams, but how do u lock the crankshaft, im guessing u use 1 of the pins?

TIA

next to the cps there is a 10mm headed bolt un do this and tern the engine over (buy hand) till the bar looks like it will nearly fit in the cams then screw to longer of the 2 thredded bolts (if you have to in your set) into this hold buy the cps then tern the crank over buy hand till it locks up you SHOULD then fined that the bar will then fit into the cams mite need to give it a tap tho
Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clarke5700
next to the cps there is a 10mm headed bolt un do this and tern the engine over (buy hand) till the bar looks like it will nearly fit in the cams then screw to longer of the 2 thredded bolts (if you have to in your set) into this hold buy the cps then tern the crank over buy hand till it locks up you SHOULD then fined that the bar will then fit into the cams mite need to give it a tap tho
Exactly as well descibed, just to add, take plugs out lot easier to turn, then you can actually hear the crank web contact the pin that you insert, if bar is way off going in slots rotate another 180, as offset.
tabetha
Old 06-06-2009, 01:24 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

"Blacktop" upside down on a stand. Timing pin and blanking bolt.

and how the pin works inside.

I'd just add, having seen the results of ignoring this, is that both the cam plate and the crankshaft pin are only for alignment. DO NOT use them as locking devices for doing up or undoing any bolts.

Martin
Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Top info there,whats wrong with good old timing marks.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Maki
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Top info there,whats wrong with good old timing marks.
There are none on zetec
Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Timing marks aren't accurate enough for the tree huggers (emmissions standards strike again) ....... or simple enough for auto assembly perhaps.

Martin
Old 11-03-2013, 05:52 PM
redturner37

My Zetec is in a single seater and timing marks are certainly not accurate enough. I use a dial gauge to find tdc and also to dial the cams in....
Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by redturner37
My Zetec is in a single seater and timing marks are certainly not accurate enough. I use a dial gauge to find tdc and also to dial the cams in....

Did you check the Ford TDC timing pin against the dial gauge ? I don't see how you can 'dial in' cams using just a dial gauge. I use the conventional method of using one to measure a set valve lift (say 1mm) and a degree disc on the camshaft. Final adjustment on dyno using vernier pulleys.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:50 PM
redturner37

I couldnt find where the locking bolt went into the block, so as I normally do used the dial gauge on top of the piston to find tdc, this gets rid of the dwell, then set the timing disc up with a pointer at the correct inlet full open position as dictated by the cam. Use the dial gauge to ensure that cam is on full lift, then fit pulleys. I would never use vernier pulleys, an unnessary expense. With standard Ford cams I would guess that the slots in the end of the cam can be assumed to be accurate, with aftermarket cams I wouldnt risk it.................
Old 11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Well if your using a 'Silvertop' block you will have problems finding the timing pin location.

So your not logging either valve opening or closing when timing.
Vernier pulleys have always been an important aid to timing. Necessary back in the days of keyways (though they could be left out) to correct minor machining inaccuracy before CNC grinding. Nowadays they are necessary for optimising timing on a dyno. You can't tweak cams without an indication of movement.
With aftermarket cams the accuracy can usually be found to be good on the slots, its just the optimal setting might be 3degrees out. Found that to be very consistent on several dynoed engines.
Fords own cams are often damaged by owners who've used the alignment bar as a lock bar. And there is known tolerance problems which led to TSB issue.
Old 22-07-2013, 03:59 PM
nickjaxe

Hi guys sorry for butting in on your thread...

I wonder if any of you guys could clear this up for me,

My son in law has just bought a 2001 1.6 zetec Focus thats over due for a cam belt,

This engine is not like other's I have done and I'm concerned about the correct way to lock the Crank when un-doing the crank pulley bolt,

I have seen this locking kit on Ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3107010900...84.m1423.l2649

Am I right in thinking that the bigger bolt can be used to lock the crank and undo the pulley bolt and the to re-tighten it when finished...

Nick from Cheshire.
Old 22-07-2013, 05:47 PM
pdfbt40
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by nickjaxe
Hi guys sorry for butting in on your thread...

I wonder if any of you guys could clear this up for me,

My son in law has just bought a 2001 1.6 zetec Focus thats over due for a cam belt,

This engine is not like other's I have done and I'm concerned about the correct way to lock the Crank when un-doing the crank pulley bolt,

I have seen this locking kit on Ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3107010900...84.m1423.l2649

Am I right in thinking that the bigger bolt can be used to lock the crank and undo the pulley bolt and the to re-tighten it when finished...

Nick from Cheshire.

The simple answer is NO. You should never use a timing ALIGNMENT tool, crankshaft or camshaft for undoing pulley bolts.

It is surprisingly easy to distort camshafts or even break the alignment slots.

The crankshaft alignment bolt is a stop against a flat IN A CLOCKWISE direction. Turn it anti clockwise and it will be hit on the side and bend.

Assuming the engine is in place, use the gearbox (5 gear) and brakes.

The Zetec-S engine must have the crank bolt replaced and properly torqued in place against the taper fitting of the pulley.

Martin