Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

flashing glow plug light...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 06:35 AM
fionane
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flashing glow plug light...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Please help,
My Focus 1.8TDi has developed a problem, the glow plug light on the dash starts to flash and the car loses all power. The engine continues to run, but there is no acceleration at all. Switch it off then on again and away you go. Its is becoming more and more frequent and is especially bad, the slower you go. I love the car, but can only just afford to keep it on the road and cant afford to spend money on scanners etc. An uncle has suggested over the phone, that it might be the Lambda sensor. Do diesels have them? Cant find it listed in parts websites. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:48 AM
Speedy G.
PassionFord Post Troll

I hope that you don't have the same problem as I had with my Mondeo TDCi as that would mean that the entire diesel circuit will have to be changed.

I suggest that you go to a Ford dealer and have them look at it.

Do a search under my name and you might be able to find my post about it.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
steve90spec
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

try the the wire that goes to the glow plugs there is a ring connetion on the right off the glow plugs that is under pressure when the air-box is fitted over the top off the plugs if yours is the same . Had the same problem on my transit and ford could not find it just about gave up on it ,but decided to change the glow plugs as a last resort and when we came to remove the wires to the g-plugs the ring connector broke , so we fixed that and left the plugs to see if that had been causing the prob and hey presto never had the glow plug light come on again that was over a month ago try this before you go to ford they wanted Ł58 every time they had to plug it up to the computer good luck
Old 12-04-2006, 03:48 PM
cpcossie

Hello mate the problem probably lies with the throttle pedal the throttle system works fly by wire check the connection on the fuel pump first where are you based i have scanner that can read that system the other way to check it is to take the pedal off and check the resistance of the pedal it works like a tps sort of. Does it not rev at all when fault happens ?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:48 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

On the Ford diesels, the glow plug light is an engine management warning light which flashes to warn of a developing fault. The ECU then cuts the power to prevent engine damage.

You can read fault codes off the milage display but then you need the dealer to tell you what the code means...

To read the codes, hold down the trip reset button and the start the car. After about 5 seconds, you will see all the guages flick over to full deflection. Once it's in this mode, release your finger off the trip reset button and then scroll through the data readings by pressing the trip reset button. You're looking for a screen that says DTC on it. If there is no fault code, then is will flash up "none". If it has a fault code then it will flash up a number. If you don't have any codes there then I don't think you will have much choice but to get a diagnostic done on the car.

When you switch off the ignition it will exit the diagnostic mode and return to normal.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
fionane
Virgin

Default glow plug light

It does not rev at all, but engine continues to run. Never had a problem starting it, glow plugs seem to work ok. Have searched on forums before for similar probs and read all sorts of poss causes from rollers on fuel pump to brake lights sharing the same wiring. This is the first time I have logged in and asked for help, I am totally confused and on verge of selling it off cheap. Totally scunnered! I work at night and its getting really noticable flicking key off then on as the lights go off and on again too!! Was not too bad when it only did it every now and again but now it will happen 6/7 times driving across town! It used to be a great wee car, giving the boy racers a run for their money. Its plain white with 17 inch BK racing alloys and low profile tyres. Totally understated but eye catching. Can't really convey how gutted I am.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:17 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 104 Likes on 96 Posts

vw have a very bad prob with the brake light switch, also flashes glow for mil, switch is a two way, normally open and normally closed switch, the fault occurs so the eng managment thinks the brakes are on and cuts throttle completly .
Old 13-04-2006, 05:57 PM
cpcossie

where are you you based i have a code reader should beable to tell u whats wrong with it
Old 19-05-2006, 03:49 PM
SteveWray
Virgin

The problem is almost certainly the throttle sensor - this is a common problem on (older) Ford Foci (particularly if you stamp on the accelerator lots!). Once the sensor starts to wear, the engine doesn't get the correct signal, and starts to run unevenly, sometimes idling too fast. Eventually the engine management system gives up, puts the engine into safe mode and flags up the error codes, causing the vehicle to lose power and the glow plug light to flash. Stopping and restarting the engine clears the problem, until it happens again.

The solution is to change the whole throttle (foot pedal + sensor), as the sensor is not sold seperately, but it only costs about Ł80, and is easy to fit.
Old 19-05-2006, 08:31 PM
magnum james
Virgin

sounds t like a throttle pedal switch fault to me too done quite a few on earlier td foci
Old 14-06-2006, 06:31 AM
fionane
Virgin

ITS SEEMS TO BE FIXED!!!!

A big thank you to this forum, but especially to Steve Wray and magnum james who both suggested fitting another accelerator pedal. This was done on Saturday by my local garage (second hand one) total cost of Ł67.

ITS LIKE HAVING A NEW CAR!!!
Old 14-06-2006, 06:33 AM
fionane
Virgin

magnum james

BIG thankyou - you replied to my post about ford focus - flashing glow plug light etc etc - took your advice and its working great.
Old 14-06-2006, 06:35 AM
fionane
Virgin

SteveWray

BIG thankyou - the advice you gave me about my focus was bang on - local garage fitted second hand accelerator pedal on sat and it has not happened again since.
Old 14-06-2006, 07:05 AM
HORNETS7
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i had the same problems with a transit exactly the same ford changed a new pedal and away it went

although i have a brand new transit now and i made the light come on by constantly pressing the pedal up and down whilst on the motorway
seems there is a fault with these pedals!

glad u got it sorted though
Old 16-04-2009, 02:35 PM
treviesweets
Virgin

Hi Guys,

I've been having exactly the same problem, the car would lose power and the glow plug light would flash as well as the accelerator pedal becomming unresponsive.

I've replaced it today so I'll post again to confirm if it worked or not.
Old 19-04-2009, 01:13 AM
treviesweets
Virgin

...quick update, new pedal seems to have done the trick car is running perfectly!
Old 11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
c8_sham
Virgin

Default flashing glow plug on cl tddi focus 2000

hi guys, my focus has just started doin exactly what your fords having been doing. glow plug starts flashing and i lose all power. gotta switch it off n back to get it working again. hmmm?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:38 AM
AlexJ
Virgin

Default Glow Plug Light Flashing and Loss of Pedal Focus TD 99

Just bough a Focus Est 1.8TD on a 99 plate, got 2 miles down the road and glow plug light started flashing then pedal wouldn't work!!! Gutted!!

Wouldn't care I test drove it and it was fine, just my luck!

Anway this happened about 6 times on a 20 mile journey and in the end, I didn't stop the car, I just switched it off and on again whilst moving.

So down to the garage it is and will first see what they say before I suggest any of the above to test their knowledge on the situation.

Will let you know the outcome.
Old 18-07-2010, 08:54 AM
AlexJ
Virgin

Said I would get back to you, diagnostics showed it was the accelerator pedal, had it changed and runs perfectly!!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
laserbream
Virgin

Hello,

Had a similar problem and browsed this forum looking for ideas. Took a chance and bought a new pedal from a scrappies round the corner. Problem solved so far!

The car also drives like it used to. I'd been blaming its crazy kangarooing on my shoddy driving skills.

Smashed the old pedal apart and found the guilty component:

I'd guess that it is a variable resistor. Damage to the resistive tracks is clearly visible. The resistor is sitting on top of the cat, who I have been trying to annoy today.
Old 17-06-2011, 08:17 PM
cwignall
Virgin

Default !!!!!

Hi

I had this problem last year.

I took it to a guy and he says the diagnostics showed it was the Diesel Injection Pump. About 800 quid later which included a 2nd hand pump, computer reset etc the problem was solved.

until now...8 months later! its doing it again. it cut out a record 15 times on a 20 minute journey!!!

have i been ripped off or could it have been the diesel pump?
Old 17-06-2011, 10:26 PM
delterflier
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hi
My mondeo st tdci has started the same thing,done it 3 times on ten min drive then once when on tick over.
When it starts flashing the car starts juddering like it's going to konk out.

Cud it be erg valve as there comon on the mondeo tdci

Cheers john
Old 18-06-2011, 08:09 AM
cwignall
Virgin

Just rang my local ford dealer.

He said the pedals have to be setup with a computer, that i cant fit it myself.

is this true or again am i being had here?
Old 19-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cwignall
Just rang my local ford dealer.

He said the pedals have to be setup with a computer, that i cant fit it myself.

is this true or again am i being had here?
I belive if yours is a Focus MK1 TDDi then no, it's plug and play

Originally Posted by delterflier
Hi
My mondeo st tdci has started the same thing,done it 3 times on ten min drive then once when on tick over.
When it starts flashing the car starts juddering like it's going to konk out.

Cud it be erg valve as there comon on the mondeo tdci

Cheers john
Chances are with your engine it's either the injectors or the fuel pump, common problems again for this engine. Looking Ł1000+ no matter which one it is.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
KG1
Virgin

Default Ford Mondeo

Having big problems with my 2.0l Ford Mondeo and I am clueless. First Glow Plug light came on once or twice with a little loss of power (when accelerating) however, on restarting car light went off! Driving ok though. Now loss of power and cutting out way more frequent, engine management light on and blower for heaters seems to have stopped working! Sent her to friends place last weekend to get tested - diagnostics, first they said fuel wasnt getting to engine, now they tell me according to signal that comes up it is an electrical fault apparently...they cant seem to tell me much more....problem is she is 2 hrs away and not looking like they can fix her so im worried about driving her back to base and doing damage ! HELPPPPPPP a clueless woman!!!!!!!
Old 17-10-2011, 10:40 AM
iancott

Help Help,
this is my problem i have a diesel 1.8 tddi 2001. the car starts fine and runs great then !!, the revs run high and the car starts to losse power and now the glow plug light flashes, i turn the engine of and the car runs great again but it is happening quite alot. i have changed the map sensor, and the EGR solinoid and also blanked off the metel pipe which comes up under the EGR valve manifold, also used a tin of Wynns cleaner but it still does it, the onley thing i have not done is the pedel, can any one help. Ian
Old 17-10-2011, 11:37 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I would start by reading the fault codes. That might give a clue what is happening.
Old 17-10-2011, 03:30 PM
iancott

will do that and keep everyone up dated. Ian
Old 17-10-2011, 04:15 PM
iancott

Ok,
this is what i have done, i did the reset button , first the guages flicked full then back, then it said gage, next was 8888, next bulb, next r 20, next E004, next was dtc which was flashing to none then back to dtc.
Any ideas. Ian
Old 17-10-2011, 04:18 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Was the glow plug light flashing?
Old 17-10-2011, 05:04 PM
iancott

Not when i did the press the reset button and went through the checks on the guages, it only flashes when i am driving not all the time, but when it does i lose power and it won't rev up, so i just turn the engine off restart and it runs fine, till it happens again. Ian
Old 17-10-2011, 05:13 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

transits do the same ,usually you dont have to turn the ignition right off ,just turn back a notch .i have been told loads of times its the flyby wire thorttlr pedal .its worth giving the contact area at the back of the pedal a clean ,or you may have to replace it .common fault
Old 17-10-2011, 05:19 PM
iancott

Ok, will take it out and give a clean , if it is still the same i will another, will keep you updated thanks Ian
Old 17-10-2011, 06:39 PM
forevaford
PassionFord Regular

i aint read all the posts but il say throttle peddle, its a tddi
Old 18-10-2011, 03:33 PM
iancott

Ok,
I took the pedel off and gave all the contacts a good clean, and put it back on, but it was not long before it was reving high again, and i have just picked up a second hand pedel just in case. but one thing i did notice even when coming to a stop and turning the engine of and back on it was still reving high, and for some reason i put my foot under the pedel to lift it back up and the revs went down, so i think dirt as got in between the plastic where the pedel moves up and down and was jaming, so i just took it of and put the other one on and gave it a really good clean, car starts up normal but not took it for a test drive yet, but will update. Ian
Old 18-10-2011, 04:28 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

lets hope thats it ian
Old 18-10-2011, 04:31 PM
iancott

fingers crossed will let u know James . Ian
Old 18-10-2011, 04:33 PM
iancott

Just anothe question i have blanked off the pipe below the EGR valve on the inlet manifold , should i leave it or take it back off. Ian
Old 23-10-2011, 05:00 PM
iancott

Well guys, just an update, I put another pedel on and the car and it is runing great, the revs are normal, i have also left the blanking plate on, and the car seems to be ok, no lights coming on the dash and plenty of speed, also i went to Blackpool from Leeds with no problem at all and also towed back a Boom Trike without any problems. Like to thank all you guys for helping me without these threads it would have cost me a fortune to get it fixed, also it helps anyone else who comes up with the same problem. Ian
Old 23-10-2011, 07:15 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

great news ian

Quick Reply: flashing glow plug light...........HELP!!!!!!!!!!