Technical essay Archives A collection of topics you really shouldnt have missed first time round if your interested in the technical aspect of how these Fords work..!! Also many Workshop manuals available in downloadable format. Access is available to Gold Members only.

OBD Code Reader - Topdon Artilink201

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Received 303 Likes on 197 Posts
Default OBD Code Reader - Topdon Artilink201

Recieved a Topdon OBD Code Reader and not used anything other than my Snap-On Solus Ultra's before at work so I'm used to being able to do more than just read codes so I assumed this would do just that, read codes.

I was pleasantly surprised! My wifes MK6 Fiesta 1.4 TDCi was test bed as she's had an intermitant light popping up for the immobiliser light, it's supposed to only come on when her cars off, but has been stopping on when she drives.. this is now cleared thanks to this.

It is really plug and play, I internationally didn't read instructions to see how I'd understand it's use... 4 buttons, can't go wrong.

If you can use a 90's mobile phone, you can use this.

Also read live data... engine temps, which is good as my last BMW E61 didn't have a temp guage, still don't know why BMW went that way? But yeh... reads live data for engine temps, intake and exhaust temps!

A lot of data that most drive way mechanic wont ever need, but from such a small device that saves you having to pay the average £30+ most garages charge for code reading you'd be better off buying this and doing it yourself.

I'm not saying this does away with the need for garage equipment as this wouldn't go as far as coding injectors etc but for ease of initial diagnoses at home? Brilliant!

Some pics of what screen shows...

I've had issues with the wifes injector spill off pipes lately, after they perished fitted new ones and retainer clips failed twice! But to get to them and check is a nightmare but was able to check fuel rail pressures today without stripping things off to see if she's leaking!

VIN number checks!

Also cleared some airbag lights from a friends Smart Car today.

Not usually one for reviewing things but this is good value for money and I recommend it to people.

Link...

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Minirotty; 03-02-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Old 26-09-2017, 05:25 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks like a good bit of kit that mate, surely you can't beat it for that price!
The following users liked this post:
Minirotty (26-09-2017)
Old 26-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

Yeah its great mate, for the price and given me that bit of confidence back on being able to diagnose my own faults again via OBD without having to count on someone else.
Old 29-09-2017, 04:57 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If it did your chums airbag light it presumably does all the non engine systems, like SRS, brakes, aircon etc? If so, cracking at that price.
Old 30-09-2017, 07:51 AM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

It does only EOBD/OBD2, so I doubt if you can clear Airbag lights with it.
See: http://www.wheretobuya.net/obd2eobd-...-topdon-al201/
Old 30-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Minirotty
Lucifer II - 666

I cleared his codes and air bag light went out, not making it up lol
Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Looks like a good tool. Not available on amazon as out of stock but found it on https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/202074482305

If I didn't have the rac scanner to use I would buy one for sure