Technical essay Archives A collection of topics you really shouldnt have missed first time round if your interested in the technical aspect of how these Fords work..!! Also many Workshop manuals available in downloadable format. Access is available to Gold Members only.

500 bhp in a std comp cossie

Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crumpet
because i could say ive got a turbo the size of my head

plus would sound immense with external wg.... im gonna ring mark shead to get more info bout it tomoro, Iv read of a few people that have gt35's come on full boost at around 4-4.5k
The less boost you run the longer it will take to come on boost so your statement is wrong!!!
In the real world you should spec the smallest turbo for the job..ie you want 400 hp and 400 lb ft you could ring the death out of a t34 or make it nicely with a ut t38 or even better my choice would be a gt3071 at 2 bar...
A gt35 at say 20 psi will be lazy and shit and any well set up car with the above turbo will rinse your arse!!!
Mark will tell you the same story and you will end up with the gt30...

cheers danny
Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
crumpet
Advanced PassionFord User

rang mark up earlier, helpful bloke, i dont wanna spend shit loads of money on a gt3071r though or a t38, plus i want an external gate, id have a t34 but id have to weld up the wastegate flap and get a differ manifold
Old 17-11-2010, 12:34 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you want external gate if you don't need it?
Old 17-11-2010, 10:41 PM
crumpet

because theyre better boost control and i love jb feltches saph!!

since this post ive grew a penis and decided a t34.63 will do the job, 380-400bhp with a reyland external adaptor, i dont really like boost spikes, my old c20let used to do it till i bypassed the amal and ran 18 psi straight from actuator to comp housing, went alot better imo
Old 18-11-2010, 02:23 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

So you're spending a load of cash on something you don't need, because:

-You like someones car
-It may give you better boost control, which doesn't need to be improved on anyway?

Old 18-11-2010, 07:59 PM
crumpet

Im just obsessed with screamer pipes, but in the long run its just easier to keep actuator, all that money for external on a t34 is pointless
Old 19-11-2010, 12:12 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by James90RS
So you're spending a load of cash on something you don't need
A little like a spec r intercooler

Old 20-11-2010, 11:25 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by BRAMMER
A little like a spec r intercooler

The results of the cooler have spoken for themselves, and if you think you won't need WI, or a better cooler, with 550+hp on an Airtec cooler, then I feel sorry for you
Old 20-11-2010, 02:49 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The results of the cooler have spoken for themselves
Have they really, it made the same power but it is Guestimated that in the height of the summer it would perform better that's all.

As for me using my 70mm Airtec cooler it's like you lot using a standard head over ported, So you see where the Airtec looses in ACT's in the summer you lose power in the head all the time
Old 20-11-2010, 03:24 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

My engine should give 500hp on std head and spec-r cooler, and be 500hp all the time, due to acts, if I had headwork I'd only see around another 20hp. The head was already bolted to the block when I took the build over, so left it

So I'd lose 20hp from no headwork on my engine, but lose probably around the same or more in the summer, with a normal cooler

Would be interesting to see how the Airtec performs back to back with Spec-R with around 550hp

We'll see next summer won't we
Old 20-11-2010, 03:27 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

So you're spending a load of cash on something you don't need, because:

-You like someones car
-It may give you better boost control, which doesn't need to be improved on anyway?

If you actually quoted my whole post

I believe in the summer, ACTS on 500hp+ with an Airtec, would be need to be improved to give consistent power
Old 20-11-2010, 05:41 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think M.A.D are leading you all down the garden path
Old 20-11-2010, 08:32 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Mate im never led down the garden path on anything!!!once theres a proven product better than any other product on the market i will use it ful stop..
The spec r is that product and is far superior than the airtech and will show myself how much more superior than the pro alloy..

cheers danny
Old 20-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Mate im never led down the garden path on anything!!!once theres a proven product better than any other product on the market i will use it ful stop..
The spec r is that product and is far superior than the airtech and will show myself how much more superior than the pro alloy..

cheers danny
Little Tip DONT BITE!!! .
Old 20-11-2010, 09:31 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

General rant Danny, not directly aimed mate

I know the cooler will work efficiently but what a clan of you are forgetting on here is, this modifying game is a hobby to most who have different budgets raging from fuck all to the other side of Ł50k+.

Now in that range many people would be happy to have a setup that consisted of products that are to many proven to work to a respectable level, granted not as well as others but on the budget you have it will have to currently do so to have a group of people that bum a very expensive new product slag everything else is a bit annoying.

If i had that much available cash i would have Harvey build and spec me a 700+ motor but i don't so what i have will have to do - you see where i'm coming from.

Like you know theirs 2 ways to a power figure - the hard way reduced prices & old products or expensive state of the art goodies.

I know everyone has the right to speak their mind so obviously you can big a product up but when you get mocked and statements slagged it's a complete piss take.

It's like this, imagine a gang of Bugatti owners dared venture onto this site and picked up and boring Rods thread and slagged it to fuck for not being able to hit 220mph he would feel a little pissed off as the two vehicles in question are at different ends of the spectrum in price.

Rant over.

But what i will add is i will try my Airtec on my spec with a GT3076r set up and see what the results are as you have tested this cooler on a turbo that say hasn't the best record.
Old 20-11-2010, 09:38 PM
crumpet

its an intercooler, fuck sake it does the same job, both 70mm, ones alot cheaper than the other but the downside is charge temps are 2-3 degrees warmer? LOL
Old 20-11-2010, 09:48 PM
BANNED
BANNED

General rant Danny, not directly aimed mate

I know the cooler will work efficiently but what a clan of you are forgetting on here is, this modifying game is a hobby to most who have different budgets raging from fuck all to the other side of Ł50k+.

Now in that range many people would be happy to have a setup that consisted of products that are to many proven to work to a respectable level, granted not as well as others but on the budget you have it will have to currently do so to have a group of people that bum a very expensive new product slag everything else is a bit annoying.

If i had that much available cash i would have Harvey build and spec me a 700+ motor but i don't so what i have will have to do - you see where i'm coming from.

Like you know theirs 2 ways to a power figure - the hard way reduced prices & old products or expensive state of the art goodies.

I know everyone has the right to speak their mind so obviously you can big a product up but when you get mocked and statements slagged it's a complete piss take.

It's like this, imagine a gang of Bugatti owners dared venture onto this site and picked up and boring Rods thread and slagged it to fuck for not being able to hit 220mph he would feel a little pissed off as the two vehicles in question are at different ends of the spectrum in price.

Rant over.

But what i will add is i will try my Airtec on my spec with a GT3076r set up and see what the results are as you have tested this cooler on a turbo that say hasn't the best record.
Chris i see your point totally mate but just because you cant warrant spending the extra dosh it doesnt mean you should be blinkered to the fact theres better out there thats all im saying..
Your car mapped with you airtech fitted and it will be fine mate but wont be as powerfull as if it was mapped on the spec r and that is a simple fact that even if you cant afford is true..
Of course if you were rich you would have harvey build you an engine and none of this would even be spoke about but i realise that not everyone can afford Ł20k+ engines!!lol

cheers danny
Old 20-11-2010, 09:59 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Danny @ Enhanced Performance
Your car mapped with you airtech fitted and it will be fine mate but wont be as powerfull as if it was mapped on the spec r and that is a simple fact
Exactly, but the YB has been going nearly as long as i've been born and they have been producing big power on what some class as poor products now so it's like i said there's 2 ways around it the old way or the new way but which ever you can still get there but it might take a bit longer
Old 15-07-2014, 01:39 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just thought Id bring this back up to the top as it is a very interesting thread and might be a good read, apart from the Phil being difficult bits, to some of the users on here who have not seen it before. Was also good for me to read again as a bit of a refresher as its been so long since I was looking into similar things.
Old 17-07-2014, 07:30 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Have they really, it made the same power but it is Guestimated that in the height of the summer it would perform better that's all.

As for me using my 70mm Airtec cooler it's like you lot using a standard head over ported, So you see where the Airtec looses in ACT's in the summer you lose power in the head all the time
The facts are a RS500 Intercooler showed +20 over ambient, on a hot day it would activate the WI. The Spec R showed +7 under the same conditions.
On a cold day ive seen negative temperatures under throttle with the Spec R.
Intercoolers are all about the efficiency of the core & how much airflow it gets. The Spec r is smaller than the Airtec although its much thicker its designed to get maximum airflow from the opening at the front of a RS Cosworth. Its expensive because the core is far more efficient. I researched & bought the first cores for Pete at Spec R from the States it was a compromise between Cost/Efficiency. Ł700 was the cost point for the Cooler in this market. Far more efficient cores can be sourced but the market wont stand a Ł2000+ intercooler to get the max from the best cores.
I hope these facts prove that there are no guesstimates when im involved just proven facts.
Childish ranting because you cant afford the best is very childish some can afford Fords some Ferrari's.
Old 17-07-2014, 08:07 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I`ve mapped quite a few cars on the Airtec top feed cooler though, and even at over 36psi on GT30s the Inlet temps were only a max of 5 degrees over ambient on the dyno, most of the time the were only 1-2 degrees up on ambient and thats sat on a dyno run after run after run while mapping.
Thats far from bad so i dont see what all the fuss is about. The cheaper one works really well and i wouldn't hesitate to fit one to any car.

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 17-07-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 17-07-2014, 11:01 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James @ M Developments.
I`ve mapped quite a few cars on the Airtec top feed cooler though, and even at over 36psi on GT30s the Inlet temps were only a max of 5 degrees over ambient on the dyno, most of the time the were only 1-2 degrees up on ambient and thats sat on a dyno run after run after run while mapping.
Thats far from bad so i dont see what all the fuss is about. The cheaper one works really well and i wouldn't hesitate to fit one to any car.
on a t4 car running 32psi we were seeing progressively rising charge temps untill they were upwards of 43/44 degrees when running full chat from 2nd to fifth and climbing. this was on a top feed airtec.
i have a pro alloy made cooler on mine using the same core as spec r and i have none of these issues. it is a very good core.
the pro alloy rs500 cooler ime seems to fair better than the top fed airtec.
it could have been an early model if they have changed since then but my findings were that theyre inadequate above 500 bhp for sure.

ps it was a warm day, high teens iirc nothing like were having atm.
Old 18-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Harryh24
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was still trying to decide what intercooler for my engine, but living in Spain I need the best one I can afford, so looks like the airtec now I defiantly out and a spec r will be bought.
Old 18-07-2014, 08:17 AM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by J1mbo
on a t4 car running 32psi we were seeing progressively rising charge temps untill they were upwards of 43/44 degrees when running full chat from 2nd to fifth and climbing. this was on a top feed airtec.
i have a pro alloy made cooler on mine using the same core as spec r and i have none of these issues. it is a very good core.
the pro alloy rs500 cooler ime seems to fair better than the top fed airtec.
it could have been an early model if they have changed since then but my findings were that theyre inadequate above 500 bhp for sure.

ps it was a warm day, high teens iirc nothing like were having atm.
We never saw any issues like that on Ronnies Time attacker,
Old 21-07-2014, 09:41 AM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although its away from the original topic I do find it interesting that some see good results from the top feed airtec and others not so good. Is there a known reason for this? Does it vary so much because of the available air flow through bumpers on a 3dr, to Sapph, to Escos? Is there a difference in how one tuner maps to another, on an identical engine for example, that could cause a difference?
Old 21-07-2014, 09:33 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Childish ranting because you cant afford the best is very childish some can afford Fords some Ferrari's.
Nothing to do with money i'm more than happy to spend what ever if i see fit, i agree the Spec R item is very good but i'm just looking for something that's good enough not the best, i got my cooler when they were introduced and cost me next to nothing and i got it within 2 weeks, it would be 2015 before Pete could supply me with the same he can't even knock out engine bay tanks in 6 months

The difference between our cars is mines a hobby, something to piss about with when i have time and yours a professional vehicle challenging for a title so like comparing a 205 GTI to a T16.

My topfeed cooler showed 1.2 degree increase over ambient after multiple runs
Old 22-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Nothing to do with money i'm more than happy to spend what ever if i see fit, i agree the Spec R item is very good but i'm just looking for something that's good enough not the best, i got my cooler when they were introduced and cost me next to nothing and i got it within 2 weeks, it would be 2015 before Pete could supply me with the same he can't even knock out engine bay tanks in 6 months

The difference between our cars is mines a hobby, something to piss about with when i have time and yours a professional vehicle challenging for a title so like comparing a 205 GTI to a T16.

My topfeed cooler showed 1.2 degree increase over ambient after multiple runs
Lol your 100% right Chris ! The spec r stuff is ok Had Pete make the stuff for Julian Godfrey's fiesta Rally Cross car intercooler in the front and the rad in the back had a massive 20 degree drop compared to the forge stuff he was using ! Then we tried the spec r rad/cooler in a 500 race car and found unless the car was run in clean air which only happens if your in front we started seeing water temps of 115 degrees and rapidly rising air temps up to 48 degrees , So put the standard 26 year old 500 cooler/rad back in it was spot on as the cooler was just too thick and needs a good bit a of ducting work and bumper modding to get more airflow through it ! So in a 500 bhp road fun car I agree with James
Old 22-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay,
Lol your 100% right Chris ! The spec r stuff is ok Had Pete make the stuff for Julian Godfrey's fiesta Rally Cross car intercooler in the front and the rad in the back had a massive 20 degree drop compared to the forge stuff he was using ! Then we tried the spec r rad/cooler in a 500 race car and found unless the car was run in clean air which only happens if your in front we started seeing water temps of 115 degrees and rapidly rising air temps up to 48 degrees , So put the standard 26 year old 500 cooler/rad back in it was spot on as the cooler was just too thick and needs a good bit a of ducting work and bumper modding to get more airflow through it ! So in a 500 bhp road fun car I agree with James
I take it this was the Brooklin car and was it logged as the time I checked that car on the dyno and found the owner was looking at the 20year old VDO gauge was reading wrong.

Mark
Old 22-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I take it this was the Brooklin car and was it logged as the time I checked that car on the dyno and found the owner was looking at the 20year old VDO gauge was reading wrong.

Mark
You have the right car yes but no it wasnt taken from the gauges it was taken from the ecu datalog
Old 22-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jay,
You have the right car yes but no it wasnt taken from the gauges it was taken from the ecu datalog
Cool as when I checked it they had not thought about checking logging before saying it had a problem,
As I was only checking it for Pete I did not follow anything after that.

Mark
Old 22-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
Cool as when I checked it they had not thought about checking logging before saying it had a problem,
As I was only checking it for Pete I did not follow anything after that.

Mark
I changed all the vdo's Mark lol as like you say they were shot but were kept like everything else off the car so all the original bits stay with it
Old 07-10-2017, 02:34 PM
ossie cossie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

500 bhp is my goal as well
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Mad_Mat
New Owner

Received 93 Likes on 90 Posts

Holy thread revival batman.

I want 500bhp to but will settle for 360.
Old 27-10-2017, 11:17 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

500bhp is my goal too and this is on a standard engine - will be happy with 450bhp to be honest.

Im running standard engine, Hart inlet, Holset HX35 turbo, Siemens 83lb and Omex 600 ecu.

Fingers crossed it dont go brang again
Old 27-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by R4N SS
500bhp is my goal too and this is on a standard engine - will be happy with 450bhp to be honest.

Im running standard engine, Hart inlet, Holset HX35 turbo, Siemens 83lb and Omex 600 ecu.

Fingers crossed it dont go brang again
internal gated twin scroll or external gate.

Mark
Old 11-12-2017, 10:21 AM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

internal gated twin scroll
Old 11-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by R4N SS
internal gated twin scroll
check to see if the wastegate only bleads off one side of the twin scroll as there is a version like that and should never be fitted to a petrol engine as it’s a bodge.

Mark
The following users liked this post:
R4N SS (23-02-2018)