Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta st3 180 300 bhp daily project

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 07:23 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Fiesta st3 180 300 bhp daily project

Hi just got my new daily driver after having driven a focus st170 for around 5 years . The focus st170 had just reached 70000 miles which was very low and in general very good condition for its age , no major rust around the rear arches etc and had msd coilpack and leads , 67 cfm throttle body , cfm early zetec thermostat conversion , cfm rear torque mount , pumaspeed billet throttle clip etc etc . It caused me a few problems over the years with lambdas , radiator bursting , leaking mater cylinders but generally it was a very reliable sound car. I loved the handling of it especially with it being a bigger car than all the other fiesta I've owned over the years. I kept thinking and thinking wether to buy a new car or just stick with the focus but the cost of replacement parts etc was outweighing my logic of keeping it so decided to splash the cash and get a frozen white Fiesta st3 180 . It's a 15 plate but only done 9995 miles when I purchased it , very tidy with a few chips here and there but nothing major. Totally standard and I was blow away with the handling it's light years ahead of the focus and the power was a nice and progressive if not a little underpowered if iam honest , don't get me wrong the car is cracking in every way but it just needs that little bit extra so I can see why people went for the mountune kit which kept the ford warranty , from factory it must be awesome.
anyway heres some pics
Focus before she went to her new home

And the new beast lol

new seat covers fitted

Maxon rear spoiler

Front maxon splitter

Engine bay pretty standard and clean but not going to be like that for long

Last edited by zetaboostboy522bhp; 03-09-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:43 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice any idea what power the 170 was and what difference did the throttle body make? Looking for cheap power upgrades on my daily 170

fez looks nice.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:28 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by costina
Nice any idea what power the 170 was and what difference did the throttle body make? Looking for cheap power upgrades on my daily 170

fez looks nice.

cheers mate , the focus throttle body is meant to add 8 bhp but i think about 5 bhp , you can feel the difference , getting mods to work on the st 170 is very hard , i would decat and full exhaust system and a closed induction system then i think it would give you more bang for buck.

cheers paul
Old 03-09-2018, 09:41 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Well I have a decat and miltek with std airbox and new paper filter...

Just needs a bit more any idea about the exhaust cam 8 degree change?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:55 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by costina
Well I have a decat and miltek with std airbox and new paper filter...

Just needs a bit more any idea about the exhaust cam 8 degree change?
yes have heard good things again about that but it needs setting up right , i think the induction system is one of the hardest things to get right as alot are open systems and you get alot of heat soak off the engine , you could maybe try the fiesta st180 itg filter head with custom pipe work to get it down behind the head light so its out of the way , it works very well , most of my mods were more replace with stonger parts before i have a massive bill on my hands , i would defo do the billet lever on the inlet.
next for me would be cams with vvt delete or head work with cams after that itd throttle bodies or turbo and turbo would be cheaper and easier

cheers paul
Old 03-09-2018, 11:13 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Well after 2 weeks of ownership and being very happy ive decided the car defo needs more power and with stage1 not being up to much the car will be going stage 4 maybe stage 5 from collins performance. The price difference is a few hundered quid from stage 3 to stage 4 so i might aswell bite the bullet and just go for it.
mods will be
airtec stage 3 intercooler
airtec boost pipe
itg induction kit
vudu quick shifter
vudu rear engine mount
pro alloy boost pipe kit
pro alloy intake pipe kit
enhance performance ultimate exhaust resonated
enhance performance large bore down pipe
enhance performance decat or race cat
uprated hangers
Or same milltek not decided fully yet
collins performance tt270 or tt280 turbo need to talk to collins about the 280 as its not out yet
stage 4 or 5 remap
also de symposer
and i dont know what bov to fit as collins have said not to use the gfb dv+ as they had problems and stopped selling them . Ive also heard bad things about the turbosmart bov leaking etc so i dont know which to use any advise from anyone would be great
then a quaife diff at some point

iam hoping to see 300wbhp that will be enough for a daily.

Cheers paul

Last edited by zetaboostboy522bhp; 03-09-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Well a few parts turned up today

airtec boost hose fitted as it only took 5 mins to fit

airtec stage 3 intercooler black no logo

vudu rear torque mount

vudu gear shifter

vudu shifter and gear box mount £199 for both and great quality i must admit

Vudu magnetic sump plug

hopefully itg induction kit will be here so i can fit that tommorrow after work

cheers paul
Old 03-09-2018, 08:00 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Looks like some nice kit.
Trouble is Paul when do you stop lol

300whp will become more.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:29 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

300 bhp for a daily will do me , I don't want anymore plus I still have the rallycross Fiesta to build and that will be at least 550bhp so that will be and is my first love and a build that will take some time so this will be the toy to keep me busy while I rebuild the fiesta.
its good that most of the parts are bolt on unlike the other fiesta where everything is custom and expensive lol

cheers paul
Old 04-09-2018, 04:21 AM
bluntys1rsturbo
Boost addict

Received 150 Likes on 145 Posts

great cars mate absolutely love mine at cp2 level, Genuinely was pleasantly surprised at just how good these little st180s are when we got ours.

If i were you id hang fire for cp5 to be released as they are saying 340-360bhp with all you have listed above you would have everything in place barring the turbo/and uprated fuel pump.
Im certainly going to look at going cp5 next year if it all the testing goes well etc.

if you buy anything from AET dont forget to enter B7TMY in for 10% discount
Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Itg induction came today and got straight on fitting it after work , it's a little bit fiddly but nothing to complex to fit the only problem was I tightened the air filter clamp and it crushed the tube so had to reshape it , maybe they should swage the end of the tube to add some strength. Anyway got it fitted and it looks very good in the bay , the best bit was to come the noise is utter quality and totally transforms the car , sounds like darth Vader snorting coke through a straw lol .
i would Defo recommend the kit to anyone well worth the cash.
dont know if it's added any bhp but it will be ready for the cp stage 4 or 5

cheers paul

Last edited by zetaboostboy522bhp; 05-09-2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:09 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Vudu engine mount fitted , alot of vibration at low revs but hopeing it softens up abit with time , but it does what it says on the tin and really does make the car feel so much better when launched

vudu quick shifter fitted , this really does make the car feel and drive so much better and is one of the best mods you can make to the car without a doubt , very easy to fit did both in 30 mins

more updates coming soon

cheers paul
Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

decent cars my daughter has one and ended up taking off the poly engine mount as she hated the vibration, took it over to mountune a few weeks back and they installed the entry level stage upgrade and she loves its, just waiting for her to say I want more power lol
Old 10-09-2018, 09:24 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by 1-PD
decent cars my daughter has one and ended up taking off the poly engine mount as she hated the vibration, took it over to mountune a few weeks back and they installed the entry level stage upgrade and she loves its, just waiting for her to say I want more power lol
whats the entry level , is it just the 215 kit , mine does vibrate when pulling off etc hoping it softens up abit as it did on my focus st. It really does make a difference , what torque mount did you use , did you go back to standard?

cheers paul
Old 10-09-2018, 10:18 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
whats the entry level , is it just the 215 kit , mine does vibrate when pulling off etc hoping it softens up abit as it did on my focus st. It really does make a difference , what torque mount did you use , did you go back to standard?

cheers paul
yeah the 215, nice smooth drive not too savage unlike the M185 they put on my mk6 ST a few months back, the mount was a collins one so just put on a original new ford one and she is happy as vibration has all gone and fitted it on my st150 as its only a toy so mind a bit of vibration on that

Last edited by STeve; 10-09-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:07 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Keeping an eye on this Paul, its a cracking little project you have there! And its actually made me look at ST's as a little run about! Howmuch do you think a complete 300hp package would cost?
Old 11-09-2018, 12:34 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by bassboy
Keeping an eye on this Paul, its a cracking little project you have there! And its actually made me look at ST's as a little run about! Howmuch do you think a complete 300hp package would cost?
it all depends who you use etc , and weather you can be arsed to fit all the parts yourself as that will save you hundreds .

induction hose £70
itg induction kit £250
airtec stage 3 intercooler £550
exhaust system with decat £700+
large bore down pipe £150
quick shifter , torque mount £199
pro alloy boost pipe kit £425
pro alloy intake kit £220( dont buy the large bore elbow as it dosent fit the tt turbo only x range turbos)
cp tt270 turbo or the new tt280 , actuator , remap
£1750 fitted should see 330 bhp and 290 to 305 wbhp
the new tt280 should see 350+bhp but i dont know if there any extra mods like fuel pumps etc as its not not been fully developed yet
They are a great car mate for everyday fun

cheers paul
Old 27-09-2018, 06:13 PM
riks2rst
Regular Contributor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sub’d!! Just been looking at these as unfortunately my girlfriends cars gonna be written off so looking as a contender for a replacement. 300bhp+ would be great fun!! Is there any internal engine work needed? Also what about the clutch?
Old 27-09-2018, 07:48 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

No internal work and the clutch is good for 300 bhp , it's got a ap fitted as standard but at 300 bhp it should be ok but I think your verging on the boarder line and may need to upgrade to be safe . I will ask Collins what they think but I've seen a lot of people running around 330 bhp without issues. They are worth every penny mate trust me as I would of not spent that kind of cash on a shit car.
defo buy the itg induction kit it transforms the sound of the car in an instant
and remember to enter B7TMY code to save 10% at aet motorsport

cheers paul
The following users liked this post:
riks2rst (27-09-2018)
Old 27-09-2018, 08:13 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Nice mate be rapid little motor that
Old 28-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Very nice little potent car ..love it mate .
Old 28-09-2018, 05:25 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Well a few parts turned up today

airtec boost hose fitted as it only took 5 mins to fit

airtec stage 3 intercooler black no logo

vudu rear torque mount

vudu gear shifter

vudu shifter and gear box mount £199 for both and great quality i must admit

Vudu magnetic sump plug

hopefully itg induction kit will be here so i can fit that tommorrow after work

cheers paul
Out of interest, why didn't you go for the AIRTEC shifter and torque mount? I only ask as a mate happened to ask me which one he should go for and wasn't sure!

Cool project by the way; they go like rockets at 300+bhp.
Old 29-09-2018, 06:33 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by XRT_si
Out of interest, why didn't you go for the AIRTEC shifter and torque mount? I only ask as a mate happened to ask me which one he should go for and wasn't sure!

Cool project by the way; they go like rockets at 300+bhp.
airtec shifter is cheaper , but I wanted it anodised so it didn't start furring up as it's just machined alloy , and they do a deal at aet Motorsport for both £199 which isn't to bad , I just like the look and they are very well made. The major downside is the added vibration , but when launching the car you can feel the difference so it's all about give and take , I just don't want it to shake the car to bits after all it is built by ford lol.

cheers paul
Old 30-09-2018, 05:45 AM
bluntys1rsturbo
Boost addict

Received 150 Likes on 145 Posts

iv just purchased the vudu quickshift & rear torque mount for our st180, has luck had it aet are having a bit of a ford fest sale as well

I have been informed that the vudu torque mount does bed in slightly so doesnt vibrate as much after a few weeks.
Old 30-09-2018, 05:24 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Hope so as I've done 1100 miles already lol can't wait for cp5 when they get there fingers out.

cheers paul
Old 30-12-2018, 02:41 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Not done alot to the fiesta apart from curb one alloy as a bus nearly wiped me out but got some paint and will paint the full alloy . There are 2 different colours , 1 early and 1 later , mine the later which is also a wv colour.
Also not yet fitted the intercooler as iam waiting closer to the day collins release the cp5 kit if they ever do.
been busy buying some parts for the car , one major thing was the exhaust , ive seen a few and watched countless you tube clips and most of them sound all farty which is not what a wanted. I like the sound of the original exhaust tbh . Even thou milltek are on my door step i decide against one as i didnt like the build quality and alot of mig welded parts.
so seeing as i build the odd zetec turbo manifold etc so knows what it takes to build a quality unit i searched and searched for ages and found the enhanced performance ultimate exhaust system .

Full 3 inch system with mandrel bends , fully tig welded and back purged , full vband fitting , v band exhaust tip , brushed finished , x4 uprated exhaust bushes.
I wanted a resonated system as theres no real loss of power and its a every day car so dont want it droning .
also ordered the enhanced performance large bore decat pipe which is 3 1/2 inch to 3 inch again full mandrel bends , lambda bosses , fully tig welded and back purged . The only down side is the it does come with the support bracket or fittings for the heatsheild so i may add these to the down pipe . I will fit the exhaust but leave the downpipe to collins on mapping as the eml comes on etc.
The quality is the best ive seen without a doubt , the only problem is that they sent me a non resonated centre section , so rmailed and its coming after the 2nd of jan and he said i could keep the non res centre section for free if i do a review and send it to them as theres only one video of there system on the web. So i will do standard vs res vs non res videos .

thats all until fitting and collins get there fingers out

p.s just looked at ian howells facebook page and low snd behold hes just been building a closed deck block , custom piston , rods , liners , etc and hes also done the cylinder head so i might be spending a few more grand lol

cheers paul

Last edited by zetaboostboy522bhp; 30-12-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 31-12-2018, 02:25 PM
Rsmat
300+

Received 583 Likes on 516 Posts

Sorry to hear about the curb alloy mate..and that exhaust looks a nice piece of kit ..look forward to more progress ... all the very best for 2019 .
Old 31-12-2018, 07:15 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Cheers mat same to you mate , yep exhaust is very nice tbh but they don't make custom exhaust and they are not the cheapest. I asked if they could make me a twin exit tailpipe and they said no lol , shame really as I want a proper little sleeper lol.

cheers paul
Old 31-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Not done alot to the fiesta apart from curb one alloy as a bus nearly wiped me out but got some paint and will paint the full alloy . There are 2 different colours , 1 early and 1 later , mine the later which is also a wv colour.
Also not yet fitted the intercooler as iam waiting closer to the day collins release the cp5 kit if they ever do.
been busy buying some parts for the car , one major thing was the exhaust , ive seen a few and watched countless you tube clips and most of them sound all farty which is not what a wanted. I like the sound of the original exhaust tbh . Even thou milltek are on my door step i decide against one as i didnt like the build quality and alot of mig welded parts.
so seeing as i build the odd zetec turbo manifold etc so knows what it takes to build a quality unit i searched and searched for ages and found the enhanced performance ultimate exhaust system .

Full 3 inch system with mandrel bends , fully tig welded and back purged , full vband fitting , v band exhaust tip , brushed finished , x4 uprated exhaust bushes.
I wanted a resonated system as theres no real loss of power and its a every day car so dont want it droning .
also ordered the enhanced performance large bore decat pipe which is 3 1/2 inch to 3 inch again full mandrel bends , lambda bosses , fully tig welded and back purged . The only down side is the it does come with the support bracket or fittings for the heatsheild so i may add these to the down pipe . I will fit the exhaust but leave the downpipe to collins on mapping as the eml comes on etc.
The quality is the best ive seen without a doubt , the only problem is that they sent me a non resonated centre section , so rmailed and its coming after the 2nd of jan and he said i could keep the non res centre section for free if i do a review and send it to them as theres only one video of there system on the web. So i will do standard vs res vs non res videos .

thats all until fitting and collins get there fingers out

p.s just looked at ian howells facebook page and low snd behold hes just been building a closed deck block , custom piston , rods , liners , etc and hes also done the cylinder head so i might be spending a few more grand lol

cheers paul
The exhaust looks nice. On my fiesta I went with a single tail pipe as well.
I will be mapping mine soon😀

Mark
Old 31-12-2018, 08:36 PM
jonfoc

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Now that sounds like a better prospect than a generic map Paul. I think a map from Mr Shead would be my choice!
Happy New Year
Old 31-12-2018, 08:41 PM
jonfoc

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Are there any issues or recalls on these cars? I hear of a coolant issue?
Old 31-12-2018, 09:05 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Hi mark and Jon , what you done to yours mark and what power do you think you will get? And what's gonna be the mod list?
I want a twin tail pipe mark lol but x2 3.5 inch slash cut . Then I will keep the original single in case I fancy a change.
collins maps although they become a generic map are all custom written by them so it's probably the same as what Mark could do . They put a lot of development work in and spec there own turbo kits to work with there software etc so I will be using them as they are only in stoke.
just been waiting for months now after contacting them lol.
as for recalls yes but they are up to early 2015 but most 15 plates have been changed from factory so should be an issue. Just keep checking coolant level and a eye on the temp and you will be fine. I've ask ford about mine and it's not recalled yet but by the look of the engine bay my pipe work is different. The other major concern is the rubber hose that comes from the header tank and goes backwards under the cam cover as it rubs on the edge and will also cause the same issues as the small plastic pipes if not worse as the pipes bigger so will lose more coolant quicker. I put some large rubber cable sleeping over mine and taped it up as it has started to rub ever so slightly. The easy way to solve it is cut the edge of the cam cover off which is what I will be doing.

cheers paul
Old 31-12-2018, 09:13 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi mark and Jon , what you done to yours mark and what power do you think you will get? And what's gonna be the mod list?
I want a twin tail pipe mark lol but x2 3.5 inch slash cut . Then I will keep the original single in case I fancy a change.
collins maps although they become a generic map are all custom written by them so it's probably the same as what Mark could do . They put a lot of development work in and spec there own turbo kits to work with there software etc so I will be using them as they are only in stoke.
just been waiting for months now after contacting them lol.
as for recalls yes but they are up to early 2015 but most 15 plates have been changed from factory so should be an issue. Just keep checking coolant level and a eye on the temp and you will be fine. I've ask ford about mine and it's not recalled yet but by the look of the engine bay my pipe work is different. The other major concern is the rubber hose that comes from the header tank and goes backwards under the cam cover as it rubs on the edge and will also cause the same issues as the small plastic pipes if not worse as the pipes bigger so will lose more coolant quicker. I put some large rubber cable sleeping over mine and taped it up as it has started to rub ever so slightly. The easy way to solve it is cut the edge of the cam cover off which is what I will be doing.

cheers paul
My plan on mine is around 300hp and more for people that want it.
I went with a 2.5inch exhaust as wasn’t planning on much more and wanting it quite and the sound is perfect for me.
Mapping is with Hp tuners software Intercooler will most likely be a Airteck one turbo not sure yet. Each car will be custom tuned by myself and not planning on generic off the shelf stuff and the Hp tuners has very good logging to be able to tweak from afar.

Mark
Old 01-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Everyone says these cars are so much fun! very tempting now the power is being brought out of them, what do they put it down like though? wheelspin?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4
Everyone says these cars are so much fun! very tempting now the power is being brought out of them, what do they put it down like though? wheelspin?
It is a great little car I have a focus Mk3 st as well for developing and I much prefer the fiesta.

Mark
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebonycossie4x4

seen a few vids of ones of track they do wheelspin coming out tight corners I think most people fit Quaife diffs
Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

To be fare in the dry standard tune I think they are on the limit of wheel spin in first gear but then the car just pull in every other gear when giving it some. In the wet it's not great tbh but fitting a diff would make it better. Don't get me wrong it still handles like it's on rails but just wheel spins lol with a bit of torque steer.
i might be making some spherical bearing lower arms to help with that though.
have a look on Ian's Facebook page mark as I know your mates from along time ago and he's just had a block linered with close deck plate with custom Pistons and rods I think it around £3500 . I know you have no problems building engines etc so you can go your own way. He's also started work on the cylinder head as well he says it should see 500 bhp which is a bit to much for me as a daily.

cheers paul
Old 02-01-2019, 04:25 PM
Ebonycossie4x4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Should see 500 bhp which is a bit to much for me as a daily.
Sounds brilliant though, 500BHP in one of these would be fairly awesome id say!
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

BREAKING NEWS

the car is going in for cp5 on the 20 th September.

cp5 kit

uprated s280 turbo
boost hoses and diverted valve
bosch motorsport injectors
Collins updated actuator
cp5 remap

other works being carried out are

ferodo 2500 front pad ( supplied by me)
fitting of the exhaust system , decat pipe , Collins 3 inch gasket kit , locking down pipe bolts ( supplied by me)
eibach 25 mm lowering springs (Collins)
rear spring isolator (supplied by me)
poly bushed rear beam ( Collins)
full ford service
fixing a slight weep on the crossshaft on gearbox.

it will all be done in a day hopefully so I should have an interesting drive on the way home lol.

really looking forward to it being done as it's been a long time coming both in terms of Collins finishing the kit and because my dad got diagnosed with cancer in February 2019. We fitted a boiler in my house last crimbo and I noticed him limping a bit so told me mum to book him in at the docs as he was a plumber we thought it might be worn out joints as my mum had just had a hip operation but they found a shadow in his bone but said it was secondary cancer . Well my old man for all his bad habits loved his fags so you didn't need to be a brain surgeon to realise where the primary cancer was , yep in his lungs and its was stage 3 , you only get to stage 4 and it's over. My dad as strong as he was never moaned to anyone or wanted any pity he just put up with the pain . He stopped walking etc which I could see really affected him and gradually got worse ( in his leg) but not his lungs , but on the 7 July he passed away peacefully . He will be sadly missed and I've lost not only my dad but one of my best mates , rip old man.
So I was spending every minute I had spare with my dad that's why there has been no updates etc.
Slowly started getting back to doing the car .
jobs that have been done are , fitting of the airtec stage 3 intercooler , de honey combing the front grill so more air gets into the intercooler , fitting of the pro alloy big boost pipe kit.

just need to clean the car as is totally ditched tbh and needs a bit of tlc

updates coming soon

cheers paul
Old 03-09-2019, 06:51 AM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Paul, im very sorry to hear about your father, its always saddening to hear such news. I hope you and your family are managing to cope ok.

Good news about the car and would love to see it in person some day

I do alot of detailing work so if you ever need the car looked at for some TLC let me know, I know im a bit of a trek away though

Keep strong!

I got my zetec head going up to Ian this week hopefully for hiim to build up and work his magic on! Are you still helping him out with bits?

Quick Reply: Fiesta st3 180 300 bhp daily project