Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project WTF - Mk1 Focus RS Racecar

Search this Thread

Old 20-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Project WTF - Mk1 Focus RS Racecar

Take 2! First thread was so photo heavy a few people said they couldn't load it up! So this time around im going to have to post it over a few pages so the more comments the more i can update! (thats not click bate honest! haha)

Hey all, long time member but not a massive poster, Im not sure why i never made a thread on here before now? i had a main one on the RSOC but after falling out with an admin on there a good few years back i mainly stuck with the american focaljet forum and a local track group, both of which have dried up a little with little traffic. Facebook is normally my place to post recent work and going's on but i love reading though build threads so figured mine mite be of some use to some people, although im not sure we will see much more FRS's getting chopped up these days with the way the market it going with them. A lot of this is copy and paste job so if it looks like im talking to no one its because iv missed a question from someone out lol!Bare with me, this is nearly 10 years worth, and my English sucks...

My names Jack , some will know me , others wont , some might know my car also

Long story short , My Car = My Life , worked my ass off at 17 > 18(going on 19) to get it , nothing other than my reg plate which was my 18th birthday pressy has been given to me.

Bought it on Friday the 13th of march 2009 when i was 18 , couldn't insure it when i was 18 so had to wait 2 months until i was 19 so i could. it sitting on the drive was the biggest tease in the world!

so this is a little story about my car and its progress to date, and future plans! , enjoy!

so like i said beging of 2009 i started looking for my new car, at 18 i was going through a JDM faz with a close mate having a 800bhp skyline , i was determined to go jap and get into that scene! , looked for a EP3 and started to find a few with my budget , but one think kept stopping me , INSURANCE! , young driver insurance is nuts , but aswell as wanting a new car , i had the speed bug in me so i dint want to go for something slow and JDM , it had to have a bit of get up and go about it!

long story short it turns out just about any import car is high on insurance for that reason, its a import! , so the list was cut short to what i liked and could afford to buy and insure!

The RS was actually a laugh , i didnt think i would get insure due to the fact it was 1. a RS , 2. a Turbo! , but thanks to its CAT1 alarm , it was insurable !

took me 2 months to look for one i liked and this beauty turned up at blackburn, over my price range but justified due to the fact it only had 17k on the clock!

love at first sight! and i bought it!

nothing wrong with it btw! i was just cleaning the engine bay!

like iv said above had to wait untill may to get behind the wheel!

got to take my hat off to the previous owner , she was mint! lovely standard car and that was my plan to keep it standard! lol soon got side tracked! lol

took it along to a PH RR day at wallace where the car made a healthy looking 221bhp (213bhp standard)

then i got into the polished bliss way of life and gave it a detail!

by this point it was on about 20k , thought it would be rude not to show off my "practically" concourse car ,so i did a few car shows with it!

was also up a alford for the SIDC day just to show the car again , but i heard track was on so i went on just for fun! was a good laugh! (leaning over makes you go faster!)

a wee vid!

another show

now by now i had got a few things done to the RS's engine , decat full system , remap and a KN

Much to my surprise she made 300bhp !

back on track at another SIDC day

Then came a big deal for me ! , after i had done them little sprints if you want to call it that , i wanted to go faster , rather than sit down and think about maby going to KH or that , i decided to go to the RING! lol

i spent about £2000 just on bits for the car to make sure it made it back , a heap of little bits that were bothering me and also some coilovers as i found on track i was moving a bout to much under braking ! not what you need at high speeds at the ring!

had a ace trip and made it back in one peice which is always a bonus!

lapping in the rain!

ace photo!

little vid ! , i think this was my 6th lap, 9:45 i think was the time

, and that was it ! i was hooked on track days and speed!

so as soon as i got back , guess what! , SIDC day again! lol

followed swiftly by a KH day!

then because the car had been well behaved , and not cost me anything , i had a few coin sitting so bought a set of TD pro race 1.2's!

and now i had a spaire set of rims i bought 2 slicks and fitted them for feutre track days!

didnt have to wait long!

then got a hybrid turbo and 4-1 manifold on

glowing mani!

then i started to think more track!

365mm AP racing disks and calipers were fitted! aka fooking big stoppers!

along with a pro200 seat and SD 6 point harness!

one final clean as i knew it was going to go down hill from here!

also wheels got a make over and a full set of slicks!

slicks and ap's!, tight!

action shot!

vid

keeping the GTR behind me!

Also did KH backwards , kinda hard and i dont like it if im honest! also had a off!

opps!

vid 1 off at 2:15

vid 2 nearly at 4:25

poor pic!

and the car as it sits today!

also plan on doing Time Attack next year (just some OHW's)

Plans for the car!
Full poly bush the car w/powder coated everything w/new nuts and bolts
KW V1's or some AST or something custom
Adjustable rear camber arms
Adjustable top mounts of some sort (looking like evo mounts)
Vibra tech race mounts
3" BCS system
Front mount intercooler
Under floor swirl pot w/044 pump
Live Map by sarbe
7-point Safety Devices cage w/harness bars + cross door bars
Another pro2000 seat and harness
Rear defuser/flat floor
Flocked dash w/custom radio blank (made already)
WRC ex-Mcrae MSPORT bonnet (got)
Fiberglass rear boot
Poly carb windows
Sparco electric fire system
Electric cut off

I want 400bhp at least and similar ftlb's
-------------------

thanks for all the comments guys!

bought some more bits and bobs for the RS ,

got the bonnet sent to a mate for fixing (it came of a WRC's car so was kinda bashed up haha!)

next got a carbon radio surround for the car , the dash will be going away to get flocked some point soon and then this will go in with my custom radio blank i made , it looks shinny but its matt finish

then got my other seat and fitted that! matching pair !

next been toying with the idea for the rear diffuser , got two options top is like off a RX7 bottom is off a S2 lotus ,

got a bit carryed away in photoshop! haha

think the lotus one is what im going to do!

enjoy!

Last edited by Jackstrath; 23-08-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 20-08-2018, 08:35 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Are the photos working? They worked on the post preview but i dont know if its the rig net or not now not showing them?
Old 20-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Right That should be it!, think there was an issue with the youtube code and flickR code!

bairing collapsed , driveshaft snapped and flange chewed up ! expensive times !

Fordy parts for the RS are scary! ;
£430 drive shaft
£198 flange
£52 bearing
£12 hub nut
£3 circlip

so after this !

shes back on the road!

My collection of shafts! lol (now have spaires and theres still the 2 on the car!!)

also bought these to fit! (not looking forward to that tbh!)

and also got some vibra race mounts for the car from a good pal, pics of them on the car! these things are ****** solid! haha

Cant wait to get the dash back! but my luck it will turn up just as im away offshore next week!

iv never been so amused by one thing

i honestly <3 this dash haha

-------

got my sparco wheel and life line hub sorted ! finishes off the inside nicely!

also got a custom fuel swirl pot getting made , so ordered a heap of fittings and line and fuel filter and 044 pump

got a white line adjustable rear rool bar coming , last track day tomorrow and the poly bush kit is getting fitted next week! not looking forward to stripping it all down tbh! haha rusty !

-------------

first time the focus didnt make it back up the road water pipe blew got that fixed ,and the water fooked my 3 week old alternator

also wishing i never started doing this on my drive haha

the rear is finally apart and iv sent it off for powder coating and got all new nuts and bolts from CarPartsExpress and finaly going to fit my poly bush kit!
----------

well thats the worse job done imo! full car strip down on the underside , everything off and got blasted and then sent to the powder coaters and painted in subsea black paint , fingers crossed that should be it done for life haha

fully powerflex bushs and all new nuts and bolts from ford and car parts express (a scary price tbh! the mark up on these must be crazy! some of the bolts are £15 each!)

but its done ! 6 days turn around which is not bad imo!

Need to do a shout out to my best mate kev from leathen motors ! for only being 22 the boys skill level of work is second to non! also nexis for getting the coating done in double quick time!

shiny!!

--------

ok so for the new engine turbo set up , i needed shot of my scorpion 2.5" system , 3" system was made to order , 4 1/2 weeks later it turns up!

0.5" makes all the difference !

much smoother design

excuse the underside , its in for mot wed , getting waxoiled then!

also fitted my race rear anti roll bar , it took a month to come from auz!

and another power add'er!

thanks!

------------

right another update! . Was late home from my last trip so iv only had 10 days to do things and get stuff sorted!

first things first it to say thanks to a mate , scotty , aka Kerr Sport

managed to get my cage fitted on his tot while i was offshore

i love it ! by far the best looking bolt in cage imo!

also got the battery tray fitted , but haven't ran the cable yet (red wire under the passenger seat) as im indecisive where to drill the bulk head

also did order a universal weld in bar kit for the seats , turns out the focus is too fat and iv had to order more bar so i can make my own kit up ! total pain tbh! as im away offshore soon and its not turned up yet!!

bought this gear stick tower , it shifts the hole mech about 7" up , so the gear stick is closer but doesn't increase the throw , believe it or not its a gen ford motorsport part lol

down side! , i think i might have to hack my dash to bits to get it to fit! ;(

also bought this engine crank breather ! standard one cant cope with 350+

since the air bags are gone for good i thought id chop on and remove all the extra sensors and loom , only did the rear half of the car , still got the front loom to chop up but i think il leave that untill the engines out!

said sensors burred into the loam!

wires!

MORE wires ! haha

also got the loom stripped and then wrapped the loom in proper loom tape (u can see it in the photos above )

also my waste gate turned up tial mvr 44mm , rather large now i hold in it my hand :/ hope it fits in the bay!

and just a semi arty shot of the motor lurking!

so iv got the following waiting on turning up but i can bet they will turn up once im away! :

Swirl pot (seriously been taking its time)
Sachs 4 paddle clutch
Custom 4-1 manifold
GTX3071r

custom sized swirl pot from race-tech

and GTX3071r suppled by sarbe !

Old 20-08-2018, 09:30 PM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Looks lovely... welcome
Old 20-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Thanks! this is back in 2010-11 currently ! Theirs so much to post and its changed so much in the last 2 years!
Old 21-08-2018, 07:05 AM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

The thread is working!!!Good to chat last night mate. Glad your posting on here. It’ll give me chance to catch up on your build from the start. I’ll have a word with muz today for you.
Old 21-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by jonfoc
The thread is working!!!Good to chat last night mate. Glad your posting on here. It’ll give me chance to catch up on your build from the start. I’ll have a word with muz today for you.
haha yeh just trying not to overload the first page ! its a good read! i laugh at myself how much and quick my goals changed with the car! yes i got a text off muz and sent him one back! hopefully get something sorted
Old 21-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Well another part of the puzzle arrived 4-1 manifold beefy!

And the waste-gate take off not meany rs's with this I don't think

so started laying out the fuel pump/external fuel set up , this consists of a bosch 044 pump , sytech filter and checkvalve and a custom racetech swirl pot so it all sits flush with in the wheel well so i can then fire wall it for MSA regs

but its 1oC out side and blowing a wind so i thought f-that and came back inside and just built up the turbo manifold just for something to do lol

[

some more automotive p0rn!

these honestly look to good to put in my cars dirty engine bay haha

ID1000's should fuel the beast just fine! , and a boost i never got hammered by import tax ! haha

Next up sachs 4 paddle clutch

porsche 996 GT3 clutch 4 paddle (clearly) going to be a complicated woman in traffic but should do the job nicely when out on track , im quite on/off with my clutch anyway! im sure the box will love this!

Big thanks to Ben at AMD for sorting this out for me

minor update , plumbing now done . just got to wire it all up and take the feeds from the fuel tank ect ect

another bit of the puzzle thanks to demon performance centre for this one

also finally got the bonnet home! lol but think il be defo waiting till the better weather before its going on

Another bit came today , excited about this one as iv heard nothing but awesome things and iv drove a few rally cars and they all have locking diffs and i love the way they drive so this should suit me down to the bone

Kazz Adjustable 1.5 Way diff

Thanks to paul @ co-ordsport for this !

another new bit , AEM water meth injection kit , bought this purely to try and keep the EGT's down lower and in turn increase reliability , well thats what i told my self when i bought it anyway lol , going to have it set up so it only comes on on high boost as fingers crossed the car shouldnt need it on low boost !

also going to take the dash back out and remove the heater matrix and A/C exchanger and some more loom stripping of anything thats not needed , and hopefully get a hole drilled to run my battery cable through the fire wall and then plumb in a small race/rally fan so i can still see where im going lol

well since im now saving for the engine im officially skint haha but iv been buying little bits and bobs and now started on the "free" mods lol

weight , this is a big thing , and less weight means faster every where!

so since im 99% sure i cant fit the gear stick tower with the heater matrix in the car , im binning it all and got a little light weight heater that should help "warm" the car or demist the window , il be fitting a heated front screen as well

and staying in theam , did this today

there is a small tare on the pass side wheel tub, so il get that welded up ( i had something heavy in the boot years ago and it bashed the side but only dented the tub , was just being noise and had a look and turns out its ripped the metal so will get that stitched back up) also found 4 half rust holes , not sure whats on the under side but there is 4 holes that are all the same , you can see it in the photo as like grey marks , will get the grinder out and weld them up

so after half a day with the heat gun i had removed a grand total off...... 2kg :/ makes me wonder if there's much point in doing the front lol

Got the dash out , then in , then out , then in (this went on for some time , and i had to remove the front cage to get it out )

but with a bit of trimming it fits!

iv had to loose the bottom part of the heater (did the foot side of things)

but i get to keep the standard heater witch although will weigh a ton , allows me to keep the car warm or cool

while i had the dash out i ran the power cable for my battery in the boot, now i could of ran the cable through the door gromet , but due to me wanting to do motorsport with the car , if... any thing ever got bashed (door/wing) theres a high chance it would cut my battery cable and thats the last thing i want so i drilled a hole in the fire wall and chucked the cable through it (wrapped in some tape to hopefully stop it rubbing though)

so this then allowed me to fit my battery in the boot!

thanks to G at carpartsexpress for the crimps and cable

then just because i had it lying about i fitted my 2nd LED light strip wired off the boot switch , just makes seeing things in the boot a bit easier

yes theres still masking tape on the cage as im not finished spraying in the boot yet

Well thats me bit the bullet so to say! , just placed my order for a fully custom zetec engine rated to 500bhp+ , should be a monster of a engine!

anyway ordered some more parts , got to go down to dundee UPS as the turnips dont have a Aberdeen base.... seriously :/

some more parts that didnt come via UP****e

Monster KN!!!!4" flange , then 9" tall and tappered from 6" bottom to 4 5/8's" at the top!! you can seriously probably fit two KN Gen2's for the RS inside this thing! lol

The KN with the morrette pod , should do the job nicely of getting the cold air right where i need it !

also wrapped my manifold in that DEI titanium stuff , took ages and used about 65 foot of the 1" wrap!!! , still need to nip the cable ties and then chop the ends of them but it does look sweet as!

Well some will know the body work is the poor part on my car , it really does need a full respray , but the body work and new wheels is 2014's project , so tomororo im going to machine polish the car up so i can get some decent pics , untill then heres the bonnet!

im not going to lie , the catchs stick out (as it just them being there and not actually sticking proud ect more than they actually do) , but it now means on track i can open the bonnet up with out shutting of the engine if something happens

failing that imo i think they are in the best place for the catchs ,( seen some others and they didnt look right imo)

the joys!

Any way , gave the car a quick clean , but had the camera on ISO1600 (for those that dont know cameras this basically is a setting that you can use in low lighting that makes the pictures come out brighter (ideal if your shooting rally cars in a dark part of a forest) but the higher ISO you have the more "noise" (pixelated look) you get on your photos , so after 200 photos i realised i had the camera on this setting :/ (since my car wasn't moving it wasn't needed and it effects the picture quality) so i went home and these were the only 5 i was sorta happy with

On another note , engine is now 3 weeks away ! but while i was having a look though my photos of various engine bays i realised i couldn't use the stock FPR with the new intakes fuel rail , so another £200 spent that i hadn't planned for for a new regulator and fittings !

now other than the FMIC and gear box bits i think i basically have it all!

ta guys!

well i took some finally shots of the car , just in case it doesn't go back together when i take it apart! lol

only other progress is that i forgot i needed a FPR , so bought one of them

did a qick bolt up to just have a look for any issues

And there was! , basicly the positioning of the wastegate meant that the screamer pipe hit the decat , not ideal , but then you were limited by how far you could turn it due to the fittings on it which left me with this prob!

resolved !

also plumbed in the AEM water/meth kit and did a test with it and it all works fine

Also ordered a 1 off intercooler from SpecR , its going to be the 2nd one fitted to a mk1 focus , but iv been trying for ages to get this intercooler made up (not with specR) but its the garret core and imo its the best out there , so it should be here in about 2 weeks time

and got all new syncros and bearings for the gearbox and going to get it freshend up when the engine comes out !
Sadly dont have any photos , will be down tomorrow again so will get some more then

Friday about 2:30pm , got the car down into the shed and got it up onto axel stands and removed the front of the car , 8pm engine and box were out the car , got home about 10pm

Saturday , got up at 9am had to go to a parts place to get a new tensioner and some break pipes as some were corroded so thought it would be easier and neater to fit new ones when the engine is out , got down to the shed about 11am , built up the new engine fitting the new intake , exhaust manifold and external oil pump set up and new flywheel and clutch , bolted the box onto the new engine and had it back in the car by 6pm , then just plumbed in the new vacuum pipes and other bits and bobs and called it quits at 10pm as it was my birthday!

Sunday , got down made up the fuel lines and system in the engine bay , set the oil pump pressure and then fired the engine up at 10am! , it lives! , spent the rest of the day putting on the turbo/wastegate finished at 6pm

Found a few issues on the car, needs a new drive shaft bearing , blead the breaks , a CV boot is got a pin hole in it , so im ordering all that and hopefully that should be all done tomorrow and then i can fill the box with oil ,

still waiting on my inter-cooler , should of been here Thursday past , hoping to get it on Wednesday so i can then put the car back together and fire her up and let here build up water pressure so i can check for leaks and then its just a case of getting it down to sarbe for a custom decat and screamer pipe and hopefully a awesome map and some nice figures!

Well got down tonight swapped the bearing over on the half shaft , got a CV boot from fords, wrong oane so took apart my spare shaft and swapped boots , bled the clutch , bled the breaks

so this was friday just before i took it out

now for this oil pump , this is a front on look of it so you can see how much lower the pump sits

oil pump 2 , shows how close it is to the shaft

nearly there! just this FMIC to get and fire it on and its going down the road this weekend to sabre !

hopefully get this intercoler and get its front back on and then i can sort the idel out and then il be happy! untill then notthing much i can do now!

quick photo of it down on the ground and back to gether (well didnt put the lights back on as i was 99% sure the car wasnt going to go on the back of the pick up !

out in the sun!

and i was right ! :rlmao: so bumper back off

loaded onto the work horse!

and a 3am shot out side my mates as we set off sunday

so long story shot , me and my mate set off at 3am (had to go into shell aberdeen to get fuel so even when we did set off we had to go 10 miles in the wrong way!)

so 525 miles we set off on our way to Spec R alloy , this is due to me having a area six intake and the pipe had to be made up on the car.
Was about as exciting drive as to be expected in a 90bhp t350 transit van tbh! lovely day all the way down the road was like 15oC (to us scots thats like summer and we were sweating haha)

was an alright drive down tbh , motorways are full of idiots (nearest motorway to me is 70 odd miles away and even then its only 2 lanes of traffic) got down at just before 12 , had a chat with pete and unloaded the car and turned around and came back home

16 hours of driving , 1 stop on the way down , 2 on the way back and im now carless! but imo if you want the best (sarbe's maps and spec R's coolers) you have to travel , and i travelled 525miles so no one (with the exception of a few Inverness boys) has an excuse that they are to far away now :stir:

plan is once pete has the intercooler fitting and catch tank he is then going to take it to the boys at sarbe and they are going to build a 3" exhaust and screamer pipe for the waste gate and then fit my injectors , bigger map sensor and a hole load of my little bits and bobs (as there will be a few no doubt!) and get there mapping skills out and see what the car can do

Last edited by Jackstrath; 21-08-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 22-08-2018, 06:24 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Nice motor mate they take you on some mad missions these motors some driving just back from thurso caithness to Nottingham lol what have they done to my favourite road the a9 cameras everywhere drove it many times in the rs over the years the good bit from Inverness up is at least cam free I have family in inverurie also great roads good look with the box mate

Last edited by smiley; 22-08-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 22-08-2018, 08:06 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

Wow. You must of spent a fortune on it.

that's gonna have some serious power when done.
Old 22-08-2018, 10:05 AM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn_

its done Glenn and does have good power. He’s going through boxes like a champ. He’s racing in Scotland and doing very well
Old 23-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by smiley
Nice motor mate they take you on some mad missions these motors some driving just back from thurso caithness to Nottingham lol what have they done to my favourite road the a9 cameras everywhere drove it many times in the rs over the years the good bit from Inverness up is at least cam free I have family in inverurie also great roads good look with the box mate
haha yeh they sure do!, aww lets not talk about the A9! the A90 is now like it as well with cameras everywhere! Oh im not overly far from inverurie, its out the north west of aberdeen and im just south and no more!

Cheers hopefully find out a bit more about it and see it i can get a sequential box yet!
Old 23-08-2018, 12:23 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Glenn_

Oh the money is silly! i stopped counting years ago! seems to work out better haha!

Like john says its done ! im just trying to pan out and pick whats worth posting to update this thread with! i documented it quite well but not everyone's computer and iphones/ipads like 300 odd photos to load up one page! haha!
Old 23-08-2018, 12:33 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Late 2013

Entered a local hillclimb

For those that have never been , its basically a point to point , lasting from anything from 25 seconds up to 90 ish (in the UK anyway) normally on a tight , twisting ,hairpin , deceiving bended route going up down and round and round! perfect to take a 500bhp fwd car geared to 170mph round !lol

I was never going to win my class (although there was only 2 off us in it lol) because the guy i was up against was a vetrain of the track , and him and his car has 10yrs+ of experience on me! and then there was the slight issue that his car was a a smudge over a ton in weight , 3/4 made of carbon fiber , and 800bhp+ in the engine department , oh and its twin charged so it pretty much always has that 800bhp on tap ! lol any way enough with excuses, i was there to have fun and test out the car!

all prepered! looks semi respectable haha

so day 1 was just to go out and see what was what! find my braking points and try a few routes and see what worked and what didnt! (as its so short you have to be fast everywhere , 1 slip up and your miles off the pace!)

so started the day with a 36.78odd , not to bad , but tons of room !

(p1 - fastest time of the weekend - 32.72)

Last edited by Jackstrath; 23-08-2018 at 12:42 AM.
Old 23-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

But then it went horrible wrong!

did a quick burn out , lined the car up , built the revs , took up the transmission slack , focused (no punt) did my own count down , lifted the clutch , bang!

now at the time i had no idea what it was , but i knew it was mechanical , hopping it wasn't the gearbox/diff as these had just went back into the car 2 days earlier.

So i got the car back to the loading zone and loaded it up my self , then decided to see what went wrong , seen it was the shaft , had spares at home but couldn't be hooped dropping oil ect to change it , then i remembered the drivers side has a half shaft so no oil would be lost! boost!! and with the encouragement from a few competitors i decided to phone dad and tell him to bring the shaft from my shed! lol he was 20 miles from home (only 30 to the place) so didnt take it lightly but i think the motor-sport side of him came into play and he went back and got it for me!

got the car back off the trailer and striped the lot down and had the old shaft out in 5 mins ! dad turned up and fired the new one in and it was good to go!

Last edited by Jackstrath; 23-08-2018 at 12:41 AM.
Old 23-08-2018, 12:41 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

This shows how much a animal the car can be! keeping me on my toes and taken me for a ride! haha

(r2)
Old 23-08-2018, 12:58 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Suspension!

I had emailed KW last year about this and had to sit down after finding out the price! haha , originally wanted a V3 clubsport set up but they didnt and still dont do one for the RS , so the tech started asking me plans with the car ect ect told him my ideas and he basicly said you need 2 way race set up due to running slicks

thought fair enough and put it to the side as i still had to build the engine at this point!

fast forward a year and i have finally got some!

opens the box up and then i see a issue with the rear

turns out there was a rear cup adaptor missing , quick phone to KW and i had the following parts send over to me!

now to me , these honestly look like they were machined just for me , they have jaw marks on the other side and the inside hasnt been re anodised , im about 90% sure this is the only KW 2 way race kit fitted to the RS and thats why there was parts missing

and fitted the spring perfectly !

Next up chunky dampers!

All Fitted up

so got some coil over socks as its disappointing to see the bodys arnt stainless steel guess big budget race teams dont need to worry about that ! , car will rairly be out in the wet and defo wont be on the road in the wet! , so a cover of wax and the coil over sock should hopefully stop the **** getting on them!

now just after some camber and toe arms for the rear and maby the whiteline caster bush and then hopefully get the car set up
Old 23-08-2018, 01:01 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Ever since the coil overs have went on the car is super highly unstable at high speed , highlighting the fact its maybe time for a full corner-weight and geo set up!

before that could happen got some camber and toe arms ordered

not the cheapest by far ! but they are pillow bearing (rose jointed) and are beefy items which is exactly what i wanted and will allow the back end to get set up just the way i want it !

Old 29-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Okay... no posts so il just fire away and bring it up to the current day in fairly big jumps

Cryogenically treated Quaife straght cut dog box and selectors complete with my haines motorsport modified gear selector

Old 29-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Well update time!

What a week ! got home late Wednesday , and got straight to it , composit rear boot,doors,wrc bonnet fited , front windows mocked , and im sure i did more but lack of sleep over the weekend is catching up with me! lol

all set

all stripped down

building it back up

WRC door cards

Old 29-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Stack Dash

Old 29-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

On track photos 2014 iirc

Old 29-08-2018, 08:49 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Most will hate this but please remember its a track car , and with having it all stripped out and the fibreglass boot on , the rear end is very light so some weight was needed to keep the rear tyres on the ground! and rather than add weights , add weight in the form of down force , and that way you have the best of both worlds light weight but also down force when needed

Old 29-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Late 2014 track attack

Old 29-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Car and Driver heat manegement

mani coated

turbo coated

ofcorse i forgot to drill and tap the hole for the EGT sensor before i sent it away ! it didnt crack when drilling so i hope its alright!

carbon vent

Old 29-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

2015 Track look, 2015 year pass's fast due to outside issues so not much happened only used the car once

Old 29-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

more coating

and looks even better in the bay!

engine all in its cramped bay!

so the car was then loaded up to go to the dyno cell to run the new engine in !

and we started running in the new engine, now it hadnt been remapped so i wasnt sure if it would be ok , so det cans were used and luckly aswell as it reved past 5k on the 3/4 trottle pulls it started to get a little bit of det

so we did another 10 mins of part throttle pulls letting the engine do all the braking ect , but sadly it needs remapped

now this is a turning point for me , as the car is still using the factory ECU , this was all good but sadly now its not up to the job , main things that annoy me is it doesnt have knock control and it also doesnt let my car rev past 7k (car really was built to rev to 8k) , so iv deceded to go stand alone mani , going to go for the syvecs S6 , seams a good ECU for resonable money , lots of fail safe features ect which is what the car needs! low oil pressure the ECU shuts down the engine , ect so really handy for me just to focus on driving and let the ECU look after the engine !
Old 29-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

2017 - Getting there haha!

Hope everyone had a good one!

Progress! , some of it anyway ! and if whats not classed as progress theres some nice photos instead!

i had drilled a hole in the tank when i was removing old brackets , so new tank in no more smell! lol

Syvecs ECU bought

This should hopefully keep my engine from eatting its self !

Now this sadly means my fancy dash has to go

Now it didnt have to go , but it made very little sence to keep it , this dash gets its readings from aux sensors iv installed , these are water and oil temp , and oil and fuel pressure , this is all things the new ECU can monitor , but you sadly cant share sensors , so id have to double up on them and that just doesnt make sence weight wise , and my new ECU can monitor them in the background and flag a issue up to me on my new dash should there be a issue!

so iv just had to make a new loom for all them sensors and also added knock into it as well , took me ages! lol

another issue that rose its head is that the new ECU cant run the standard ford coil pack with out the need for an ignition moduel , i decided not to go down that route and instead go for a COP set up!
Old 29-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

out with the carboard and after a visit to the local water jet man

Old 29-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

fat archs, give me some room to run 265's up there!

should look the part once painted !
Old 29-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

plex dash in, forgive the wires i was still wireing in the syvecs
Old 29-08-2018, 09:01 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

First things first the forge 007p with the new intake hose , i was going to have to ether put a recirc port back into the filter or change to a BOV , so iv always liked the ricer/chav sound of the greedy BOV's form the fast and furios , its not for everyone , but i like it! sadly they dont make the orginial valve anymore, so next best thing was the tial Q BOV was bought !

so new dump valve in purple !

(bit upset as i wanted the wastegate in this purple but the company f88ked up orginaly)

so heres where the old dump valve location

heres where the new valve is going

and got a local fabrication company to weld it on for me! and after a splash of paint

Old 29-08-2018, 09:03 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

other more exciting news is the front end turned up from the mold guys!

its a wrc mk1 bumper modded to fit there wide wings. its so diffrent from the orginal front that it needs a bit of work to fit !

so this is said bumper and the splitter is from a rs200 hillclimb car

so there is big end plates to go on and the hole thing to get trimmed to meet the regs for the racing i do.

so got to work ripping the front off the focus and with a pal we started to make up the new intercooler locaton and front crash bar.

Old 29-08-2018, 09:06 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Right update time!

next on the hit list was the slam pannel ! , the oil cooler was going to have to move location so i decided on putting it up next to my power steering cooler , so both get air from the upper grill
now im no fabricator or welder , my pal has a welder so we both started to mock up what was needed and with no pipe bender or any experaiance with doing this before we started to fab it up bit by bit!
its not perfect asteticaly , but its more than fit for purpos and its solid!

opens up so much more space to run things with out them getting to close to the manifold/turbo ect !
so once i fitted up my smalled oil cooler and remade the lines for that i went about re asembling the front!
The front bumper is on quick releases for getting it on and off the trailer with ease!
it really is something else! so wide up front! and the 255's look almost lost!

Old 29-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Right, little update!

So on the Focus RS facebook page there had been some scary photos posted of the tin worm that plagues all fords lol, i remember giving mine a quick once over with stone chip about 4/5 years ago and it was just a little bit surface rust and nothing more. But with these new photos coming to light i thought i better have a look about, i knew the front was solid as i had been chopping and welding up there to let the 255's move about lol! So was really only the rear half of the car i was going to have a look at, and long behold i sadly found what i was looking for!

What was once a pin to hold the rear splash guards in place fell off in my hand and a little 1/2" hole appeared, dug a little deeper and it was clear ford had cut corners not fully welding up theses seams and just using seam seal lol! any way all cut out (on both rear tubs) and replaced with fresh metal!

As you can see rear tubs arnt looking the best, this was cleaned up and stone chipped sprayed about 4 years ago when i removed the rear splash guards. I blame the road miles i do in the car with all the crap thats on the roads causing this!
Old 29-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

So a chat to jon and he put me in the direction of Bilt Hambers chemicals, placed an order and this trio showed up!

Nasty stuff with crap everywhere! i was covered!

2 coats of the zinc spray and then applyed new seam sealer.
[
Then the 2 pac top coat applyed
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4655/38719424965_5222d7b348_b.jpg

I do plan to strip the car down end of the year and do the underside in the same coating as im fairly impressed with it.
You can colour top coat it and it can be lacquered. I cant makeup my mind if im going to re apply stone chip or GRAVITEX just to give it extra protection?

While i was in about with the buff i managed to clip one of the brake lines, so i put an order in to HEL brake lines monday morning and Tuesday they arrived in the post, the look to have changed the lengths ever so slightly made them smaller which is fine as they now fit alot neater!

Still have the other side to do but rain and dampness is stopping me from doing that just now. the 2 pac paint really needs 10oC to dry in about 7 hours but mine is still a bit soft 24 hours in (but only at 6oC so garage heaters are on and at 14oC - should see how fast my electric meter is spinning haha!)

and in other news , 4 months of trying to order one from DR Gas, my side exit pipe finaly showed up. Had to buy it via classic industries in the end, and if im honest both companys get a mark down imo. DR Gas replyed to 1 email , then never heard from them again, they also dont answer there phone or get back to you... (not that i was expecting a phone call back to the uk) then classic industries have the weirdest order system in the world, item was in stock , then not, then took my money to refund it with no reason, 2 day turn arounds for the email replys, item then on back order with no ETA, then one day i notice my money drops in my account, and find out after a phone call that the item is in stock again and on its way to me lol, worked out at like $280 USD for a tail pipe lol what ever!

Have it now and will get it chopped up and fitted soon
[
Thats all for now!

Rear KW 2-Way Comps, always surprised me that the bodys were just zinc plated, but im glad i put the socks on them! has defo saved them for looking alot worse than they could of been. Quick wire brush, clean out the dust seal area of all its crap, and then a spray with moly film. Wrapped back up and ready to install when the arch has dried fully!

Old 29-08-2018, 09:13 PM
evoboy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Love this thread!!
Old 29-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by evoboy
Love this thread!!
thanks mate
Old 29-08-2018, 10:02 PM
massivewangers
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 186 Likes on 146 Posts

This car looks nuts, love it. Nice to see a MK1 RS really being used properly.

Always wanted one of those gear lever towers but was never brave enough to order one, as wasn't sure it would work in my Escort. Made my own in the end. Yours looks a lot taller than mine though.
Old 29-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by massivewangers
This car looks nuts, love it. Nice to see a MK1 RS really being used properly.

Always wanted one of those gear lever towers but was never brave enough to order one, as wasn't sure it would work in my Escort. Made my own in the end. Yours looks a lot taller than mine though.
thanks ,

yeh this tower is from the focus rally cup cars so probably wouldn’t of worked in your escort !

it is pretty tall tho! Had to notch the dashboard to get it to fit!

Quick Reply: Project WTF - Mk1 Focus RS Racecar