Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Project WTF - Mk1 Focus RS Racecar

Search this Thread

Old 31-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Woe this has come on leaps and bounds since the last time we spoke Jack !!

Ok tip when making a plug the first procedure you had correct with the foam and filler ect but used a primer called Re face to paint it with it sands lovely and you can polish it to get a scratch free and blemish free surface and the bonus ball is its 2k so with 5 good waxes it wont stick believe me .. hope that helps for future projects chap
Old 31-01-2019, 01:26 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Oh and another tip lol way after the event where you split the mold I would of put a joggle there using sheet wax so box would be easy to join once in production and used a plastic tube in the side of the mold center of the split so the filter would fix to it and the hose to the intake . . Sorry its a bit late on the advice
Old 31-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah Jay! Hows things! I did try email you some photos of the car but i dont think it worked! so glad to see you have seen the car as it sits now!

Yes its changes every 6 months! im still deciding if i "need" the rear archs and 9j wheels on the rear to finish it off ! haha
Thanks for the tips! Im not planning on doing much more now tbh! I might try redo this airbox with the tips you have said! but its the mess body work stuff makes in the garage that upsets my ocd! spend about a week cleaning after every time i sanded it haha!
Old 31-01-2019, 07:45 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Nice work mate, respect the learn as you go, what are the dates for Caldwell? Went last year great day out, mates racing in his r32
Old 01-02-2019, 03:15 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Thanks! its certainly a big learning experience!

Cadwell is a bank holiday - 6th of May - Monday, Will be the first time doing the track and im entering the Time Attack RWYB so i dont have to shell out for a set of control tyres for just 1 round, sadly due to work and lack of funds as well im not able to complete a few rounds or i would of bought a set of tyres !
Old 01-02-2019, 05:42 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh mate
Old 20-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Well another 2 weeks at home has flown by! and tbh, i thought id have more to update!
I have mainly been spending time cleaning the bmw, getting it tidy'd up for selling so thats swallowed most of my time!

Have been doing bits and bobs on the focus, first was to get the injectors cleaned, no issues just i had them out and thought it was worth while doing! Ł90 later all cleaned and tip top!

Installed the intake manifold and new throttle body, also gave the intake a little polish up as it was looking kinda grim!

wired up the pedal and tb and gave caibrating it a shot in syvecs, iv got them talking to the ecu but i cant get it to work, its over my head so il be getting matty at MB to have a look for me!
Also Tidyed up the wiering in the engine bay, it looks slighty better but i really want to do the whole lot again !

But i cant do that as im currnetly waiting on my new rad coming, standard one wasnt any issues but it was 15 years old so prob only a matter of time before it went pop!

current engine bay photo!

So with the lack off updates yesterday afternoon i decided to see if the mould was going to work or not for the airbox!

Iv came to the conclusion that iv made the mold in such a way that it locks, its a bit of a bummer but as i knew thats what was happning i went thin on the layers, 2 CF for the top half and 2 Fiberglass for the bottom half (really didnt think the bottom half was going to release so didnt see the point in wasting carbon here)

Didnt take any photos of it in the mould but it did lock in as i thought it would! royal pain to come out but i got both bits out and trimmed up

Im happy enought with the results, needs some final trimming and some fit and finish (some dry patches , think i really need a pump tbh) But its a airbox, should protect the filter from heat soak. I will probably give it a go end of summer again with lessons learnt and see if i can improve!

PS - thats my mock filter before anyone gets upset lol
Old 20-02-2019, 12:05 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Great work there mate. You still coming down in May?
What is replacing the BM?
Old 20-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Thanks jon,

Lessons learnt thats forsure, its not overly hard stuff to work with tbh, just takes time, and im impatient....

Yeh still plan to come down in may, im a weee bit behind my timing, but i dont see much issues as long as this DBW set up works there wont be anything stoping me!
Another bmw , F31 340i, fancy going back to petrol
Old 20-02-2019, 12:55 PM
jonfoc

Yesssss to the big petrol engine!
Old 21-03-2019, 01:52 AM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

So, as im sure everyone knows this car has been around a good while now, it actually just passed 10 years in my ownership back on the 13th of march there. Alot has changed since then haha!

but 1 thing that hadnt changed was the coolant rad, belive it or not it was still leak tight and doing its job! I think it and the starter motor are the only 2 things i havnt replaced in the engine bay haha!

So for the cars 10 year in my ownership birthday i treated it to a new custom made rad, specs are nearly physically the same size bar its a bit thicker, up from 25mm to 40mm, nothing huge but then i hadnt been suffering coolant issues as of yet so with space at a premium it made sence to keep it sensible. still = about 50% larger by volume, and a propper motorsport core so it should out perform the standard rad.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/16597869@N03/, on Flickr

I have some ducting to do to both intercooler and rad to try help push the air though both the rad's.
I was chasing my tail for a few days, changing over from a blow to a suck Spal fan now, i must of shorted something out as i couldnt get the fan to work, good few hours later and working logically through it all and i had it up and running again but it was a bit of a head fry!

Hopefully get the DBW mapped in next time home and might mange to make cadwell park yet for time attack! although as per im fast running out of time!
Old 21-03-2019, 06:25 AM
jonfoc

Quality looking rad there mate. Muz looks to have come up trumps again
The following users liked this post:
Jackstrath (28-04-2019)
Old 28-04-2019, 11:59 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Right update!

Been trying my hardest to get the car up to speed and ready for this Cadwell Time attack date that i had planned in May!

101 things to do and what feels like only a few days to get them done!

First things first was the DBW set up, i had attempted to map it in but i couldnt for the life of me get it working. I was a bitty annoyed but its not a simple process, but the fact that i was running out of days and i still didnt know if my wiering and componants were working was stressing me out!
I got alot of other jobs finished off, the dash put in place for example, wired all the digi gauges back up ect ect.
One night with matty at MB he spent about a hour fiddling through more settings than i remember changing on the syvecs and boom! I had a working throttle! Massive pressure release! with that sorted it was back offshore for another trip and another 2 weeks where i couldnt touch the car!

But got home this month and got the car out to the rolling road in the hunt for some low down torque!

Good few hours later i had picked up 30ftlbs down low, not a massive amount but hopefully enough to help me get going just a bit sharper! The new throttle body (13mm bigger) has certianlly helped the engine, im not going to lie i didnt really expect it to make much odds but it clearly has!

One thing that was noted (the syvecs doing its job here!) was the fuel pressure target was just ever so slightly under tolarance, nothing massive or dangerous but enough for the syvecs to flag it, matty changed the tolarances ever so slightly and it was never a issue again but it made me raise an eyebrow and then i remembered i hadnt fitted the new 2nd fuel filter

P'ed off tbh as i had just got my injectors cleaned, bit backwards changing the filter after running the cleaned injectors on the old filter!

New one installed, tables adjusted back... lession learned!

After the dyno day i did a full nut and bolt check on the car, and noticed a bit of CV grease on the subframe.... boot looked ok, so shaft removed for a closer look, no pin holes but it does look like its been leaking out of the CV boot between the two faces!

Cleaned up, re packed and reinstalled!

That was pretty much my 2 weeks at home up and i had now started to repack for going away racing (entry was officially in) i get home only a few days before i leave to drive down south so had to look out all my gear for packing right into the hire van!

I actually went away with work again and got home for a few days between trips, took this time to make up a bit of an air dam, last years racing seen some very high intakes and im 99% sure it was because the air was going over the intercooler and not thought it! so just a quick half hour in the garrage i had this knocked up, not pretty, and i still want to get the ducts welded onto the intercooler but this will hopefully force a bit more air thought the intercooler! (iv ordered a trim edge to close up the gap)

So with that done thats us up todate currently!

If your near cadwell park and have no plans for monday the 6th of may, id say come down and have a watch! il be in the focus pretending i know what im doing! and i dont bite

Thanks!
Old 29-04-2019, 01:30 PM
jonfoc

I’ll see you there mate
Old 29-04-2019, 09:09 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Aye finally be good for a catch up jon! your cameras banned from taking and photos tho hahaha
Old 30-04-2019, 05:57 AM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

See you thier mate lol Jon could've just met thier didn't realise you were going my mates running his skyline, good to meet you at the weekend
Old 30-04-2019, 07:45 AM
jonfoc

Originally Posted by Jackstrath
Aye finally be good for a catch up jon! your cameras banned from taking and photos tho hahaha
Photographic memory me Jack!

Originally Posted by smiley
See you thier mate lol Jon could've just met thier didn't realise you were going my mates running his skyline, good to meet you at the weekend
no dramas mate. I’ll see you there.
Old 30-04-2019, 08:07 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Yeh be good to put some names to some faces thats forsure! hope my2weather is wrong and the drizzle stays away!
Old 20-05-2020, 02:10 PM
jonny s2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome build