Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Fiesta Mk6 1800 Zetec conversion. (mk1 focus)

Old 27-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

you can buy more parts, but you can't buy more time
Old 27-09-2017, 06:00 PM
big_wasa
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

You can piggy back the focus ecu just the same as any other aftermarket ecu, you just can't tune it as easy.

It's not just a case of sticking the full focus loom in as the systems "could" talk to each other.
Abs being the first to come to mind.

How many pins did the Fiesta ecu have ?

Last edited by big_wasa; 27-09-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 27-09-2017, 06:17 PM
Juicy
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big_wasa
You can piggy back the focus ecu just the same as any other aftermarket ecu, you just can't tune it as easy.

It's not just a case of sticking the full focus loom in as the systems "could" talk to each other.
Abs being the first to come to mind.

How many pins did the Fiesta ecu have ?
why not?
abs won't he an issue,
Fiesta sensors twisted onto focus abs wires.
drive shafts are same so even 1 rotation is the same.
​​​​​​EDIT: Wast ment to sound bitchy, genuinely want to talk it out for when I get round to this conversion

Last edited by Juicy; 27-09-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 30-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Juicy
Virgin

Any updates on this
Old 16-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Jobe

Default Update

Hi guys.
ive been away for a while. Sorry i havent updated for a bit.
i have been a monumental numpty. Blindly chopping up my looms was a catastophic mistake.
Gonna have to source more looms now. Such a prat. Oh well, it is what it is.
To be honest i feel id be better off hiring someone who knows how to combine both looms and piggyback the ecus. Im totally lost on this. Once the wiring is out of the way and the car fires up off the key, ill be plain sailing the rest of the way. I just desperately need some help with the electrics
Old 16-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Hywel Jones
Virgin

Hey all, I'm going to be undertaking this project soon and all this information has been so useful for me, just wondering JOBE exactly what alterations did you make to the top engine mount? And if you could let me know when you find a solution to the wiring problem that would be a massive help also!
thanks! Hywel
Old 16-10-2017, 09:18 PM
Jobe

Default Hywel

Hey mate. The top engine mount is a combination of fiesta and focus. The plate part of the fiesta mount and the rubber part of the focus mount go together. Before they go together, you have to drill the hole about 1mm bigger because the bolt from the focus half is a bit big. Once its drilled they just bolt together.
The studs that hold the engine to the mount in the focus are too short in the fiesta. The engine womt sit level and the lower gearbox mount wont line up. I bought some 6 inch high tensile M12 bolts off ebay and made a pair of 2 inch spacers. I dropped the engine down from its mount and used the spacers between the engine and mount. The longer bolts are too long so i used the nyloc nuts from the original focus studs and used them on the new long bolts. Works fine. Could cut off the excess but its not causing any issues. Hope this helps
Old 17-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Jobe

Default New plan

Ive been having a think and i decided that i my plan of attack with regards to the wiring is to remove my entire dashboard, and fit another focus zetec engine loom and focus dash loom into the fez. Look into modifying the dashboard to accept the focus clocks. Seems to be the simplest, and ultimately, most reliable way around this, (at least in my head).
Does anyone know how to remove the entire dashboard?
​​​​
Old 17-10-2017, 08:35 PM
Hywel Jones
Virgin

Default Jobe

Thanks man big help!!
Old 19-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Juicy
Virgin

Originally Posted by Jobe
Ive been having a think and i decided that i my plan of attack with regards to the wiring is to remove my entire dashboard, and fit another focus zetec engine loom and focus dash loom into the fez. Look into modifying the dashboard to accept the focus clocks. Seems to be the simplest, and ultimately, most reliable way around this, (at least in my head).
Does anyone know how to remove the entire dashboard?
​​​​
sounds like my plan 😉
and a good easy plan
Old 19-10-2017, 04:56 PM
big_wasa

My take on why this may not be a great idea.

take a look at the amount of wires that will need shortening or lengthening. Just one or two faults could leave you fault finding for ever.

The abs ecu is attached to the pump. Has it got the same plug as the focus ? Will it talk to the body control unit ? Will the wheel speed sensors talk to it ?

Will the fuel sender match the dash ?

This is just a few examples, there will be dozens.

I am not saying it won't work, I am not saying it can't be done. But trust me when I say this is a shit load of work and I play with these as a hobby.

Last edited by big_wasa; 19-10-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Juicy
Virgin

There will be issues but shortening or lenghthing wires when your cutting and splitting wires is neither here or there.
abs pump and other shit like that can be left aside or even deleted from the car.
aslong as it runs everything else can be tweeted one by one afterwards.
what about if you used fiesta loom and just wired focus plugs into it? Would that work?
or would parameters be off? Under fuel and the rest
Old 20-10-2017, 10:51 AM
moondustka
Boooost!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

The easiest way in the my mind (not the cheapest) is to use the existing fiesta loom, change whatever engine loom plugs you need to and then put a syvecs/life racing ECU in.

I spoke to the tuning place I use several years ago and they were chopping the ECU multi-plug off Lamborghini ECUs and putting life racing on. Easiest way to get full control and more features.
Old 29-10-2017, 10:10 PM
Jobe

Talking update

If im honest though, I'm not looking to use aftermarket ECU's. At least not yet. Maybe in the future if I decide to go turbo or something. For now though, I'm looking to just stick to the original Focus setup. Speaking of which, I went down the route of using the focus clocks. Not a perfect fit, because 2 of the dash lights on each side of the cluster are hidden behind the dash itself. It's not worrying me, I'll find a solution for that when the cars running.
Ordered a focus mk1 1.8 zetec dash loom of ebay so when that gets here, i'll have a look at what the next step is.

I personally think the clocks suit the dash quite nicely

Old 30-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Juicy
Virgin

Looks like the best idea.
if you remover that lower trim on dash clocks it may even fit?
if not cut and make fit
Old 30-10-2017, 12:39 PM
Jobe

Ive already cut away pretty much everything that wa behind the original clocks. I cant see what else to cut away without compromising the appearance of the dash itself. One solution i could do would be to install additional lights into the dash somewhere and loop wires off the clocks.
Old 13-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Jobe

Default Sad day

Hey guys. A sad day has dawned. My landlord is selling my home so i have 3 months to leave. As a result of this I am forced to abandon my project Fiesta. Is anyone interested in buying it for cheap to carry on? Itll break my heart more to have to scrap it.
Old 14-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Juicy
Virgin

Ah that is shitty man. Sorry to hear that. Where are you located? Can you not take it with you?
Old 14-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Jobe

I dont know if i can take it with me. We dont know where we're going to live yet. Id rather someone else carried on and finished it because if i cant take it with me i may well be forced to scrap it. Im near Stroud in Gloucestershire
Old 14-11-2017, 11:19 AM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

Mate that’s bad news. I used to live in nailsworth. There’s loads of land around there for vehicle storage. Stash it for a month or 2 over winter then crack on when you’re sorted
Old 18-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Hywel Jones
Virgin

So gutted to hear your news man! I really hope you're able to carry on with the build after your move, would be extremely gutting to have to bail after coming this far
Old 21-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Jobe

Smile I'm back

Hey all. Been away for a while. House issue all sorted. Managed to stay local and am able to keep my little fez. Happy days.
In light of what was going on before christmas I haven't done anything else to the fiesta. Also the weather being as crappy as it has been lately hasn't really been encouraging. I'm waiting for it to warm up before I crack on.
Speaking of cracking on, is anyone on here any good with wiring? I'm completely stuck on the wiring side of things and could really use some help, preferably in person. I'm happy to provide tea, coffee, beers, and lunch
Old 22-03-2018, 07:36 PM
big_wasa

Great to here you havnt given up.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:11 PM
Jobe

Talking

I'm not giving up. Not after coming this far. Do you know of a member on here that I can talk to about the wiring issue I'm facing?
I would love to get this car finished and take it to a ford meet.

Now we have some clear skies I'm going to get out there today and see if I can tackle any of the wiring.
I bought a complete focus dash loom so I reckon swap out the fiesta dash loom for the focus one for now.
Its all educated guess work at the moment.

Last edited by Jobe; 25-03-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 27-03-2018, 06:50 PM
Jobe

Does anyone know if the engine wiring loom for the 2.0 focus blacktop is the same as the one on the 1800?
Old 28-03-2018, 06:01 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Does anyone know if the engine wiring loom for the 2.0 focus blacktop is the same as the one on the 1800?
it's exactly the same iirc
Old 28-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Jobe

Originally Posted by Rowe
it's exactly the same iirc
I hope so as I've just bought it all off ebay. Bit of a leap of faith but sometimes that's what it takes
Old 16-04-2018, 10:52 AM
moxonliam
Virgin

Stumbled across this thread as I've started my 1.8 conversion. How have you been getting on with the wiring? I'm also running the newer siemens ecu in my fez and not far off starting to wire everything to work off the older focus ecu. Luckily I've been able to get hold of some pin outs of both ecus and looks pretty straight forward. If you need any diagrams give me a shout and I'll be happy to pass on what I have.
Old 16-04-2018, 11:34 AM
Jobe

Originally Posted by moxonliam
Stumbled across this thread as I've started my 1.8 conversion. How have you been getting on with the wiring? I'm also running the newer siemens ecu in my fez and not far off starting to wire everything to work off the older focus ecu. Luckily I've been able to get hold of some pin outs of both ecus and looks pretty straight forward. If you need any diagrams give me a shout and I'll be happy to pass on what I have.
Hey pal. Not really having any joy whatsoever with the wiring Its totally beyond my capabilities to be fair. Yes please buddy, any help would be greatly appreciated ☺ Thanks
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 PM
dannnnnnnyboy
Virgin

Default St170 conversion

Hi all,

I have an interesting project that ill soon be undertaking.
I have a near mint 2003 mk6 fiesta finesse and have been given a mechanially sound and cosmetically battered 2001 mk1 1800 focus zetec.
I am really keen to put the zetec in my fiesta. I know im likely to hear "why not just put an st150 engine in it". Answer is, id rather do something a bit different.
Theres virtually no info online about this conversion even though some people seem to have done it, so im trying to put together a thread to help myself and others who fancy the same conversion
What engine mount can be used?
Is the standard IB5 gearbox ok to use and does it bolt straight onto a zetec?
Any other info you guys could add to the thread would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Hi im currently fitting a st170 engine and gearbox to a mk 6 fiesta diesel. I’ve found that the drive shafts are exactly the same length and the shafts fit the hub too, the engine and gearbox mounts do need some editing, I’m going to try to combine the focus and fiesta engine mount first (by the cambelt) however if this isn’t successful I’ll cut out the mounting plate from the focus and weld it on to the fiesta o/s chassis leg, the top gearbox mount looks simple enough, the rear gearbox mount on the focus is mounted horizontally to the subframe where as the fiestas is vertical so I’ll either try to fit the fiestas mount to the st gearbox or alter the subframe to accept the focus mount. Bit complicated but looks doable.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM
big_wasa

You can run them on the Oem ecu if your doing it on the cheap as well.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:16 PM
kierzo-52
motorcross rider

Any updates on this conversion as I'm just about to fit a 2.0 Silvertop in my mk6
Old 22-01-2022, 03:14 PM
kierzo-52
motorcross rider

What alternator bracket did you use buddy

Search this Thread