Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

AHK Racing, my ultimate Ford Sierra 3dr

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Kjellsen
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AHK Racing, my ultimate Ford Sierra 3dr

Hi all you people with passion for Fords My name is Anders Holst Kjellsen and I am from Norway. I have a huge passion for racing! So with that I will introduce my car I bought and imported from Sweden

My car story:
I found my Ford Sierra 2.0i late last year in 2016, right before the winter. It was found 3 hours from Norway in Sweden. When I first saw the car, I just could not drive back home without it. I was in shock when I saw his garage with magnesium parts etc from Blomquist and not enough with that TWO Cosworth 3 doors One used in rally and one is a project. Well, I drove the Sierra for a test drive and I was in love. I definitely needed the car! I was even more shocked when I saw the miles on it. It had about 32000 km!!! It has now 3500 km! I drove it home with no troubles at all It has the EFI 2.0 engine, but without the tacho, powersteering, it has the L exterior and interior. But I got the rubber wing in the deal to give it a little tough touch and the wing helps a little at the track

Some pictures of the car

My goals and dreams:

My first goal is to get it to trackdays. Make the car safe as possible and make the car handle much better than stock, but still have it road legal. So I can enjoy a sunday(everyday) drive. Drive it to the track, drive the whole day and drive back.

My other goal and dream is to try out some racing with it in the future Autocross, hill clim etc. To have it as my ultimate car

I have a lot of pictures that I will post, as I have done a lot since I bought the car. So be patient with me

PS: Many pictures is gone because Photobuck changed everything. So sorry for the lost pictures. But later in the posts the pictures is back again with another image company.

Anders Holst Kjellsen

Last edited by Kjellsen; 08-08-2017 at 07:33 PM. Reason: To get a more universal point on my Sierra. Using it for many other things than just Racing.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 AM
slammedorion
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 236 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to Passionford... Nice find, keep the pics coming
The following users liked this post:
Kjellsen (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 AM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by slammedorion
Welcome to Passionford... Nice find, keep the pics coming
Thanks mate I will! I have taken almost 300 pics since the purchase
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM
Kjellsen

My first problem and still exists today. I hope that disapears after changing other things like the coil etc. I had/has a problem that the car is hesitating and have small "cuts" when doing litle throttle movement. I dont know how much, but say tops 20%. I thought it was the pump as it has not being used for a long time. So bought a overkill pump for my 30 year old 115 hp, the 044 A real one, not fake But that didn't cure the problem. But after that change I didn't like the sound from the pump. I thought something is wrong with it. I sent it back, not before a couple days ago I got my refund. So I needed a new fuel pump. What to do! Hmmm.. Looked at Aeromotive fuel systems.

BINGO, Aeromotive Phantom 340 universal in-tank system Supports over 700 hp carburettors or EFI. Very easy to install, cleans it up under the car and are *silent*

Used these to use my oem fuel lines

Installed

I also did a new relay and wires to the pump so it i getting loads of VoltsIt did not help the problem, but I have now no need for baffled tank outside the fuel tank. It works great for its purpose

Last edited by Kjellsen; 10-03-2017 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Forgot to write something
Old 10-03-2017, 12:42 PM
jonfoc
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 272 Likes on 256 Posts

What a nice find. Keep the pictures coming. I'd love to see the previous owners garage too
Kjellsen (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 01:09 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

What a great find. Love the new fuel pump
Kjellsen (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:13 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by jonfoc
What a nice find. Keep the pictures coming. I'd love to see the previous owners garage too
Thank you! I dont have pictures of his garage, sorry I was so busy looking at the goodies he have and listening to his stories hehe!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by gcfcos
What a great find. Love the new fuel pump
Thanks I love the design, it is so small and hidden but deliver so much
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Kjellsen

I have changed the locks and got new keys. I hope I can get rid of some, because having one for ignition and fuel cap, one for the rear and one for the sides is maybe toooo much :S hehe

I took also a service to the engine. Everything was oem! Spark plugs, leads etc was from factory hehe! So changed the cooling water to red and filled a bottle Redline water wetter. Changed the spark plugs and leads, NGK plugs and universal leads that I cut to length. Oil filter changed to Royal Purple with good filtration and filled up new oil, Royal Purple HPS 20w-50 with high Zink in it. New 82 celcius thermostat and new waterpump. New oem fuel filter

Then I wanted a instrument with tachometer Cut a piece from another Sierra at the wreckers. Then made it all nice with some braided and heat shrink Soldered the loom in the car and Voila

I also began to get some parts for my plans in the winter I got an brake pump from a Cosworth 3DR

Complete front hubs from Cosworth 3dr

I got a free spare ohc engine I will rebuild this later with throttle bodies etc. The cylinder is already under some magic work

Cossie 4x4 rear suspension, I will use 3DR trailing arms and arb.

My new gearbox and diff oil

"Few" parts was ordered :P

Bought som used 4 pot calipers and rear Koni's. Front arb clamps. I will have the calipers refurbished with pistons etc

Refurbish kit from BigRed, H&R springs and rear hatch dampers

New diff mount and bushes

3dr trailing arms!

7" diff with LSD and 3.92:1

CL brakes RC5+ pads, rear spring bushes and arb link bushes

Diff tool, camber and toe in shims,an6 hose clamps, diff seals

Top end gasket kit

Diamond discs

Bushings, HD geabox mount, brake bias valve.

Frobt strut top bushes, wheel studs and nuts and wiring for the fans

Quickshift, stainless braided brake lines, 2.7 locktolock steering

Koni frobt struts

Vdoes, oil temp, pressure and water temp

Rear calipers and yokohamas advan neova AD08R in 205/50-15"

Some random photos from a cruise

Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM
Kjellsen

Then the work begins for the winter. I had the walls and floor painted I also fitted new lights with Leds with help from family. They ARE bright

So e pictures under the car and of the rust.

Removed the inlet manifold. Removed the furl injectors to replace the o-rings. I made a little injector clean rigg Works great!

Ever seen so clean inlets ports on a 30 year old ohc?

Mounted and oil pressure adapter and VDO pressure sensor

Some new parts, again :P MSD coil, hood locks and rear hatch locks

Removed the crankshaft pulley... Yes, I forgot the big washer and destroyed the pulley Lesson learned. Long time since the last time.. Hehe :P

Removed the front and rear suspension.

Sold the old suspension

These will be refusbished

Test fitted the seat Cant wait to get in it and DRIVE

New welding machine and extras Love to fabricate things and weld? Need one for the rust and cage

Test fitted the fans. Just waiting for the mounts and need to do some wiring. Easy

Then I fabricated the plate for the VDO gauges Will have oil pressure warning lamps in red. The plate is in carbon Who doesnt like carbon

New bolts to the suspension They will be sent to galvanizing.

New metall to fix the rust

Preparing for rust repair and cage. Removed all the sound mats

Removed the gearbox, flywheel and clutch Replaced the rear and speedo waier seal.

Recieved a cossie 2wd sump, gasket, seals, spark plugs, clips, bolts

I finally got my rear roll cage! Cant wait to begin on this. But first, RUST

That is all I have now for you. A "quick" up to speed update on Passionford :P I tried my best to remember it all and write something. But hope you like it And sorry my english is a bit rough :P

Last edited by Kjellsen; 10-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Looking good, keep the pictures coming
Kjellsen (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:47 PM
jonfoc

Bloody hell you've been busy and nice collection of parts. How long until it's finished and you're racing?
Is this model of Sierra common in scandanavia?

Last edited by jonfoc; 10-03-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Kjellsen (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 05:58 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by Mark V8
Looking good, keep the pictures coming
Thanks Well! That was all I had.... For nowMore is coming! I can now start my welding. As I got my Volvo welding primer
Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 PM
Kjellsen

Bloody hell you've been busy and nice collection of parts. How long until it's finished and you're racing?
Is this model of Sierra common in scandanavia?
Haha Yeah, it has been a busy time. But now goes the hard work. Welding fresh steel in the car and kick some rust out Thanks!
Well.. My goal is before summer. But I cant put time on the white board, I try to do the ONLY work needed. But I always does a little work more than that
I have only have one trackday in my life in 2014. Always been a spectator, looking at movies etc.. So hoping to begin racing after a time with trackdays and learning more about racing. How to setup my car, driving lines, lessons with instructors etc I got a racing course at Rudskogen race track with instructor to christmas last year, so looking forward to that

I have not seen so many of the 2.0i. Just the 2.0IS. It has different exterior and interior.
jonfoc (10-03-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 01:45 PM
Kjellsen

NOW I have removed the sound deadning:P Wasn't done in my earlier post. Cleaned it up and sprayed some rust killer on the rust. Next job is to weld some new steel in

Last edited by Kjellsen; 11-03-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 13-03-2017, 12:00 PM
Kjellsen

Started my first rust repair Wire brush wheel to clean the surface and weld poinr drill to remove the seat mount bracket

Old 13-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Kjellsen

Welded new steel in Very happy with my Kemppi

Underside
Old 13-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Marc sierra

Received 157 Likes on 143 Posts

That's a very nice find! Good luck with the build. Keep an eye on the fitment of those Polyrace bushes from rallydesign. I ordered a set for the rear trailing arms a couple of years ago, but the bushes were too small for the holes in the arms. The second set they sent me had the exact same problem. In the end it's best to use the Cosworth spherical bearings from GGR.
Old 13-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Kjellsen

And now some Volvo welding primer before welding the bracket back Need to clean some welds before final pain.

Old 13-03-2017, 04:11 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by Marc sierra
That's a very nice find! Good luck with the build. Keep an eye on the fitment of those Polyrace bushes from rallydesign. I ordered a set for the rear trailing arms a couple of years ago, but the bushes were too small for the holes in the arms. The second set they sent me had the exact same problem. In the end it's best to use the Cosworth spherical bearings from GGR.
Thank you for the kind words
Hmmm..! Never had that problem before when using them. But I will keep that in my mind when mounting them. Thanks!
Old 14-03-2017, 12:54 PM
Kjellsen

Got my parts from Burton-Power to my engine. Now I can finsh my timing belt job. Nut that is not what I do before everything else is finished.
Old 14-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Kjellsen

I continued attacking the rust today Grinded the paint, drilled the welding spots, cleaned the bracket before painted welding primer. I then was changing my disc, tighten the disc *CRACK* motherf..... That stopped my work on the rust. I will delivere the grinder tomorrow. Se what they say.

I tried to mount my cooling fans onto the radiator Well... that went well. NOT! :P The zip ties didnt hold.. grrr..

Well.. I could mount the LED lamps for the oil pressure switch 3/4 hokes drill something must have happened in my brain.. because the last one is waaay off.. Enough to eat my soul So a new plate must be fabricated :P

Old 14-03-2017, 06:18 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Cool project i managed to get 128bhp from my old pinto inj with a fr34 cam but the engine had done moon miles.......

Thought you would turbo it???
Old 14-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by costina
Cool project i managed to get 128bhp from my old pinto inj with a fr34 cam but the engine had done moon miles.......

Thought you would turbo it???
Thank you for that Soundd about right for that mod

Oh yes I have always wanted turbo and upto 3-350 So I maybe make a budget turbo engine with Cosworth rods/pistons, FR34 cam, f.ex Maxxecu, homemade ex.manifold and a fast spooling turbo as possible for the HP I want
Old 14-03-2017, 07:09 PM
jonfoc

What about a RWD zetec turbo? ST170 bottom end with a blacktop head, that'll make a nice 250-300 I've read somewhere
Old 14-03-2017, 07:30 PM
Kjellsen

What about a RWD zetec turbo? ST170 bottom end with a blacktop head, that'll make a nice 250-300 I've read somewhere
It`s sounds fun to try But I just want a simple setup with a lot of fun The pinto turbo is a "secure" road to my goal
Old 14-03-2017, 08:12 PM
1374lee
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 91 Likes on 91 Posts

What a cracking project, nice to see another sierra that is non Cosworth, rare these days. Keep up the good work and the pics coming.

CheeRS.Lee.
Kjellsen (14-03-2017)
Old 14-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by 1374lee
What a cracking project, nice to see another sierra that is non Cosworth, rare these days. Keep up the good work and the pics coming.

CheeRS.Lee.
Thanks for the nice words! Not so many to see in Norway either and most of them are using the YB engine. Not that it is negative, just want to do the things the way I want to do Try to think in the long run and do things as good as I can the first time. So I can have fun the rest of the time that`s why we do it? Because it is fun to drive and upgrade

Cheers Kjellsen
Old 15-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Kjellsen

I delivered my grinder to service at Tess. That will send it to Metabo. Most likely I get a new one. I hope that wont take a long time

I can continue other things I still need to get my suspension ready to get galvanized. Bushing need to be removed, bearings and old paint. I got my paint remover today, so I will try that out tomorrow I think. I got some boxes to get things organized when dismantling the axles etc. Ordered a couple 12.9 bolts that is difficult to get in Norway. Strange, but true.. So ebay saved my day :P Still need to get 4 bolts for the front cradle.

I received studs for the inlet and exhaust sides on the cylinder head and gasket tube for some places that need when mounting new oil pan gasket.
Old 16-03-2017, 12:14 PM
MedFin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What! A Norwegian build and no huge turbo and mega horsepower.

Very nice car and shell you got there. Dash with out cracks nice! Seems you have solved my fuel pump problem.

Greetings from Finland

Last edited by MedFin; 16-03-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 16-03-2017, 12:33 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by MedFin
What! A Norwegian build and no mega ass turbo.

Very nice car and shell you got there. Dash with out cracks nice! Seems you have solved my fuel pump problem.

Greetings from Finland
Hehe! Not everyone is hunting for dyno power that are useless :P (shots fired, haha ) Just kidding! If I am doing a turbo build it would be upto 3-350 on max, with wide power band. It is a street car with time attack idea When using 205/50-15", I must think about the power for trackdays. For drifting its perfect with more power Power is awsome and it would be fun have tried a car with over 4-500 ++ hp one day It is a cheap car to have with power as it doesnt need so much to have fun

thanks! It is a good solid car. Just some typical Sierra rust Your welcome! hehe.. I have never seen someone use that system in s Sierra before. Strange actually :P

Last edited by Kjellsen; 19-03-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 19-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Kjellsen

Now, since I can`t work om my rust. I am working on the suspension. Need to remove bushings, bearing, studs. So I can deliver it to be galvanized at Vestby Galanisering. So looking forward to get it back all shiny and fresh! After that my plan is to get some parts powdercoated for some extra protection and nice finish It is a car that will be used alot, but I like to do the little extra when I first do it

Started the day with installing my "new" tool on my bench! So happy with it, it works and does what it supposed to do I find a new one so expensive for a good one. So need to use alot of money for a good old one

I also recieved my Cosworth 2wd pickup pipe and oil pump from Paul, PJ motorsport

Started with the busings. I made a tool as I dont have a press to press the bushings out. It usually work, it worked on ONE.. The rest just said NOPE!
So I will just ask Ford workshop in Larvik. They have helped me before with this. I hope in the future to get a small press to to things like bearings etc. I dont like to smash them in with a hammer. I will ask them again with the bearing install.

Started the bearing removal for the front spindles and it goes with no problems at all Old ones out and in the thrash. I did use a hammer to smash the studs out, new longer studs will be used instead

Bearings out

Finished both sides The right side has links if anyone was thinking about that.

Mounted boxes on the wall to get things a bit more organized

Started so with the rear axles

Off with the CV boot clamps and boot.

I have new boots and clamps. But I never get rid of my old ones before I mounted the new. They look like new too New 12.9 unbraco bolts is to be used instead of the oem ones.

Now finished one side! But I need to clean it up before starting on the next one

Old 19-03-2017, 05:30 PM
Kjellsen

Started today on the other axle. Take all appart and cleaned it

Removed the rear wheel bearings. Fresh bearings for sale :P

Paint stripper on the parts
Old 20-03-2017, 11:04 AM
DaveCrack
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lovely project you started there! Will be interesting to see how this coming out in the end!
Old 20-03-2017, 04:25 PM
Kjellsen

Originally Posted by DaveCrack
Lovely project you started there! Will be interesting to see how this coming out in the end!
Thanks for the nice words! I am interested to about the end Hopefully I will be finished to drive this year. My goal is to drive and have fun. So a show car is not my goal, but I can take things toooo far
Old 20-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Kjellsen

Did a new coat off paint remover and rust killer One step further to paint

Last edited by Kjellsen; 20-03-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 23-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Kjellsen

Now I have washed the parts free from pant remover. On the smaller parts like the front hubs, the paint went off really good. But the trailing arms and cradle needs sandblasting. I will need to do that to the snall parts to get then 100% clean from paint. Making some calls today to get them blast and I hope I can use my mate blast equipment. Correct my english if something waaay wrong

Old 25-03-2017, 09:54 PM
Kjellsen

I started today pressing the old bushings out the rear arb links. Didn`t know that was possible before buying new bushings from Motomobil. So that saves me some money

Then I fitted the spring on the belt tensioner. Much easier when changing the timing belt

Fitted new sprocket wheel for the timing belt.

Fitted a oil seperator from a Cosworth 3dr and used some sealer from Loctite on the threads for the sensors.

Then dismantled the short shifter as I am not happy with the play in the bearing So I hope a new SKF bearing will do the deal on this problem

Then I dismantled the steering rack. Yes I am using the manual steering, I will one day mount a electric pump with another rack. Or I will mount a electric motor on the axle. It will be 2.7 locktolock, I think it is 4,2 oem. It also will be painted before mounting it back together

[URL=http://s143.photobucket.com/user/DeLaX89/media/Ford%20Sierra%2020i/A675EB0D-9F13-4190-B183-93C51C84698D.jpg.html]

Old 26-03-2017, 08:08 PM
Kjellsen

I found a new rear crank seal in one of the boxes. So I changed it, hopefully it will be a leak free time ahead

Washed the plate so it is ready for galvanizing

The gearbox needed a good clean after 30 years of abuse/use from a old lady
It is in a good shape, not much play in the front axle bearing. But some, it works and has no bad sounds. So hopefully it will be a good gearbox for my 115hp at the moment

I couldn`t just clean it and look at it without thinking.. paint.. It needs paint.. So I found some rim paint in black and it came out looking much better then I thought I also changed the top lid gasket.

Old 26-03-2017, 09:29 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Looking good