Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Capri 2.8 project - yes or no??

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 04:23 PM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 393 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by TomPengelly
I didn't say I drove it hard. It lost traction at 10-15mph...
Sorry , from what you said i thought you had been going quite fast to get it sideways!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:01 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

I wouldn't have been able to drive it without at least getting it sideways on one roundabout lol. Good lad!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:29 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gcfcos
I wouldn't have been able to drive it without at least getting it sideways on one roundabout lol. Good lad!
+1 had a 2.8 and a 2.0s back in the day and the s cost me Ł300 t+t for 6 months and was a cracker till I took out a line of trees The 2.8 was Ł150 with a couple of weeks test and I made profit on both

Was a guy last year down the road from me selling a tatty laser needed both doors both wings and more but with a 6 month mot got 2k for it. Can't see you getting this cheap if the guys been watching egay unfortunately
Old 11-01-2017, 07:09 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Capris were made to go sideways
Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe how easy the thing did want to go sideways! Anything over 30mph in the rain must have been hard work to keep in a straight line whilst accelerating!!

But like you said- probably not a good idea to be driven hard until I know the thing won't fall to bits... 😂
Old 11-01-2017, 09:29 PM
caprizetec170
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest it don't look that bad. Dash and interior look good and rare enough to have 5 speed and cloth interior ive fixed worst and scrapped better.
think of it this way how much of it can you do yourself,
I wouldnt be too worried about front wings they all go, check around sun roof, top of A piller, along bottom of sills scuttle panel and where front floor meets bulk head
Old 11-01-2017, 10:28 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Iv had worst than that as daily runners and hammered them, been fine it's not exactly full of holes so be fine to drive hard! If it's that much of a handful in the wet it may have an lsd fitted, their really good fun with an lsd in the wet without just tend to spin the inside wheel, many non specials had lsds fitted later in life.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:12 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can't believe how easy the thing did want to go sideways! Anything over 30mph in the rain must have been hard work to keep in a straight line whilst accelerating!!

But like you said- probably not a good idea to be driven hard until I know the thing won't fall to bits... 😂
I went through a string on capris in the early 2000s and had the whole range of this shape, 1.6,2.0 and 2.8 and even the 1.6 was lethal on wet roundabouts lol
Old 15-01-2017, 07:46 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

I got the car by the way. I ended up swapping it for a vw Passat I couldn't sell! So I'm happy with that.

Are the wheels it has fitted, the ones it would have left the factory with? Or has someone put them on there?

if they are standard I will leave them, if not il look out for a set of pepper pots...
Old 15-01-2017, 07:51 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Cool the capri will always be worth more than a vw.

It should be on peppers on that year. I am sure lee2cossies will come on and confirm or not.
The following users liked this post:
lee2cossies (17-01-2017)
Old 15-01-2017, 08:31 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Cheers.

il start a build thread when I go for it!

On a the passenger side, the strut top on the inner wing has been plated and looks horrible. There are inner wing sections eBay that have been cut out of shells. Would there be any reason not to cut mine out and replace it with a rot-free one?

and same goes for the roof. Mine is bubbling- but there is a complete roof on eBay that's been cut at the pillars...
Old 15-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom,
If your ok with panel work i'd say go for it if the price is right. They are easy to work on mate. Cars were alot simpler then.

I have just sold one here in New Zealand and bought a Cossie Sapp. I did a bit of work on it and know Capri's well so if you have any questions, just pm me.

A good place for resonably priced parts parts is Tickover, they are in Dartford, Kent. Gus is a good guy.
Old 16-01-2017, 10:48 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers.

On a the passenger side, the strut top on the inner wing has been plated and looks horrible. There are inner wing sections eBay that have been cut out of shells. Would there be any reason not to cut mine out and replace it with a rot-free one?

and same goes for the roof. Mine is bubbling- but there is a complete roof on eBay that's been cut at the pillars...
How good at welding are you? Most modern cars have wings etc bolted on, but earlier cars like the Capri had them spot welded on.
I see you live in Southampton as well.
Old 16-01-2017, 10:52 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Wessa. That is how Tom would like his to finish up I would think.
Old 16-01-2017, 11:27 AM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Hi mate. Yes I'm in Bursledon, Southampton.

i work at a garage but never got into welding. I would do all the prep work but would pay someone good money to do a good job to weld the panels on.
Old 16-01-2017, 11:33 AM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Wow, your black Capri looks lovely! Looks great in black too.

i can weld exhaust mounts and patches on a ka outer sill but that's as far as I would trust myself. I would rather pay someone good money to do a good job when it comes to replacing the panels.

yes, I'm in Bursledon, Southampton
Old 17-01-2017, 09:25 AM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Cheers.

Cool, get a build thread on the go. I wouldn't replace the whole section, remove the bodged repair first and see what you have.Magnum panels have recently started making original equipment style top mount replacement panels that fit tidy and look original, just got a set for mine.
Old 25-01-2017, 07:55 AM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

I had the car MOT'd yesterday.

It failed on:

exscessice play in a front wheel bearing
corrosion the size of a 20p on an outer sill
corrosion the size of a tennis ball on the rear floor section near the outer sill
brake fluid contaminated rear back plates

so looks like I just need 2 plates welded on, a pair of wheel cylinders and a wheel bearing.

quite happy with that...
Old 25-01-2017, 09:42 AM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Front bearings are taper so only an adjust required...

No bad at all a good rolling project.
Old 25-01-2017, 01:57 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Happy days mate that's awesome news!!
Old 25-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

I had the car MOT'd yesterday.

It failed on:

exscessice play in a front wheel bearing
corrosion the size of a 20p on an outer sill
corrosion the size of a tennis ball on the rear floor section near the outer sill
brake fluid contaminated rear back plates

so looks like I just need 2 plates welded on, a pair of wheel cylinders and a wheel bearing.

quite happy with that...
Nice one Tom. Your on your way
Old 28-01-2017, 12:58 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Thanks for the replies! It now has an MOT!

I think first on the list is to but another fibreglass Bonnet with the frame- can't seem to find a metal one, and I can't stand the Bonnet pins in the one I have.

outer wings look easy enough to get, so do outer sills.

as for the poor looking plate on the inner wing- I see you can get an inner wing strut top mount repair section.

Il have to strip the doors and see if they are worth saving too.

Old 28-01-2017, 01:00 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Thanks for the replies! It now has an MOT!

I think first on the list is to but another fibreglass Bonnet with the frame- can't seem to find a metal one, and I can't stand the Bonnet pins in the one I have.

outer wings look easy enough to get, so do outer sills.

as for the poor looking plate on the inner wing- I see you can get an inner wing strut top mount repair section.

Il have to strip the doors and see if they are worth saving too.

The following users liked this post:
davidglanza (28-01-2017)
Old 28-01-2017, 11:35 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Looks nice, good to see one being saved.
Old 29-01-2017, 09:44 AM
mk22door
Fart of the Purniture

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

YAY for the Capri

I'd leave those RS wheels on mate, they look better than the pepperpots to me.

Maybe just get one of the mods to move this thread into the Resto area and edit the title of the thread.

Got to be a million times better than the whatever it was you swapped for and if you go down the right road as far as a resto goes you'll never be out of smiles or pocket

Love a Capri mate.

Good on ya
Old 29-01-2017, 10:03 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The car looks better in these photos. As for the wheels the ones on it look in pretty good shape and they are the correct Ford ones for the car. Not sure on the best way to re-cover the dash top but I would stick with a black vinyl. The bonnet pins do look good on a race or rally car but not on a road car. Is the existing bonnet a metal or fibre glass one? If its in good condition it may be possible to cover the holes and still keep it.
Old 29-01-2017, 03:08 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Cheers!

I swapped it for a Passat TdI, 2011 so worth a bit but I think it needed an ECU, I couldn't fix the thing. It thought it was minus 60 degrees all the time. Changed the sensor and it moved to minus 42 degrees. Ran other wire from the sensor to the ect, still the same. I had it for so long it was dead money so I'm happy with the deal anyway.

the Bonnet is fibreglass. I wasn't going to fill the holes as I don't want the filler to crack? Was going to try and find a genuine Bonnet, or if not just a new fibreglass one with a frame like it has now!
Old 29-01-2017, 08:49 PM
edd
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adder
That's a basket case fella. A couple of things you should consider is the parts like many older Fords these days are getting hard to find. You've mentioned a dogey front panel which are going for around the Ł600 mark not to mention front wings ! Fuel tanks are like rocking horse poo. On the plus side it looks like an early 4 speed which folks like but unless the car has some sort of sentimental value it's just a breaker.

Hope this helps

Adder
4 speed was pretty much X plates only
Old 30-01-2017, 07:14 AM
cossynut2
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers!

I swapped it for a Passat TdI, 2011 so worth a bit but I think it needed an ECU, I couldn't fix the thing. It thought it was minus 60 degrees all the time. Changed the sensor and it moved to minus 42 degrees. Ran other wire from the sensor to the ect, still the same. I had it for so long it was dead money so I'm happy with the deal anyway.

the Bonnet is fibreglass. I wasn't going to fill the holes as I don't want the filler to crack? Was going to try and find a genuine Bonnet, or if not just a new fibreglass one with a frame like it has now!
The holes in the fibre glass bonnet should be able to be filled in with a fibre glass repair kit and there is no reason why the repair will crack.
Years ago when Fibre glass racing petrol tanks for motorbikes were still around i repaired mine and never had any problems afterwards.
Old 31-01-2017, 08:32 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Thanks for the replies.

would there be any reason not to re-shell the car? I've been offered a bare shell that is virtually rust free- but was a 2.0 laser auto??

Just thought it would be worth it for the inner wings and front panel..

or he has a pair of rust free complete doors and a rust free Bonnet for Ł550?

Not sure what route route to go down...
Old 02-02-2017, 05:03 PM
lee2cossies
PassionFord Post Troll

Re shelling would de value the car. The v6 shells are strengthened, you can now buy the strengthening bits but its difficult to fit them without noticing, wings off too do the inner front turret ones, also a laser shell will have rear towing eye, locks in doors and if its a 1986 laser side repeaters, can also get around these but a lot of work. Keeping the original shell will help hold the cars value.
Doors aint too expensive but bonnets are hard to find, id buy the bonnet look else where for the doors at that price.
Old 14-02-2017, 02:03 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Cheers for the replies- I got a pair of tidy doors and a bonnet for Ł380 all in so quite happy with that. Bought a few trim bits on eBay that I will need to.

il keep you updated on how the project goes!
Old 15-02-2017, 07:12 PM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Cheers for the replies- I got a pair of tidy doors and a bonnet for Ł380 all in so quite happy with that. Bought a few trim bits on eBay that I will need to.
il keep you updated on how the project goes!
Nice one Tom
Old 26-02-2017, 06:13 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

I stripped the car over the weekend- the shell isn't actually as bad as I thought. I have a steel Bonnet and a pair of doors for it now. I want to get the inner wing too strut repair panel for the near side as the repair that it's had doesn't look pretty...

the engine bay bay itself doesn't look too bad, I'm thinking of getting the car shot blasted. This a good idea or not??

i also chucked 5 quid of diesel in the steam cleaner and blasted it for ages- engine bay looks loads better already.

was going to have it prepped at painted, then put it back on the ramp, remove rear axle and suspension, all brakes, front suspension, subframe steering ect, paint the underside, have all components powder coated, then refit it all...

im going to start a build thread on the car now too.

thanks everyone for there advice and info so far!

Old 26-02-2017, 06:23 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Bloody good progress there mate
Old 26-02-2017, 06:51 PM
ray barker
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

the only car i regret missing out on was a 3ltr s in that shape in red.recaro`s with fish net head rests five speed with rs revolutions. i missed it by 20 mins

Last edited by ray barker; 26-02-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: 350 quid in 1987
Old 27-02-2017, 02:33 AM
Wessa
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by gcfcos
Bloody good progress there mate
I'l second that
Old 27-02-2017, 05:00 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

Will be keeping an eye on this one. How long you reckon it's going to take now to finish? Doesn't look that bad at all now it's apart. Can't wait to see this progress
Old 20-04-2017, 10:03 PM
TomPengelly
Kapow!!

Build thread-

https://passionford.com/forum/restor...-8i-resto.html
Old 22-04-2017, 02:15 AM
visa_broke
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 329 Likes on 308 Posts

doesn't look the worst capri i've seen now you've stripped it