Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Air puff / blow by out of valve cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:17 PM
LiviN7
Project SuperNatural

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air puff / blow by out of valve cover

Hey all,
I recently reinstalled my 1.9 CVH back into my EXP after having the rings and cylinders checked out. Th reason was because I was getting some air puff or "blow by" out of the cover during idle. There wasn't exhaust smoke or anything like that but certainly felt some "air puffs".
The rings and cylinder walls looked good. Even after a new set of plasma moly rings, upon starting the car yesterday I felt the same blow by I had before removing the engine? Is this normal for cvh engines?
I will admit that I did not put the PCV valve yesterday to see if blow by was still present. Am I being too fussy into thinking I could get no blow by?

Before taking the engine out I did have the PCV valve but I wasn't getting good suction from the intake unless the engine revs a bit higher. Only when the throttle was opened did the valve cover air puff/blow by completely disappear. What are your experiences with blow by?

Also note that I did not put the turbo on yet. I am using my long tube headers to break the engine in first.

Last edited by LiviN7; 11-12-2016 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Adding more information
Old 11-12-2016, 05:35 PM
haz87
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 175 Likes on 165 Posts

The crankcase will always create some pressure, its not a vacuum environment with the cap off (or whatever you are removing to feel the pulses).

Perfectly normal
The following users liked this post:
LiviN7 (12-12-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 08:48 PM
rooos
PassionFord Regular

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

i'd say so too... sounds quite normal
The following users liked this post:
LiviN7 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 12:26 PM
LiviN7
Project SuperNatural

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok then, thank you.

Now I am looking forward to getting the T3 on in the Spring.