Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

2004 Imp Blue ST170

Search this Thread

Old 14-01-2017, 03:03 PM
fury556
ST170

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ah nice one Rowe, it's definitely on my watch list.

Nothing much to add other than I gave the engine bay a quick spruce - I want to carbon wrap some of the plastic trim, but thought I'd see what it looks like with some back to black sprayed on. Gave the rocker cover a quick going over with some Autosol which helped brighten it up a bit too, but the paint is a little rough due to some oxidisation, but it looks alright I think!

Old 14-01-2017, 04:52 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Get yourself some degreaser spray like Gunk, only about £6. It does the job well though. Spray on, agitate with a bristle brush, leave for about 2 minutes and wipe away. I would use something like back to black after degreasing to seal in some level of protection to keep it clean.

I know it's only the engine bay , but ocd happens to the best of us .
Old 16-01-2017, 10:15 AM
fury556
ST170

Originally Posted by H3lsing
Get yourself some degreaser spray like Gunk, only about £6. It does the job well though. Spray on, agitate with a bristle brush, leave for about 2 minutes and wipe away. I would use something like back to black after degreasing to seal in some level of protection to keep it clean.

I know it's only the engine bay , but ocd happens to the best of us .
Yeah it needs a proper degreasing + pressure was et al, just not sure if I want to spend the time

As a separate question, does anyone happen to know if the fittings for brake lines would be different between a Focus and Ka? I have some old goodridge braided hoses for a Ka which I never got around to using and figured it might be worth to stick them on the focus. They have a different part number on the goodridge site but I don't know if it might just be lengths that are different?
Old 16-01-2017, 11:38 AM
STeve

Received 864 Likes on 692 Posts

hope you dont leave your throttle cable there as shown in pic lol
Old 16-01-2017, 12:03 PM
fury556
ST170

Originally Posted by 1-PD
hope you dont leave your throttle cable there as shown in pic lol
Haha, no it was tucked back, but I did forget to plug the VCT solenoid back in before I put the spark plug cover back on
The following users liked this post:
STeve (16-01-2017)
Old 13-12-2018, 11:53 AM
fury556
ST170

Been a while since I've updated this! A few things have been changed here and there and a few problems along the way...

I kept having issues with the standard wheels getting abused by pot holes and balance issues and found a very reasonably priced set of MP3 alloys which had been powder coated in anthracite. Hopefully I'll end up getting the originals refurbished at some point and keep them for track use with proper tyres. I've got some centre caps on the way and some black wheel nuts to fit to make it all look a bit neater but I'm pretty happy with the wheels!

I drove to Spa with the missus in early November this year and did a track day - fookin' amazing place. Would thoroughly recommend it to anyone thinking about going.

It then had its MOT at the end of the month - the IMRC has never worked since I've had it and so the EML has been illuminated. This caused it to fail under the new regs (as well as failing on the parking brake efficiency). I had a spare IMRC that was bought as used but working from ebay a while back which I had them fit but the error remained and it wouldn't clear the P1518 code I ended up getting a new IMRC (400-odd fucking quid later) as I didn't have any other choice and no car to get me to work. To top that off, the replacement rear calipers I bought didn't work either which cost me another day sourcing a pattern set (£200 a pop for genuine parts) and a new handbrake cable later it passed. I must say it does feel better to drive at lower RPM, it picks up a lot better. I did end up getting the TTV flywheel which again made a massive difference to engine response. It has a few bushes that need replacing soon and I plan on getting a whiteline rear ARB + bushes to boost the handling side of things, but that's going to be a little further in the future once my wallet recovers!

If anyone is interested in refurbing IMRC units, I've got them listed on ebay now: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123542391612 & https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123542392717

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
H3lsing (13-12-2018)