Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Big build getting back on track

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:14 PM
gjh
10K+ Poster!!

Received 347 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
So you are getting a bigger pump to supply more fuel to injectors that will be able to flow for 1000 HP
That bit I get
But won't these injectors be too big to run at low revs then? Or an I still stuck in the 90's?
With modern mapping they can probably control the fuel flow at lower RPMs is my guess.

Looking good Rod! Wouldn't know where to start with that wiring diagram pic!
Old 03-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Nkice to hear your on the mend young was wondering why we aint seen you for a cupa for a while

Last edited by Jay,; 03-09-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

So you are getting a bigger pump to supply more fuel to injectors that will be able to flow for 1000 HP
That bit I get
But won't these injectors be too big to run at low revs then? Or an I still stuck in the 90's?
On Rods last set up it was running 8 750cc injectors so 1500cc per cylinder full on and no staging and 1.9co on tickover,
This set up will have 1000cc on and 1700cc staged so not working till about a bar so will be no problems.

Mark
Old 03-09-2015, 06:49 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

That bit I get
Just seen that Mark has answered but a few tech facts.

Injectors are rated at 43psi. In a Cossie we run 51psi so a given injector will flow more than its quoted cc/min. As we add Boost that rises so at 4 bar its at 109psi. This means we can use smaller injectors than a car running 2 bar of Boost making the same Power. Don't make your Brain hurt Dojj I will explain that all very soon. I have 8 injectors & 4 will be 1000cc whatever Power we run so Mark may be able to make them work rather well . Please remember its 2015 not 1989 & we have electronics & hardware not available back then.

Last edited by Rod-Tarry; 03-09-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
On Rods last set up it was running 8 750cc injectors so 1500cc per cylinder full on and no staging and 1.9co on tickover,
This set up will have 1000cc on and 1700cc staged so not working till about a bar so will be no problems.

Mark
Originally Posted by Rod-Tarry
Just seen that Mark has answered but a few tech facts.

Injectors are rated at 43psi. In a Cossie we run 51psi so a given injector will flow more than its quoted cc/min. As we add Boost that rises so at 4 bar its at 109psi. This means we can use smaller injectors than a car running 2 bar of Boost making the same Power. Don't make your Brain hurt Dojj I will explain that all very soon. I have 8 injectors & 4 will be 1000cc whatever Power we run so Mark may be able to make them work rather well . Please remember its 2015 not 1989 & we have electronics & hardware not available back then.
i was not aware you were running 8 injectors, but to make my brain not hurt:

4 are for normal stuff and the extra ones are the back up when they are needed

because the pressure is higher they do more fuel in the same time

and due to having the technology, the way they are being used is more controllable than it was back in the day

just say yes if that's the basics and no if it's not and i'll try to figure it out as we go along, everything else will need 5 pages worth of explanations otherwise
The following users liked this post:
opposite lock (19-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

i was not aware you were running 8 injectors, but to make my brain not hurt:

4 are for normal stuff and the extra ones are the back up when they are needed

because the pressure is higher they do more fuel in the same time

and due to having the technology, the way they are being used is more controllable than it was back in the day

just say yes if that's the basics and no if it's not and i'll try to figure it out as we go along, everything else will need 5 pages worth of explanations otherwise

YEP!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Rod-Tarry:
dojj (04-09-2015), natehall (16-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Tev
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All very interesting, keep the updates coming!!
Old 16-09-2015, 02:06 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

good to hear your cracking on with it again rod
Old 16-09-2015, 02:19 PM
Kevin_Mc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll be subscribing to this thread, best of luck with it Rod & Mark. I never understand why Rod gets so much crap on threads here, i'm more of a lurker than a poster though so it could be over my head.

Sorry to hear about the depression, it's not nice to go through. I suffered with it for about a year before getting to the point where i had to do something - thankfully that was recognise the problem and go to my doctor where i was prescribed some medication and, more importantly, counselling. I came off the tablets a few weeks before i finished the counselling and feel better for it. I have real enthusiasm for things again and can actually see a future instead of being stuck in a swamp of shite. Still got a way to go but i have renewed energy to concentrate on fitness and life in general.

Anyway, enough about me - as said - best of luck
Old 16-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Big day today.

11th Anniversary of first 200mph run & also my official im 'old now' 70th Birthday. Seems a lifetime ago & how things have changed back then all bhp & how fast can we go, now for most, is it standard it must stand in a barn for 20 years to be the real deal & please don't drive it fast . From Petrolheads to pansies in a decade.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rod-Tarry:
DAN400 (18-09-2015), natehall (23-09-2015), R4N SS (29-09-2015)
Old 16-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Kevin_Mc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Many happy returns btw
Old 16-09-2015, 04:06 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

wow, I love this thread, its blowing my mind reading technical facts rather than the usual B/S my cars cleaner than your competitions...

Im currently learning electronics, and the biggest things that confuse me, is how can you accurately predict that the pump is good for 173 lb/hr at 18v, is this from the datasheets or calulated?

Does it take the additional friction generated out of the equation?

Few Quick calcs of my own..

119lb/hr / 13.5v = 8.82lb/hr per Volt

8.82lb/hr x 18 Volts = 158.76 lb/hr at 18v..

This is of course assuming a linear relationship between voltage out pump output.

Given this, you would need tu run near 20V to get your requisite fuel output.. Or am I missing some obvious facts..

The only way I can get close to your stated figure, is if the pump is rated for 129lb/hr at 13.5 volts, or you have miscalculated using ~12.5 volts for the voltage at 119lb/hr

Also at a quck look, I can only find that the pump is rated to 18V in total..

Last edited by natehall; 16-09-2015 at 04:10 PM.
opposite lock (19-09-2015)
Old 16-09-2015, 04:39 PM
smiley
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 327 Likes on 306 Posts

Petrol heads to pansies happy birthday rod
Old 16-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Happy Birthday Rodders!
Old 16-09-2015, 09:37 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by natehall
wow, I love this thread, its blowing my mind reading technical facts rather than the usual B/S my cars cleaner than your competitions...

Im currently learning electronics, and the biggest things that confuse me, is how can you accurately predict that the pump is good for 173 lb/hr at 18v, is this from the datasheets or calulated?

Does it take the additional friction generated out of the equation?

Few Quick calcs of my own..

119lb/hr / 13.5v = 8.82lb/hr per Volt

8.82lb/hr x 18 Volts = 158.76 lb/hr at 18v..

This is of course assuming a linear relationship between voltage out pump output.

Given this, you would need tu run near 20V to get your requisite fuel output.. Or am I missing some obvious facts..

The only way I can get close to your stated figure, is if the pump is rated for 129lb/hr at 13.5 volts, or you have miscalculated using ~12.5 volts for the voltage at 119lb/hr

Also at a quck look, I can only find that the pump is rated to 18V in total..

Great someone asking questions .
Most of the calcs are just maths using the bsfc as you seem to have grasped.
However you have seized on the part that needs explanation.
I had the following P1 pump info from its flow charts.

P1 @13.5v flows 385 kg/hr at a pressure of 109psi (3.5bar fuel pressure +4.0 bar boost)
1 kg/hr of fuel rate = .31 Imperial gall/hr fuel rate.
using that equation 385kg/hr = 119gall/hr .

To find fuel flow when Voltage is increased I took to the net & found the research done by Kenne Bell a leading light in Fuel Pump Voltage Boosting. There research found that each 1V increase in pump Voltage resulted in a 10% increase in flow. So 13.5v to 18.5v ( 37% increase ) gave a 50% increase in pump flow.

Apply that figure & 119gall/hr would rise to 178.5 gall/hr if Voltage was increased from 13.5v to 18.5v.

Trust that explains my figures & why Volt & flow volume are not linear.
Old 18-09-2015, 07:57 PM
PF Ben

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back Rod, sorry to hear you felt rough I had a touch of PTS a few years back - admitting there's something wrong is the first step to recovery.

I have a question about the nitrous set up and specifically the map. Did you have two maps ie. one with gas one without? Or just one map suited for gas? If yes to either, how was the map altered to suit gas and how did the car drive on the map when you didn't use the gas?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 18-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by PF Ben
Welcome back Rod, sorry to hear you felt rough I had a touch of PTS a few years back - admitting there's something wrong is the first step to recovery.

I have a question about the nitrous set up and specifically the map. Did you have two maps ie. one with gas one without? Or just one map suited for gas? If yes to either, how was the map altered to suit gas and how did the car drive on the map when you didn't use the gas?

Thanks,

Ben
Hello Ben the Nos was a wet system so no changes are needed other than to check for dett and there was no need for retard on it even when running 150hp of it.

Mark
Old 18-09-2015, 08:30 PM
PF Ben

Hello Ben the Nos was a wet system so no changes are needed other than to check for dett and there was no need for retard on it even when running 150hp of it.

Mark
Thanks Mark much appreciated - so the map is as "aggressive" in ignition etc as it would have been had you not been using gas? The little I read had me thinking a map with gas would be different to one without. .. thats even better for my thoughts then!

Thanks again

Ben
Old 18-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks Mark much appreciated - so the map is as "aggressive" in ignition etc as it would have been had you not been using gas? The little I read had me thinking a map with gas would be different to one without. .. thats even better for my thoughts then!

Thanks again

Ben
The jets that cone with it are not anywhere near close to being right near on bore was so that was a big change.
We never had any problem with boost on Rods but I did set a t34 car up and the boost would go up when nos was on strangely.

Mark
Old 18-09-2015, 09:08 PM
PF Ben

Okay thanks Mark.
Old 18-09-2015, 09:44 PM
costina
Live long and prosper!!

Received 371 Likes on 346 Posts

Ben your not are you?

Paul
Old 19-09-2015, 06:22 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Great thread . Good thing is with the Cosworth is the diversity of them. Immaculate ownership looked after for all or a majority of its life so far, For what they were back then , or simply mind boggling maths working out technical stratagies to warrant 1000hp . Cannot wait to see this unfold .

Mike
Caddyshack (19-09-2015)
Old 21-09-2015, 12:09 AM
natehall

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Great someone asking questions .
Most of the calcs are just maths using the bsfc as you seem to have grasped.
However you have seized on the part that needs explanation.
I had the following P1 pump info from its flow charts.

P1 @13.5v flows 385 kg/hr at a pressure of 109psi (3.5bar fuel pressure +4.0 bar boost)
1 kg/hr of fuel rate = .31 Imperial gall/hr fuel rate.
using that equation 385kg/hr = 119gall/hr .

To find fuel flow when Voltage is increased I took to the net & found the research done by Kenne Bell a leading light in Fuel Pump Voltage Boosting. There research found that each 1V increase in pump Voltage resulted in a 10% increase in flow. So 13.5v to 18.5v ( 37% increase ) gave a 50% increase in pump flow.

Apply that figure & 119gall/hr would rise to 178.5 gall/hr if Voltage was increased from 13.5v to 18.5v.

Trust that explains my figures & why Volt & flow volume are not linear.
I also love a good technical conversation, like I say im only learning about these things in a automotive world but very infrequently

Thats very interesting I had assumed it would not be linear but from my experience percentages go down when pushed harder as products are designed to work in the sweet spot at the set voltage.

I havent heard of Kenne Bell before, and I would be very interested in seeing the figures from your car when its completed and if they verify the calculations
Old 21-09-2015, 12:25 PM
PF Ben

Paul, I may be - just as a pre full boost assister more than a power adder (although another 30-40bhp would be nice)! Cheaper than going BW and aftermarket ECU that's for sure (not going to spend more monopoly money numbers on the car as thinking of emigrating).

Anyway sorry Rod back to you. Oh and PS there are still petrolheads in the scene, I think you need to come along to some old Ford meets - much hooliganism still goes on with that crowd! ; )
Old 21-09-2015, 06:41 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by natehall
I also love a good technical conversation, like I say im only learning about these things in a automotive world but very infrequently

Thats very interesting I had assumed it would not be linear but from my experience percentages go down when pushed harder as products are designed to work in the sweet spot at the set voltage.

I havent heard of Kenne Bell before, and I would be very interested in seeing the figures from your car when its completed and if they verify the calculations

I already run my car at 16v via an accuvolt the Fuel pumps work better & the increased spark from the cdi ignition amp is also boosted no down sides. Think of Voltage increase then Flow increase one is a Volume one is not then perhaps the Maths & the increases will fall into place.
Old 21-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Anyway sorry Rod back to you. Oh and PS there are still petrolheads in the scene, I think you need to come along to some old Ford meets - much hooliganism still goes on with that crowd! ; )

Maybe but im not seeing much with the Cossies. They could now enter Vmax or Terminal Velocity like the old Daddy Thrashes & its all laid on but there are almost zero cars now.
Old 21-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Maybe but im not seeing much with the Cossies. They could now enter Vmax or Terminal Velocity like the old Daddy Thrashes & its all laid on but there are almost zero cars now.
To compete there you need 800 plus bhp and you would be up against cars with very good launch control as standard and brilliant drag co efficients. You don't need to do that much to a Nissan Gtr to crack 200 mph...maybe a remap, exhaust and possibly a turbo swap? I think someone cracked 200 at bringers with 580bhp?
Old 21-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
To compete there you need 800 plus bhp and you would be up against cars with very good launch control as standard and brilliant drag co efficients. You don't need to do that much to a Nissan Gtr to crack 200 mph...maybe a remap, exhaust and possibly a turbo swap? I think someone cracked 200 at bringers with 580bhp?

Only 25 cars have ever topped 206mph in 15 years at VMax so its still rare to pull mega speeds.

630bhp is the best at Brunters for 200mph I know of its around 710 for a Cossie. Its not about winning its about setting a PB & proving the car has the Power or maybe a chance to outrun your mate as cars go 2 at a time. A genuine 600bhp Cosworth will pull 190 down Brunters that will get you in the top 10 at most Vmax & in the Top 6 fastest Cossies ever. There are cars running sub 150mph but still having a great day & pleased if they beat the 148 they did last time. Only the Ford GT represents Ford which is sad.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rod-Tarry:
knight7660 (15-11-2015), opposite lock (22-10-2015)
Old 21-09-2015, 10:48 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I with out doubt want to see what mine will do once back lol
opposite lock (22-09-2015)
Old 22-09-2015, 06:57 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Whats the specs on distance vs MPH . At 100mph where was it in relation to 1 1/2 Miles. What is the average speed overall? do you run a gforce meter?
Old 22-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have started the build. Today was 2 hours on the head and another 2 poss tomorrow then Thursday and Friday the full day.

Mark
Old 22-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

I have started the build. Today was 2 hours on the head and another 2 poss tomorrow then Thursday and Friday the full day.

Mark

And there was me thinking you never read your diary . I had completely forgotten it was starting today .
Old 22-09-2015, 07:15 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

Mark
Dose that mean mine is moving up the que
Old 22-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by opposite lock
Whats the specs on distance vs MPH . At 100mph where was it in relation to 1 1/2 Miles. What is the average speed overall? do you run a gforce meter?
Over 180 at half mile a tad over 200 at the mile the last half a mile takes only 8 secs at that speed . Running past 210 will be difficult because if we run 1.5 miles there is only 320metres in which to avoid being killed. You do realise many peeps ( who aint got a clue) call it boring .
opposite lock (22-10-2015)
Old 22-09-2015, 07:26 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

If we hit the mile in 25 secs that's an average speed of 144mph.
Old 22-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Only 25 cars have ever topped 206mph in 15 years at VMax so its still rare to pull mega speeds.

630bhp is the best at Brunters for 200mph I know of its around 710 for a Cossie. Its not about winning its about setting a PB & proving the car has the Power or maybe a chance to outrun your mate as cars go 2 at a time. A genuine 600bhp Cosworth will pull 190 down Brunters that will get you in the top 10 at most Vmax & in the Top 6 fastest Cossies ever. There are cars running sub 150mph but still having a great day & pleased if they beat the 148 they did last time. Only the Ford GT represents Ford which is sad.
Agree but there is a MASSIVE difference between cracking 200 and then 206. I know you know...what extra power do you need to get from 200 to 206 plus the extra revs? And lots of extra space?
Old 22-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Originally Posted by Caddyshack
Agree but there is a MASSIVE difference between cracking 200 and then 206. I know you know...what extra power do you need to get from 200 to 206 plus the extra revs? And lots of extra space?

Yes hit 200mph at the mile & your still well short of 210 at 1.5 miles.
Old 23-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

With the build under way we have made a decision to use FTW Purple & not Methanol that will mean less Power but the decision follows advice from Andy Forrest to quote - ' Methanol is a different game altogether, great if you can nail the tune on it but that's quite tricky in my experience.' . Andy suggest Purple is no more difficult to tune than C85 or E98 but will make 5-10% more Power than any other race fuel he has tried. Mark made the decision because a 'on the edge' engine like mine is not the time to try Methanol for the first time.
That solves one problem we can supply the required fuel @ 16v from our current accuvolt system & don't require the 18.5v system although I would rather like that & may splash the cash anyway.
We will still go ahead with the monitoring of 4 egt probes via the ecu can bus as Mark suggest that info is good to have.
Ive also purchased another bonnet to go back to standard look even finding white aero catches which are no longer available.
Old 23-09-2015, 09:13 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rod what size are the thermocouples going into each exhaust port?
Old 23-09-2015, 09:49 AM
grcossie

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Will you use the same diff ratio as before?

Quick Reply: Big build getting back on track